What are you adding to your Thanksgiving menu?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ChristmasCheerSpredr

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
owosso michigan
Are you adding anything new to your Thanksgiving menus this year? Anything you HAVE to add? I am blessed with hosting Thanksgiving here at my house this year! So far I am at eleven people- three are kids ages 6-9. I can't wait! I want to put together an amazing menu. So I am starting now. Dh is planning to grill the turkey. I prefer the traditional roasting - make the house smell like it. BUT- I can make the house smell like pumpkin or apple so that works good also! I love the aromas of the house around the holidays!

I plan to do indian pudding. Some guest don't like pie - :thud: But I will still make probably three kinds.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
So far I haven't found anything I want to add this year. I have my eyes and ears open to suggestions!!!

ChristmasCheerSpredr, You sound like you've got a good handle on this coming Thanksgiving.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I'm looking, too. I like to change up the appetizers every now and then, but the main meal stays the same...mostly!

I always do the appetizers for my Mom's house, and I have them at our house on the Saturday after Tgiving for DH's family...almost always BLT dip with crackers and bread squares, and Cranberry Spread with crackers and gingersnaps. I made some jalapeno jelly last year that was good over a block of cream cheese with crackers...I may do that this year, too.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I am adding these really cute cupcakes to the dessert (just for fun). They are chocolate, yum. They look a little more 'grown-up'?
:turkey:
Also I found a roasted garlic and onion jelly my DH is fond of, you just put it on top of room temp. cream cheese and self spread onto crackers. Easy and good! This will be with the appetizers as guests arrive.

StressLess

Retire Member
Jun 4, 2008
Memphis TN
Last year, I baked pecan tarts. This year, I think I'm going to do sweet potato tarts, too. We don't eat a lot of desserts so the tarts don't linger like cake does. I'm also not sure if I want to use corn, squash, or both as side dishes. I like to have at least one of them in a cassarole or on its own. :turkey:

iluv2scrap

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Michigan
www.facebook.com
My mom always makes dinner and its always the same, just like we all like it, lol. Occasionally i will add a different dessert or my sil will make a different side dish. Nothing new planned yet for me at the moment.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Houself the garlic and onion jelly sounds very good.... I'd love to have the recipe!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I have never made sweet potatoes before and I really want to try them this year. My kids are more willing to try new things now, so I think this is the year to try something new. DH doesn't seem to thrilled about it, but he usually eats whatever I put in front of him!!

:friendly: Melanie

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Our menu will likely be the same as always although it would be nice to make a few appetizers. We never really do that (don't know why). Cathymac, I remember that blt dip from last year. Would you mind sharing how to make it.

momtomaddie

Retire Member
Jul 17, 2008
East Central Indiana
I don't get to make many things for our get togethers. But then again we go to 4 different dinners on Thanksgiving. But since I got married last year, I have been introduced to scalloped corn. My in-laws go nuts over this stuff! So, I guess I will learn to make it.

give_me_a_latte

Retire Member
Jul 21, 2008
SE GA
Well, Thanksgiving this year is at my in-laws...and she and I view cooking in entirely opposite ways!! I do everything from scratch, and favor those long detailed take-all-day recipes...and she prefers to open boxes! LOL.... But my husband says I have to make my sweet potatoes so he doesn't get stuck with the canned ones. And then I'll just do dessert, since that's my favorite thing to make. I'm probably making a traditional pumpkin pie...then either pecan or some other type (I have to ask what everyone wants). And then I'll make my *famous* pumpkin whoopie pies. Probably nothing new, since my in-laws never really go crazy over dessert...It's discouraging to spend all day baking for them, only to have them not even sample what I made. I'll save the new recipes for my little family and my husband's co-workers!

doodlebugs

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
NC
You all are making my mouth water! Everything sounds so yummy!

Unfortunately this year, I'm on a gluten restricted diet! I'll have to really think about what I'm going to cook. (I'm new at the gluten thing.) I'd really love to stick to traditional dishes. Any suggestions?

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
doodlebugs,
There are a few gluten free people on this site!!! We'll help you with recipes and tricks for gluten free living.

Instead of flour for your gravy just use corn starch. Works great and no difference in taste.

The only thing I find different for Thanksgiving is the dressing. I've used gluten free bread for it but it never is the same as regular bread. Gluten free is so much heavier.

I love Bi-Aglut pasta. It's the best pasta I've found. My guests never know they are eating gluten-free. It's made from corn starch, potato flour and lupin flour holds it's shape and doesn't fall apart. It's usually sold out so you know it's good. I order by the case when I find it. http://www.biaglut.com/ENG/Store_locator_/default.aspx

For sandwiches and toast I use Glutino Flax Seed bread. I find it in the frozen section of my health food store.

For hamburger/hot dog buns and the world best pizza crust I use Grandma Ferdon. It's frozen baked goods and one of our health food stores carries their products. I think the company can ship so check them out. http://www.grandmaferdons.com/

Pamela's Baking mix is good flour with good taste. I use it for most baked goods, cookies and pancakes.
http://www.pamelasproducts.com/

For corn bread, pie crust and brownies I use products from Gluten-Free Pantry.

I feel so much better since I am gluten free my whole kitchen is now gf.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Isn't this a great thread?

Remember -- Thanksgiving isn't just the meal, it's the left-overs too! And the other special meals if you celebrate with family and friends. For leftover - (1) turkey sandwiches (2) PIE (2) some gravy/potatoes/stuffing/cranberry sauce. We go to a relatives' house for the actual Thanksgiving dinner. But I cook for a couple of days so we have plenty of leftovers at our own house.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I plan on making a couple new appitizers this year. I aways make pepperoni bread but I also plan on making sausage cheese balls this year. I am thinking about making some beer bread and a couple different dips along with a veggie tray. We usually eat later in the day around 5ish I want to do an appitizer buffet spread for lunch/snacks.

RosieLB

Retire Member
Jan 2, 2008
Since dh and I moved away from the family (they're in the Midwest) last year, we'll probably do another orphans' Thanksgiving.

I generally do the traditional - turkey, stuffing, spuds, the works. I'm really tempted to try something new this year...I just don't know what....

You all are making my mouth water, though. :-D

ChristmasCheerSpredr

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
owosso michigan
It sounds like most of us stick with the traditional and don't substitute anything for something that we HAVE to have on the table, just add to it.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Thanks's Cathymac. I'm going to make this appetizer when I cook Sunday dinner on the 21st. I'm having a few of the girls over for 'girls night' to celebrate the start of fall. I haven't really cooked all summer and they are looking forward to my home cooked meal.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
doodlebugs , I have Celiacs, so no gluten in my home :flower:

For Thanksgiving try:
http://www.glutenfreecookingschool.com/archives/gluten-free-cornbread-dressing-recipe/
http://www.heythattastesgood.com/2007/11/thanksgiving-and-lots-of-recipes.html

Many other recipes can be adapted to make them GF with similiar results. I found it easier to just change and make some new traditions.

Example? I don't eat pie for Thanksgiving (I know shocking) however, my family loves our Maple Pumpkin Crème Brûlée, and Caramel Baked Apples - served with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream. yum