October Rudy Day

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
It's getting serious now Christmas lovers! When the October Rudy day rolls around most of us will be carving pumpkins and dressing up kids or dogs or buying obscene amounts of candy...but, in the back of our minds we'll know that we are TWO MONTHS out from Christmas day. Two months. And in the US we have Thanksgiving to plan for in November. It's now or never friends. I declare every day to be a potential Rudy day from here on out!!!! Let's put the plans we've been working on for the last 10 months in action and get moving!!!! What loose ends do you need to tie up? What do you want to have accomplished by the end of October? Start or add to those lists. Tick Tock...the clock is moving fast!

Last edited:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Since our thanksgiving is this weekend that is one less thing to worry about for Christmas (of course it doesn't help my Halloween plans).

I did think of it tonight & bought a few more stocking stuffers.

alisonmcg

Retire Member
May 2, 2008
This October Rudy Day is the last day of school for DD10 before the Halloween half term. She actually finishes at midday so I think we'll use the day to decorate the house for Halloween. And to sort out the sweets for the Trick or Treaters. I love this time of year!!!!:)

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
October Rudolph Day launches.....Gift in a jar and Basket Month!!!

It’s Gift in a Jar and Basket Month: Are you making some gifts in a jar or putting together gift baskets? If so this is the month to pull them together! Buy jars or better yet, go on a search of resale shops and find an odd assortment of jars. I love the treasures I find in resale shops! while you’re at it…look for baskets too, at a fraction of the cost! Decide on the ones you will make this year, create a master list and buy ingredients and items!

Master Gift List: It’s time to check the list again. Just like Santa, checking it twice. Add a space for checking when you wrap the gift. This will also help keep track of what is already wrapped and what still needs to be!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
OH. MY. Time is starting to FLY!!!

I am definitely going to start grabbing time whenever I can to do holiday tasks! Today through Monday is going to be devoted to camping prep and camping trip itself - but starting Monday it is ON!

Of course, I have a bake sale to bake for that is next weekend - but that is beside the point! :)

My holiday goals this month:

Get 2-3 batches of cookie dough in freezer
Schedule and complete DS photo session (for inclusion with Christmas cards)
Complete Christmas dinner party invites (prepped for mailing - just waiting for stamps!)
Make a good dent in filling out/addressing Christmas cards
Clear out office closet shelf and stage for stacking of wrapped presents

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
This month I need to get my Christmas cards written out. I hope to finish my version of the HGP this month so I can get back on my regular cleaning schedule in Nov. & Dec. and devote my spare time to Christmas tasks. I hope to be finished by Dec. 1 with gift buying and wrapping (that seems too good to be true). So October should be a pretty busy month and I'll use Rudy Day for some fun things.

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
I need to do some major cleaning this week, and would then like to start my Christmas cards. I think I have a design I want to use...we'll see. I need to check my stash of papers and make sure I have what I need!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
What loose ends do you need to tie up? What do you want to have accomplished by the end of October? Start or add to those lists.

There's a lot of loose ends I need to tie up but most can't be started til mid November. I did, however, started Christmas shopping. I was able to get about 1/2 of the list knocked off. Heeheehee, I was on a mission today. So glad I finally got started. My goal is to have all of the Christmas gift buying done by Black Friday.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I haven't even started Christmas shopping, except for a few stocking stuffers. i REALLY need to do something about this. You are all inspiring me. To be honest, I like all the hustle and bustle type shopping. My kids are old enough that I am not panickly looking for that "go-to-have-it" toy! lol But I have definitely been there and done that.
Cards are my down fall. I always have good intentions, so my goal is to get started on them this month.

Woman

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Fallsington, Pa
I have my Christmas letter written-cards addressed and stamped-just have to get the pictures I want to send to family that lives far away and the special cards for my children-grandchildren and husband-plan to have all of this done by the end of the month-also would like to finish the stocking stuffers by the end of the month-

:dracula:

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I need to buckle down on my cards but have not gotten there yet. I just need a time to sit down and get working.
I usually make something for the women in my family and honesty don't think i am this year. I have been having a mini mid life crisis and right now feel that if i didn't do any thing they won't notice. It maybe wrong but that is how I am feeling (unappreciated and like i don't have much in common w/ them and in some ways i don't). I usually make something and have been trying for 2 yrs to make beaded spider ornaments (and write the legend that goes w/ it) but can't seem to work it out so I have passes on that one yet again. I am baking breads for friends/teacher... gifts this year and if I am feeling in the spirt (less irritable) then they will get bread like every one else. (and maybe another knitted dish rag)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
October Rudy day already!!!!
I missed September and I really have to get my skates on now. The weather is heating up here and i would like to get the heavy jobs done before it gets too hot.
I really have to just double check my lists and make sure that I am on the right track with gifts and baking. Would also like to get some wrapping done. Must start on the Christmas cards too. ARGGGGH I am starting to feel a little panicked.

ladybugsmom

Retire Member
Sep 18, 2008
massachusetts
I usually make something for the women in my family and honesty don't think i am this year. I have been having a mini mid life crisis and right now feel that if i didn't do any thing they won't notice. It maybe wrong but that is how I am feeling (unappreciated and like i don't have much in common w/ them and in some ways i don't).

I am sending you hugs and happy thoughts because you just put into words exactly what I was feeling last year. Totally underappreciated and out of sync with the people around me. I hope the feeling passes. Don't let it suck the joy out of the season for you. If you derive joy from making things, then make them, even if you feel like they aren't totally appreciated. If, however, the process of making them causes you stress, then don't. At least that's the philosophy that I have adopted. Take care!

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I am sending you hugs and happy thoughts because you just put into words exactly what I was feeling last year. Totally underappreciated and out of sync with the people around me. I hope the feeling passes. Don't let it suck the joy out of the season for you. If you derive joy from making things, then make them, even if you feel like they aren't totally appreciated. If, however, the process of making them causes you stress, then don't. At least that's the philosophy that I have adopted. Take care!

Thank you!! I appreciate that. And the realizition that others are/have been there also helped also (ok i know they have but sometimes it helps to hear it). You made a great point about doing it b/c its what I enjoy. I know the teachers and friends appreciat it (esp. food mover everyone likes getting food)

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I had a Rudy Day yesterday. I signed and addressed Christmas cards and ordered a couple of DVDs from Barnes & Noble. I ordered season 1 of Gomer Pyle and Seaon 1 of Hogan's Heros for two uncles. And I bought the 2011 refill pages for a daytimer I gave a good friend of mine on her birthday last year. She's just like me with writing lists and planning.

I just may have another today when I get home. It's cold and has been raining all day. What better way to enjoy the weather than by having a Rudy Day. Maybe I'll bake some sugar cookies. Mmmmmm......

Christmas Paper

MHH Member
Dec 8, 2008
Good Morning Ladies, as It's 4:48 ain the A.M. & I just woke up to go to the Bathroom. I started my Christmas Cards Last night as I watched TV. I bought Hallmark Cards, & was surprised to see they had very little glue on the envelope, so now I have to scotch tape them to keep them closed. That's so unusual for Hallmark. So keep a Watch out for that when buying cards. I wrote 12 last night, which is a Start. I think I'm going to write Hallmark a letter about this & see what happens. I have over 100 cards to write, and I want to get some more done tonight & whenever I get the chance. It's a good thing I only bought 2 boxes, so far. Watch for the ones with the clotheslines with the mittens and the birds, those were the ones with not much glue on them. I have another box with a kitten on it in blue looking up in the sky, I'll check them tonight to see if I have the same problem. I have been doing lots of cleaning, & getting ready for Christmas. I bought 3 pairs of sheer white curtains for my L.R. & I found curtain rods in my closet so I don't have to buy them, but do have to buy new ones for my D.R. Decided to buy all new Mini Blinds for my D.R. as well as I've discovered that mine are Ivory, and not white. There is a difference in the Color. So If you buy Mini Blinds, be sure to check for White-White if that's what you want otherwise you'll get Ivory. I had to go out & buy 2 new boxes of mini blinds because of this for my L.R. I know Lowe's has the white-white. Well that's enough ranting for this morning. It's raining here in N.Y. (Upstate) and after I have my Coffee, should I wash down my Kitchen paneling, clean, go shopping, whatever. So much to do * little time to do it.* You all have a great day.

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Hi everyone,

Well... I also need to start writing my cards. I have bought them all, which is a good start haha. Also, I received my printed return labels in the post the other day. It will be the first time using those - will be great not having to write and rewrite my address :)

I'll need to go over my gift lists again (including stocking stuffers, which I STILL haven't finished). Also, I think it will finally be acceptable (HAHA!) to ask my relatives about their Christmas thoughts.

Hmmm... will need pay something off my laybys...

Oh, October 25th is also the cut off date for my Secret Santa, and I'll need to plan the details for the exchange (I'm trying to decide between a couple of beachside parks for that). I'm starting a new family tradition. A Boxing Day picnic with the extended family, and part of that is the Secret Santa. Otherwise it's too hard for everyone to visit each other!

As for gifts in a jar... I was going to make chocolates, but not everyone likes those and I think it would be too hard to please everyone (at least this year!). I'm thinking now that I'll make spiced mustard. Everyone I would be making for (that is... everyone at Christmas dinner) likes that sort of thing, and it looks pretty easy. Will need to decide whether to buy or make crackers or something else to go with it. Will probably buy that though.

Will need to start settling on other Christmas plans too. The date has been sorted for Carols by Candlelight so that's all good. I believe there are two Nutcracker ballets happening so need to choose which one to see. I'm sure there are other things happening...

Suddenly it all seems so close!!

:)