Where do you keep your Christmas dishes?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

zchristy

Santa's Elves
I have a fairly extensive collection of dishes for Christmas - -a pitcher, a serving tray, several sets of dishes, mugs etc. I have done a lot of purging/de-cluttering and organizing in my kitchen and am hoping this week to move them to the cupboard above my fridge...so they are stored more securely than in boxes, but out of the way during the year so they're still special. :)

I am wondering, where do all of you keep your Christmas dishes?

mommyby3

Retire Member
Oct 24, 2007
Beautiful North Carolina
I keep mine in the top of my hutch. It has glass doors so I can see them everyday.I use mine from Thanksgiving to Christmas. We eat every meal off of them.

Of course they have snowmen on them :bigsnow:

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
My set I keep in the bottom of the kitchen cabinets. I get them out around Thanksgiving and use till Christmas decorations are taken down. Last year they came out about Nov. 15th or a few days earlier. My nephew came home for Thanksgiving and we decorated about 1 1/2 weeks earlier.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Mine are stored in the bottom of my pantry, along with the glasses and linens that are Christmasy. We start using them on the Monday after Thanksgiving and use them until Christmas Day. I am anxious to see them again!!

Debbieoz

Retire Member
May 21, 2008
Rural Kansas
I have christmas china, so it is stored with my other good china in the cabinet above my refrigerater. We have started using it more since the kids are older. In the past, it only came out for christmas eve dinner with the whole family around (20+).

pkcrafty

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Central Arkansas
I also have mine stored with my china in the glass china hutch. I have them in plate protectors and I take them out the weekend after Thanksgiving - I put the everyday china back in the plate protectors and store them until January.

Chinook Girl

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Mine are stored in a rubbermaid container in the basement. Everything is wrapped in diaper flannelelette that I made pockets for each plate, bowl and glass. We usually start using them Dec 1.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I have most of a pack of paper cups with santa on them (I say most, as although DD is banned frmo them until Christmas when the tree is up, she LOVES them and wants to drink out of them all year) - which I keep in the covered dresser in the sunroom (open plan room off the kitchen/diner). I keep all my good crockery and the silverware in there and we use them whenever we have visitors, are doing a big Sunday lunch (even just for the 3 of us) or if we simply run out of clean everyday dishes (my good ware is a relatively plain and hardwearing type that I am happy to use often, I just want to break all the current everyday stuff before I put it into everyday use itself).

If I ever manage to clear out that cupboard, I may find some room in it for extras, and then I will pick up a couple of special Christmas plates and ware.

Ms_Speedy_Elf

MHH Member
Aug 16, 2008
Tennessee
mymerrychristmas.com
Right now mine are stored in the bottom of the closet in a cardboard box because I just bought them this year at a flea market .After Christmas they will be carefully packed away back in the box and stored down in the basement.

As I said I got my Christmas dishes at a flea market .It is a 4 piece setting(plate's,bowl's ,saucer's,cup's ) sugar bowl,gravy urn,butter dish,salt and pepper shaker's,wooden serving utensil's(spoon's,spatula,fork) and holder ,spoon rest ,pie plate and lid,hot plate holder(what you set hot dishes on)creamer,soap dispenser and napkin holder.I paid less then $20.00 for it.It has a snowman family on it .

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
My MIL gave me a bunch of her Christmas dishes last year so I have yet to use them. I'll probably bring them out this year though. Right now they are downstairs in the garage stored in their cardboard boxes on a shelf.

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
I have my mom's Correlle Christmas dishes stored in a box in my living room closet. I also have some plastic dishes for my Sweetie and me to use...just enough for two. I saw another service for four at a flea market for $10. I may go back and check them out. :grin:

:bigsnow:

I'm a believer

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
My older set with holly on it is the buffet in the dining room but my Maxwell & Williams 12 days of Christmas set I return to their boxes and keep stored in the garage out of harms way. I think this year I will get the holly one out for evreyone to use early this year, I had never thought of using it before Christmas :grin:

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I keep our Christmas dishes and holiday mugs in the dinning room hutch. I like looking at them year round and if we decide to do a CIJ dinner the dishes are in easy reach.

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
This year I decided to move just my Christmas dinner plates into the same cabinet as my everyday dishes so I could use them on Rudolph days and the whole month of December. I have an armoire in the dining room for my books, but I use the bottom shelf to hold other Christmas dishes as well as some other dishes I don't use everday. I also have a trunk by the front door that holds Christmas and other entertaining pieces. ::eek:rnament:

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Right now the dishes are in the kitchen cupboard with my everyday dishes. Before I had 2 kids, I used to display them in the china cabinet from December to February. We use them during that same time, but I just keep them in the kitchen. I have lots of completer pieces in the attic that only come down as needed. I stopped putting them in the china cabinet and switching them out when it was too time consuming to transfer out the 16 place settings of china that I inherited and put in the Christmas stuff.

They are Winterberry, so they are great for the whole winter.

Lisa

Gidget

Premiere Member
Nov 24, 2007
Boston
The china cabinet in my butler's pantry is used for storing seasonal china and crystal. Once the season is upon us, I put my Spode Christmas place settings and serving pieces in the kitchen cabinets for everyday use through Twelfth night.

It is wonderful to hear all of the preparations for a festive table ...

zchristy

Santa's Elves
Well, I got my dishes moved up today - - it feels nice to know they're close by instead of packed away downstairs. :grin:

I also have a new box started for the thrift store with some of the excess and a couple of ceramic cookie molds that I have never used. Love that I've been able to get rid of the clutter and make room for the things I really love. :)

Snowbelle27

Santa's Elves
Oct 13, 2007
West Midlands, UK.
Right now my Christmas dishes are in one of my kitchen cabinets but they are not very easy to get at. When I get to the kitchen as part of the HHP I will consider moving them to a better location, as I would also like to add to my collection as I don't have many.

:frosty: