Signs of Christmas

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

StressLess

Retire Member
Jun 4, 2008
Memphis TN
Hi Everyone,

I guess that I am desperate in this 100 degree weather, but I have really been looking for sign of Christmas lately. Today, I saw Paula Dean's Holiday Cooking magazine, the Holiday Barbie, and the workers at Target and Wal-mart clearing out the summer toys and putting out more toys. Some of the toys had winter themes. Target had a beautiful horse and sleigh for the "Our Generation" dolls complete with sleigh bells. Has anyone else seen signs of Christmas? Or, am I just hallucinating from the heat.

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
I see signs of Christmas in my heart. Does that count? :)

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Of course it counts, Pam! I was in Michael's the other day and they have the shelves readied for their Christmas ribbon and I was beside myself excited!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
This is a fun thread! At the dollar store, today, I saw some Christmas gift bags. One of them was REALLY cute.... and I bought it!!!! I really like it, too!

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
Oh, HobLob has had their Christmas stuff out for weeks: trees, lights, ornaments, crafts, etc. etc.

Kim, I had to smile about you and the Christmas ribbon! I know how much you just LOVE ribbon!

SN, I will have to make a quick trip to Dollar Tree tomorrow after (or maybe before) I meet DD at Joann's!

JeniferDwn

MHH Member
Jul 21, 2010
Florence SC
www.jeniferdwn.blogspot.com
I have bought several things for the elves, several ornaments for Christmas presents and some beads to make necklaces and bracelets. Oh and the stuff for the kids to make little picture frames.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Not a thing here. I remember it was way into October last year before we spotted anything Christmassy. Australian seem to frown on things being in the shops too early. Me of course, I cannot wait.

I am hoping to see signs of Christmas when I visit some US stores next month.

jolly elf

Premiere Member
Jan 23, 2008
New Brunswick, Canada
:gingerbread: Signs are popping up around here.. Michael's has some Christmas ribbon and floral decorations, and when I went to Costco the other day, there were Christmas trees, Christmas cards and some other decorations. I almost forgot, Hallmark also has their tree decorations out. Love it!!!!

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Pam - My ribbon addiction is the talk of family gatherings, especially after it took almost two hours and four HUGE (3' tall maybe?) boxes when my dad packed it for me. I had an amazing ribbon wall in my apartment and now all of it is in storage. I found a box of it the last time we were in storage and huffed and puffed and dragged it off a shelf and pulled it out into the hallway and hoisted it up onto the rolling cart and DH walked up and asked what I was doing and I casually said bringing some ribbon home and he said that's fine as long as you can tell me right now where you are going to put it that you can get to it, see it and use it. I hauled it back into storage with a heavy heart. I MUST get into that bonus room over the garage and clean it out and set it up...then my ribbon can come home where it belongs! Ha!

I get so excited when I see Christmas things. Oh, I have to tell you all this...earlier in the summer - maybe even in May, DH and I were out working in the yard. I have this thing that Christmas has officially arrived when I see the first Christmas tree on top of a car...so, I look up and there is this car driving down the road with...a Christmas tree on top! Complete with tinsel blowing in the wind! I yelled to DH that Christmas was here and he looked at the car and looked at me and said I don't think that counts. The tree was dead and brown but hopefully had not still been in their house but they tied it on their car the way they probably brought it home in December and off they went. It really tickeled me!

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Like Katrina said, people here don't really like seeing Christmas things in stores early. I remember being so happy when I could buy a few things in Target when I was doing the Houseworks plan. Some stock had just come out and I was the only one in the section at the time. I did get some funny looks haha!

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
In saying that... I have seen my first sign of Christmas. The dance school I'm enrolling my daughter in has announced the date for their Christmas Ballet. Also, The Nutcracker has been announced at one of the theatres here as well.

I think I'll go to both!

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Sarah - Planning ahead and know the dates of special Christmas performances is wonderful! SparkleNana and I have often lamented about others not planning far enough out for proper plans to be made. It's good to have those on your calendar this early!

And, I'd never look at you strage for buying Christmas things no matter the month! As a matter of fact, I might just cheer you on!

foxpaw

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
The Hallmark stores in our area have the new ornaments out for this year...some even have some older ornaments (not dated) on clearance for 75 percent off! Picked up a few for gifts. Lots of holiday ribbons out all over and our local Dollar General Market has an isle of Christmas items on top two rows with Halloween beneath it. Love all the holiday items cramming the shelves!

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
We have two Christmas stores, only 20 minutes from my home :) So I can have a little Christmas anytime :smilegifts:

When I ran into the $ store last week, they did have Halloween:ghost:

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
i have bought a fewthings at cracker barrel where we have all the holidays stuff out.

StressLess

Retire Member
Jun 4, 2008
Memphis TN
QVC Christmas starts tonight at 12:00 EST and 11:00 CST. I rarely buy anything, but I do plan to get some wrapping done. It's nice to have it on in the background. Sometimes, I find some interesting gift and decorating suggestions.

alisonmcg

Retire Member
May 2, 2008
There are definitely little signs of Christmas creeping in over here in N Ireland! I was in our local Tesco store on Monday and they have their tinned sweets out. There was also a guy sorting out a shelf in the baking aisle to make way for Christmas Cake ingredients. Local hotels are taking bookings for Christmas party nights and dinner. My DH's work has booked their Christmas dinner.Only little things but a sign that Christmas is most definitely on its way:)

StressLess

Retire Member
Jun 4, 2008
Memphis TN
At work, we are taking our company Christmas picture this Friday. We also are gathering recipes for a Christmas book to be given to our clients.

My girls have started seriously making their Christmas list. My older daughter has decided to save their lists on the computer so they can keep adding things up until Christmas.