what is your menu this year?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

OneHappyMommy

MHH Member
Oct 25, 2008
i hope this hasn't been asked already lately!

we're having:
turkey
cornbread-chicken dressing
sweet potato-onion-bacon bake
green beans with warm bacon dressing
squash with onions
deviled eggs (relish tray with olives and pickles)
salad greens
nashville house biscuits

dessert:
pumpkin crunch
sf apple pie (without artificial sweetners)
and i'll have a bowl of nuts sitting out to munch on :turkey:

iluv2scrap

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Michigan
www.facebook.com
turkey
stuffing
mashed potatoes
gravy
brown and serve rolls
cream corn
green beans and carrots
salad
celery with cream cheese
black and green olives
jellied cranberry sauce
pumpkin pie
oreo stuff

supermom315

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Deptford, NJ
Because of schedule & personal conflicts I have only my family to cook for at Thanksgiving then we either rent or go to a movie.

My Regulars are
Turkey
Gravy
Mashed potatoes
Baked Sweet Potatoes
Stuffing
cranberry sauce from a can
Pumpkin Pie

The other sides usually vary but last year I made a version of Green Bean Casserole that was "ok" and an asparagus dish that was fabulous ( I need to find the recipe again).

Hagn
Tina

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I think we're going to my mom's this year again but the menu is usually the same:

Turkey
green beans
homemade noodles
mashed potatoes or hashbrown casserole
gravy
stuffing
rolls
veggie platter
deviled eggs
pumpkin pie
chocolate chip pie
cherry pie

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
We stay home for Thanksgiving and I am not sure who will be joining us yet.

Our menu
Breakfest: Stuffed french bread & french toast casserole

Noon: Fruit & Veggie trays, pepperoni bread, cheese & crackers tray, pickles and olives

Dinner:
Turkey & stuffing
Gravy
Mashed potatoes
GreenBean Casserole
Corn
Broccoli and Cheese
Candied yams (debating)
Rolls

Dessert: homemade pies: Sweet potato, pumpkin and apple

christmasallyear

Retire Member
Jan 5, 2008
My tentative menu, which I drew up today:

Appetizers:

Vegetables & dip
crackers & tapenade
drinks (I typed another word for alcoholic drinks and it got bleeped - very strange - is c0ck-tails a bad word or something?)

Dinner:

turkey
mashed potatoes
gravy
dressing
rolls
wine

Dessert:

pumpkin pie (of course)
coffee

Last edited:

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
We will have basically the same menu at my Mom's on Thanksgiving and at our house on the Saturday after for DH's family.

Cranberry spread with crackers
BLT dip with crackers, French bread slices and veggies
veggie tray with spinach dip
Sunrise Thanksgiving punch

Turkey
Cornbread dressing
Ham
potatoes-either scalloped or mashed
Green beans
Corn
Sweet Potatoes
Rolls
Iced tea

Assorted desserts (I make Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake)
Coffee
Hot apple cider

We potluck both meals...however, when it's at my house I have a tendancy to make the majority of the meal...I am fanatical about making sure we have a balanced meal and not five dishes of corn, three of green beans and a dozen rolls. That has happened!

conniemac

MHH Member
Oct 20, 2007
Okay, this might sound bad to all of you but I purchase the ready to heat and serve meals from the grocery store. I work through the day on Wednesday and I have no time to cook for hours. My in-laws always come to Virginia to spend Thanksgiving with us. In fact, it was my mil's idea to do this. I have to say, It has worked out great in the years past. We add a couple of our favorite dishes such as sweet potatoe casserole and pimento spread and crackers, but everything else comes from the store. Including the pies. The only thing I do cook is Ultimate French Toast in the mornings. It's a favorite of the whole family. We sit and eat and look at the ads. In fact, it's also a tradition for my fil & dh to get up and go buy a newspaper for us on Thanksgiving morning as we don't subscribe to the news. We spend hours pooring over those ads and making lists for Black Friday while the kids watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade on tv. We eat dinner around 4pm and watch football all day. We then watch a movie and snack the rest of the evening. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday!

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
turkey
dressing
mashed pot. gravy
ham
yams
pototo salad
green beans
corn pudding
deviled eggs
greens
cranbeary sauce
rolls
punch coffee tea and sodas
cookies pumpkin pie and sweet pototo pie

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Connimac I think what works is the best for you. It's much better to buy from the store than not to do anything at all because you don't have the time. The fun is in the being together.

Little Elf

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Christmasallyear... you asked (I typed another word for alcoholic drinks and it got bleeped - very strange - is c0ck-tails a bad word or something?)
It's the work c0ck in c0ck-tails that was considered bad I think. ;) LOL!
As for my menu:
Turkey
mashed potatoes
cranberry sauce
stuffing
deviled eggs
pickled beets
mixed vegies
gravy
pumpkin pie
apple pie

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
LOL on the word bleeping! Ah well...the times we live in...

I am not aware of the full menu for this year since we are going to Cousin Linda's, but I am brining the following:

Herb Cream Cheese Puff Pastry Crescents

and

Cheescake

I haven't decided yet what kind of cheesecake. The last couple of holidays I have made Southern Living's recipe for New York Cheesecake and topped it with cans of cherry pie filling. Which is gooood!

But I'm toying with the idea of trying a different recipe this year. Or maybe just a different topping. Must per-ponder on this one!!!

iluv2scrap

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Michigan
www.facebook.com
I think it has something to do with the new board. It seems to reject certain words. I also noticed on someone elses post, they were trying to write H*llmans mayo and the h*ll word got blipped out, lol. I'm not sure why it does this.

christmasallyear

Retire Member
Jan 5, 2008
Okay, thanks.

Seems very silly that we cannot type everyday ordinary words. Perhaps the word filter function can be amended somehow.

All the menu's sound wonderful. Lot's of similarities I've noticed. A testament to tradition!

Also, where are the emoticons? Are we limited to the few smiles at the bottom of the page? What happened to all the colorful ones?

christmasallyear

Retire Member
Jan 5, 2008
Also, how do you "view your posts" on this new format? There used to be a function for that. Also there was a "view active posts".

Sorry, I'm lost!

Last edited:

grandma bucket

Retire Member
Oct 5, 2009
My sister hosts Thanksgiving and it is pot luck.
Our yearly menu staples are,

Turkey
Gravy
Mashed potatoes
stuffing
turnips
relish tray
sweet potato casserole
rolls
green bean casserole
buttered carrots

There will be a fruit bowl
nuts
apple pie
pumpkin pie
lemon pie
chocolate and banana creme pies
cherry cheese pie
pecan pie

In addition to all of our siblings that make up the above menu we now have grown children among us and a couple of friends that will add more dishes to the menu.
That's a lot of food to be thankful for.

Merry

MHH Member
May 2, 2008
Oh my, all these delicious posts are making me very hungry!! We do the traditional menu. Whenever I tell my family I'm thinking of making something different they get nervous!! Through the years I have had some disappointing dishes!! So I try to keep to the traditional and add what I might think is an interesting dish. This year we are having
Turkey
dressing
mashed potato
gravy
fresh cranberry sauce
can cranberry sauce - my boys favorite, go figure!!
green beans or peas in a butter sauce
candied yams
rolls
cranberry bread
pumpkin bread
apple pie
pumpkin pie
assorted chocolates
maybe some pastries

I would like to make a special squash dish or pumpkin... I don't know yet. Gosh, I just can't wait!!!!

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
Ha! Pretty funny that we can't type c0ck- tails! Reminds me of Webkinz - it wouldn't let my daughte renter her perfectly beautiful name - Mic*elle. A sad commentary on our times that sites have to be so much on the alert!

I'm not sure what's on our menu yet because I haven't yet recieved the email from my BIL. We always join our in-laws for dinner out at BIL's club and it's always a wonderful buffet. Usually some delicious soups like Pumpkin bisque, along with turkey, beef and other yummy entrees. The desserts are to die for! Can't wait!