Where do you keep your Christmas dishes?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
I have a decent sized closet upstairs that holds all of my Christmas stuff: decorations, wrapping paper, Spode dishes, mugs, serving pieces, etc. I like having everything in one place!

Funny thing, the closet is 98% Christmas, 2% all other holidays! lol I seem to put less and less of other holidays out, and I've purged along the way so I don't have much left.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Sheepishly I admit that about three years ago my parents bought me a wonderful set of dishes with snowflakes on them. After I opened the first two boxes, it was decided by all that there was no need to open the last box since it was more of the same (read: same wonderful "I love them" dishes"). My parents have not been down for Christmas since then and I sadly admit I've never used them. The third box is still wrapped in Christmas finery and all of the boxes are in the floor of my boyfriends guest room closet. :frown: BUT, my parents are coming for Christmas this year and you had better belive that I'll have those dishes out, front and center! Thanks for this topic - it made me realize how I wished I had been using them all along.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Mine are still at the store since I still don't have any holiday dishes. I have two Christmas plates for cookies, they are above the refrig in a cabinet. Pretty sad to only have two.

iluv2scrap

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Michigan
www.facebook.com
I have some Christmas dishes and they are still in the original box lol. I found some other Christmas glasses in the garage the other day, so i;m hoping to use everything this year and then decide on a location so it is all together. I like the idea of everything in a tote in the basement, lol, so we shall see. :)

thechristmasnut

Retire Member
Jun 30, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
I store mine in the cabinets above my frig... For the longest time those cabinets sat empty becuase there just hard to get to for everyday things so I started keeping mine up there a last Christmas.

tiffanylh

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
I, too, have stored mine in the kitchen cabinets above the fridge until just last week. I transferred them to a closet that is closer to my dining table. I recently found some very cute fall leaf plates that I will use from now until Thanksgiving. Christmas dishes always make an appearance Thanksgiving Weekend--usually Sunday evening after getting the tree decorated. We use them every night for dinner until New Years Day. After relocating them last week, I could hardly stand to put them away! I am so looking forward to using them again! I guess my fall leaf dishes will have to tide me over until then. I just love this entire season of the year! If you are looking for a storage place, think of a safe place out of reach of little hands, as well as a place that doesn't take up valuable kitchen space, especially if your kitchen is small. However, if you do have the space, store them wherever you most use them. For instance, do you use your dishes at an eat- in kitchen or a dining room? Do you use them everyday during the holidays or only on weekends during the Christmas season? Try to think of the most functional place to store them daily during the holidays so that you can really enjoy them. Most of my friends seem to swap out their casual holiday dishes for their everyday dishes and store them in their kitchen cupboards when they are not in the dishwasher or being used on the table. Make them easy to use and store so that you can have the most enjoyment from using them.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I have a ton of Christmas dishes, platters, teapots, teacups, etc.

About 1 year ago, BIL gave us a tall stand-alone kitchen cabinet with slide out drawers.

I've used this to store all my Christmas dishes, oversized serving pieces, etc.

It is down in the unfinished part of our basement, very near the canned goods pantry.

Eventually, DH will build me a china cabinet for the dining room, and I will probably move at least some things upstairs.

During the holiday season, I end up either carrying things up and down the stairs as needed, or leaving things sit out on the counter temporarily.

Would be much better to have that china cabinet!!! :grin:

MissBrittany

Santa's Elves
Aug 25, 2008
Florida
I have several dish sets in different themes and motifs for different seasons and occasions. The ones that could be used for a variety of occasions are in a special cabinet over the stove, and the rest of the really festive ones are in one of those plastic storage crates that are made for rolling under the bed, along with their corresponding placemats, napkins, rings, etc. But we will be moving soon, so they will likely all be stacked in the extra cabinets then. :rudolph:

Snowbelle27

Santa's Elves
Oct 13, 2007
West Midlands, UK.
I have just moved mine from a kitchen cabinet into a sideboard in my dining room. I already had my 'best' set in there and thought it would be better to store them in there all together. Can't think why I didn't do this sooner, it feels so much better already.

:frosty:

qltmrkt

Premiere Member
Ahorsesoul said:
Mine are still at the store since I still don't have any holiday dishes. I have two Christmas plates for cookies, they are above the refrig in a cabinet. Pretty sad to only have two.

Right there with ya.....I think my problem is there are so many pretty sets out there I could never decide which one I wanted. I'll just wait for next year when there are 10 new styles out to confuse me even more.