Weekly Craft Challenge~~January 3rd-17th

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I know I said weekly at the top but I think 2 weeks will give us alittle more time to think about what we might like to make for Christmas 2010 and then also if anybody crafts for the other holidays. Some are still putting 2009 away and maybe haven't thought of next years crafts yet. Even tho on one thread I saw many were mentioned. I know of a few things I am doing for next year.

Are people interested in this thread staying around all year or not? Sometimes it helps me to see it listed. And sometimes not. (LOL)

1.) I need to get a bottle of Vodka and start some home-made vanilla (I made some last year 2008 for Christmas gifts and my mom was actually looking for some in the one sack I gave people that had the lotion for feet I make, the seasoning salt and the B&B soap I always give. She liked it and is almost out.)
Last time I let it sat for 4 months so would like to let it sat longer this go around.

Last edited:

Dreamer

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Lawton, Oklahoma
I'm interested :)

In two weeks I need to:

Finish my knitted scarf
Crochet 4 panels for a Twisted Cable afghan
Crochet 3 more "snow bells"

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I'm working on a scarf but I don't know if it's going to be a birthday or Christmas gift. I'm up for regular threads as long as it can be gift crafting and not just Christmas.

January 3 to 17 goals
[ ] Finish half the scarf I'm working on. It's four sections so I need to get 2 sections done.
[X] Decide if I'm going to buy kitchen cotton on Ebay/order it. <I>Done. I ordered sage green kitchen cotton to make dishcloths for gifts. I think sage green is easy for most kitchens I know if I want to gift them.</i>

Last edited:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
- Work on my crochet scarf and if yarn leftover maybe a hat?

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I'm going to try to participate in these threads this year since I plan on making most of my family gifts for Christmas.

In the next two weeks I need to:

[ ] Finish the scarf i'm working on for me. I wrote the deadline on my calendar last week.

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I'm going to try to participate in these threads this year since I plan on making most of my family gifts for Christmas.

In the next two weeks I need to:

[ ] Finish the scarf i'm working on for me. I wrote the deadline on my calendar last week.

What kind of scarf are you making?

I'm working on this one; it's interesting learning the different stitches. I did a section of crochet seed stitch and next I need to figure out the ladder stitch next. Mine is charcoal grey.

http://tinyurl.com/yjv2cwp

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I need to
[ ] finish the scarf I'm knitting for our goddaughter
[ ]do my scrapping calendar (just for me!)

Can you share how to make the homemade vanilla?

Thanks!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
What kind of scarf are you making?

I'm working on this one; it's interesting learning the different stitches. I did a section of crochet seed stitch and next I need to figure out the ladder stitch next. Mine is charcoal grey.

http://tinyurl.com/yjv2cwp

I'm making a pretty simple one I found the pattern for in a holiday crafts magazine I got at Walmart. The only stitches it has are the knit stitch and the purl stitch. It's a deep red color. I'll try to get pics posted on my Whimsical Mom blog.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Since I'm traveling I have alot of time to knit now...

So far I've finished one scarf made with pom-pom yarn and now I'm working on one with "flounce" yarn. Flounce is annoying but it works up prettily. Next I might do sox again.

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
You all are so lucky to be able to knit! I may try the elf slippers this month.
This week I'm working on Christmas card tags. I just need to get my supplies from my neice.

I wish I knew how to knit. All my stuff is crochet. I must say I do not enjoy ladder stitch in crochet.

Dreamer

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Lawton, Oklahoma
I have been teaching myself how to knit using a kit I got at Micheal's. It's been interesting and fun.

My MIL's mom passed away this past year and she always made our knitted dishcloths, so I decided to teach myself so that I can take over making them.

Lana I agree it is nice to get ideas from each other :)

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Lana please share how you make the homemade vanilla. I'm looking around the internet to learn how to do more stitches on my kniffty kniter. I have a drawstring purse in progress on a round one now.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
The way I did it after checking into it was:

I got vanilla beans off of e-bay.

I got a fifth of Vodka and then I got 4 oz. bottles from Michaels (I think from the cake decorating aisle or else soap area) and I split a bean open and placed one in each bottle
and filled it with Vodka. I put the bottles in a container in a dark place and shook them once a day for about 2 months, then would shake them every couple of days till I got ready to wrap them. We strained them and took the bean out.

They say to leave the beans in and just add more vodka when needed.

Some people use Brandy, I have read.

Hope to start some in the next few days. I still have the other bottle with very little in it and the beans so will use the 2 bottles (5ths) and then put all new beans in and let it sit all these months.

They say to add a couple vanilla beans to a couple cups of sugar for vanilla sugar for baking. Need to try it.

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
I like having this thread in order to keep myself working on my crafting.
In the next 2 weeks I'd like to (at least) start my crocheted hedgehog toy and make some tags for next Christmas. Ethan was very impressed with the tags I made for this year even tho no one else noticed them, he did. He commented that they made the wrapping look really nice. (Gee, to think a 15 year old boy will notice and remark on anything but food is a major thing!!!)

Dreamer

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Lawton, Oklahoma
I'm interested :)

In two weeks I need to:

Finish my knitted scarf
Crochet 4 panels for a Twisted Cable afghan
Crochet 3 more "snow bells"

Update for me already

I have 2 of 4 panels done, I may get lucky and be able to do more than 4 of the 8 panels in two weeks at this rate.
Crochet 3 more snow bells
make Ornaments for CIJ Ornament Swap
Try to knit on my scarf

Lana thanks for sharing your vanilla recipe :)

Cindasnow

Retire Member
Nov 6, 2007
I think I would like having this thread too. I am not sure what I want to do for Christmas next year yet. I am still mulling in over in my mind.

For the next couple of weeks I think I want to focus on a few things I didn't get done before Christmas:
()Bible Bag for dd7
()Bible bag for dd4
()Baby Quilt for sister's baby due soon
()horse dress just needs to be sewn up. already cut out

Need to also look at birthdays coming up and Valentine's day

momof9

Retire Member
Dec 3, 2007
LALA Land
moving my list over here...

[/] sort all craft boxes (still packed from the move 1.5 years ago)
[X] pack up adult daughter's room (she moved out)
[ ] move 10 yo son in to adult daughter's old room
[ ] move 5 and 8 yo daughter's into 10 yo room
[ ] set up craft area!!!