What are you adding to your Thanksgiving menu?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Houseelf -- I do love pie, but - your Maple Pumpkin Creme Brulee and Carmel Baked Apples - wow! I would not miss pie if those two beauties were on the dessert table! :party:

doodlebugs

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
NC
Ladies~ thank you so much for your help steering me in the right direction with gluten - free!! Now I can enjoy the holiday!! :pink:

Cinnamonstix

Retire Member
Sep 4, 2008
NB, Canada
This year I am changing things up, I always do the traditional turkey and sides but this time I am hoping to get some turkey breast(if it goes on sale) and pound it flat and just roll it around the stuffing and bake it up. Then make a gravy with hand whipped potatoes with homemade creamed corn and pickled carrots in sauce. Oh my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Still unsure about the dessert, it's usually cheesecake and pumpkin loaf but this year that's changing also, I'm thinking of making something with maple syrup...

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I love the turkey breast idea. I might just do that myself now that you brought it up!

I'm going to make chocolate pecan pie this year..ohh..that's exciting..LOL
but really I've never had it and it always looks so dang yummy in the pictures. I'm just not the greatest pecan pie maker. I always over cook it, waiting for it to set up. So I might try this one before the holidays as a test run!

Cinnamonstix said:
This year I am changing things up, I always do the traditional turkey and sides but this time I am hoping to get some turkey breast(if it goes on sale) and pound it flat and just roll it around the stuffing and bake it up. Then make a gravy with hand whipped potatoes with homemade creamed corn and pickled carrots in sauce. Oh my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Still unsure about the dessert, it's usually cheesecake and pumpkin loaf but this year that's changing also, I'm thinking of making something with maple syrup...

You can get a bone in turkey breast and still do the traditional way if you wanted!!!

Savannahmom

Retire Member
Sep 25, 2008
Savannah GA
I want to learn to make homemade mac and cheese with the crunchy top like my granny made.It's not new but I want to make my late DH's family Asparagus casserole.I hadn't been able to make it without Breaking down.It's really good just don't tell them what ity isuntil after they eat. We did and now our "family' freinds asked for it.

Renee

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer

cat46

MHH Member
Oct 3, 2008
:turkey: I have a new Creamed Spinach recipe Im going to make for Thanksgiving dinner along with to standby asparagus.
cat46

tiffanylh

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
:friendly: We generally stick to the same traditional menu every year which we really look forward to with great anticipation. This year I will be trying a new dessert or two for our friends to enjoy and perhaps more child friendly desserts as well. We are having friends over after dinner for dessert, and there will be a lot of kids running around who are not too interested in pumpkin pie or baked apple dumplings. I will get suggestions from my kids and/or talk to their parents about favorite desserts. Of course, you can never really go wrong with cookies! We are such cookie monster kind of family here!
:turkey: :turkey: :turkey: :turkey: :turkey:

Also, a couple of years ago I found it helpful to type out my Thanksgiving menus as well as the shopping lists that corresponded to the menus including beverages and snacks. We usually have family and or friends staying as guests during Thanksgiving weekend, so on Thanksgiving morning we usually have a substantial breakfast such as a breakfast casserole or scrambled eggs, bacon, and various muffins or breads and fruit. Lunch usually consists of light snacks throughout the day while we watch the Macy's parade, football games, and cook our meal. Dinner is usually served between 3 and 4 pm. We sit around, chat, eventually clean up some of the dinner dishes, and then we have dessert while we visit or watch a Christmas movie. By having all of my lists and menus planned out, I can start shopping as early as September for some of the ingredients for our meal. Because our guests/family stay for the entire weekend, I also have lists of ingredients for easy meals or casseroles to prepare in advance and stash in the freezer so that I am not overwhelmed with cooking. And, last but not least, we always cook way more than needed for the Thanksgiving meal, because we LOVE to have leftovers while we start the Christmas decorating marathon! :grin: :grin: :grin: I have found it so helpful not to reinvent the wheel each Thanksgiving for our meal. Of course, if we ever want to add something new, than I can simply add it to the list which is stored on my computer and in my planning notebook. Hope this is helpful--sorry it is so long-winded ::eek:rnament:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
tiffanylh we also receive all weekend on thanksgiving. Would love to see the kind of things you prepare for all those meals.