St. Patrick's Day Celebration

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Do you celebrate St. Patrick's Day?

It is celebrated all over the USA! Supermarkets have special sales on corned beef and cabbage! Bars have special meals and special celebrations. Oh -- and this is very important! Your children are supposed to wear green -- so they don't get pinched! I don't know what "the wearing of the green" means.... except that it means you do NOT get pinched!

Is it Savanah, GA that dyes a river the color green?
Lots of places sell green bagels.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Not really...when I taught at St. Patrick's parochial school it was a BIG deal. Now, not so much.

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
My hubby and Kiddo are part Irish so we at least do something. Sometimes cornbeef sandwiches, irish soda bread... Hubby usually has an irish beer.

St. Patrick's Day has always been a big deal growing up. We would wear green to school.

I decorate the dining room with a bit of green... nothing too major.

Little Elf

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I'm part Irish so I always try to do something and get my kids involved as well. I love to decorate for it too as after a long winter it's nice to see some green around. LOL! My son always tries to make a leprechaun trap too. I used to have a kind of treasure hunt but I can't find where I put it to use again this year. I think I'll have to make new ones now.

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
San Antonio, Texas dyes it's Riverwalk green for St. Patrick's day.

Pamelajane

Retire Member
Apr 19, 2008
Hertfordshire.UK.
My daughters Birthday is St Patricks Day so we will be celebrating that.

Here in the U.K unless you are Irish it is not something that you would celebrate.

If you are lucky enough to have an Irish friend then you may be invited to join them in true Irish style but at present my Irish friend is not working with me.

IluvChristmas

Retire Member
Dec 28, 2008
Who was it that said "On St.Patrick's Day, everyone is Irish"? Anyway while growing up we would wear green to school on that day or ended up getting pinched! lol I do a little bit of decorating that includes the Irish Blessing plaque. Our city usually has an St. Patrick's Day parade. Litttle celebrations here and there but no big deal.

jingle-jo

Retire Member
Feb 13, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
I love st Patricks day, like Pamelajane, said in the UK we do not normally celebrate unless we are Irish - but that doesn't stop me!!! I decorate the kitchen, we all wear something green on the day, visit the local celebrations. My children always set a leprechaun trap - he always gets away, but some of his coat is left along with bags of leprechaun poop and a trail of shamrock confetti and then they follow the rainbow of clues (treasure hunt) to a crock of chocolate gold coins. this year I plan to cook a traditional Irish meal for us all! Who knows, I might even put as much effort in for St Georges day this year!!!!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
It is not celebrated too much in our families around here (no irish :( ), but my son goes to St-Patrick's high school so they do celebrate.... I usually put up a mini irish tree I bought at the dollar store, get a few green candies & me & the kids wear something green.

The irish are such fun-loving people!

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I always make corned beef and cabbage and Irish soda bread. I remember this being a tradition in my family from the time I was a child, and believe me we were not Irish Jews from Russia:).

Also, although I normally HATE the way the color green looks on me, I get a big "Today I'm Irish" button and wear it all day.

Pamelajane

Retire Member
Apr 19, 2008
Hertfordshire.UK.
Wow jingle jo ,i'm impressed at your St Patricks Day celebrations! I have been thinking that i should celebrate St George's Day whcih i think is April so i'm going to work towards that. As it is the World Cup this year there will be an abundance of St George flags to buy so i will stock up!
I think that is probably why i haven't bothered with St Patricks Day as my DH would complain that i'm not doing St George and that is our saint!! Why are all these days so close together?!!

Pumpkinpie

Retire Member
Jan 13, 2010
FL
I'm not Irish, but I do wear green. It's fun.

My DS's baseball team wears green socks and hats. Even tho the school colors are purple and gold! Before he got married we would go out for corn beef and cabbage after the game. Now, he's busy with my DDIL and 2 DGD's. I say that with joy as they are wonderful.

jingle-jo

Retire Member
Feb 13, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
Pamelajane I have started looking for St Georges flags, and ideas. In Birmingham they have an afternoon of st Georges day celebrations so we will go to that - but decorations are hard to find which I think is hilarious when we can get St Patricks day stuff everywhere. St Patricks day seems to be based around having fun - St Georges day is much more sedate!!!!

Pamelajane

Retire Member
Apr 19, 2008
Hertfordshire.UK.
I will start looking for St Georges Day ideas perhaps we should lead the way in livening things up a bit!

My ds will love it as the story is all about a dragon. Last year i did find some sites on the internet that were encouraging people to celebrate St Georges Day, i'll let you know what i find.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
We have corned beef and cabbage, of course. My husband likes Irish Soda bread so we buy a loaf - no one else here will eat it. When I was little, we always had green eggs and ham for breakfast and then my grandfather would take me into NYC for the St. Patrick's Day Parade. Truthfully, it's not for kids. Philadelphia has a parade also and my DS liked watching the children do Irish step dancing last year, but after 20 minutes or so, he was done.

DS4 has decorated our living and diningroom and made lots of Shamrock cards for family. My youngest DS will turn 1 the day before St. Patrick's Day so we'll be focused on that this year.

Farmermom4

Retire Member
Nov 1, 2007
Our holiday house in North Idaho
I do a bit of decorating for St Pats. day, we always have corned beef and cabbage for dinner and we aren't irish! We all have green socks for the day so we don't get pinched in case we don't have any green clothes. Was looking for a few more decorations but couldn't find much, not that big of a deal in North Idaho.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I have never really celebrated it either. Now, in my younger days I was all about the green beer once a year! Not anymore though!

foxpaw

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
We never celebrated St. Patrick's day when I was a kid, but we did a little when my kids were young. Now, however, my youngest son, married a full-blooded Irish gal and three years ago on my birthday, they blessed us with an Irish grandson.

They live in Albany NY where there is a big parade and lots of celebrations. We have gone there to share this with them for the last several years..lots of decorations, lots of food and lots of drink. More importantly it is a wonderful celebration of the strength of family. We all dress in green for the entire weekend and party.

We are starting this year off with a charity bowling event, (sponsored by DS's company) to support Big Brothers Big Sisters, then on Saturday (13th) is the parade. The party continues all day and into the evening. Sunday brings the attending church, of course with bag pipes, and dinner with all the extended family and friends.

It is fun to hear all the stories that some of the older Irishmen can tell and even some I know they have made up.

Last year, since we had not seen DS and family over Christmas (08), he had a ST Patricks Christmas tree (white tree with green lights and decor) for us and we celebrated our Christmas over St. Patrick's day. It was awesome...

Since belonging to this side of the family, ST Patrick's Day has taken on a whole new meaning for us...