Your best Thanksgving tips?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

InstantMom

Retire Member
Aug 2, 2008
I must finally be a grown-up, because my mom has passed the torch to me - I am hosting Thanksgiving dinner this year for the first time! I am 51% thrilled, 49% nervous wreck. Any words of wisdom (or advice on what NOT to do) would be very welcome! TIA!

MaryAnn :pilgrim:

Ahorsesoul: If this is in the wrong forum, please let me know where I should be instead. Thanks!

JodyLynn

Retire Member
Jul 18, 2008
It's very exciting to host Thanksgiving! Congrats! I think all of us can sympathize......it's both exiciting and nerve wracking.

The biggest challenge (for me anyway) is getting everything to the table hot (or at least warm). The turkey needs a long time to cook, but then you've got all those sides! My advice is to make a menu - it's never too early. Make a list of cooking times and oven temps for each dish. Then work out a schedule so that everything makes it to the table hot. You may need to work backwards to figure out what time to put the turkey in.

And ANYTHING you can make ahead or prep ahead, do so! It will make the big day go a lot smoother.

One last tip - have some veggies and dip or other munchies for folks to nibble on until the meal is ready. The smell of that turkey can drive folks batty, especially children, so having something to munch on will take the edge off.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Keep it Simple. My best advice!

Be sure to ask the other people to bring items to help you out. I'm sure your Mom will give you lots of help. Take it and adapt it you suit you. Everything does not have to be exactly like your mom does. You will do wonderful because you are already planning.

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
It'll be fun...when it's over! No, seriously, these tips have helped me alot...the turkey, for better or worse is the BIG deal, so spending some extra time/expense/prayers on it is a plus....sides can be done a couple of ways, you can do them, mostly ahead, or if your guests have a special dish, or a family favorite, they can bring it, because they will ALL ask if they can bring something...also, even if you are sure you have enough silverware, dishes, pots, etc...let your mom bring an few extras,--never hurts--

one thing that we always do is something we call "granny's never ending dessert bar"...after the main meal, everyone is generally stuffed to the eyeballs, so an assortment of desserts are set out, with pretty DISPOSABLE plates, utensils, etc...and it is strictly serve yourself...which lets people take as much or as little as they want, whenever they want, with minimal clean-up.

And I TOTALLY agree, having something to snack on before dinner is really helpful..doesn't have to be much, even some Chex mix set out in bowls is fine..but it keeps them out of the kitchen!

You will do fine, and it will be FABULOUS :pilgrim:

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Chafing dish. :pilgrim: I love mine! It has three sections (I use for vegetables: corn, glazed ginger honey carrots and broccoli) Ensures my vegetables are as hot as the turkey and other dishes.

I also love baking dishes that can go straight to the table from the oven - and that retains their heat for a bit (like Pampered Chef).

Slow-cookers!!

If the turkey is the highlight of the show, gravy is the runner-up ;-)

I do most of my sides (Spicy Sweet Potato soup, Jello salad, cranberry sauce, stuffing, breads...) the evening before, so all that remains is the final steps (baking, stuffing...) the morning of.

Thanksgiving is MY holiday to host always :turkey:

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
The more I read about other folk's Thanksgiving celebrations, the luckier I realize I am! We have always pot-lucked our family gatherings...and now that I host DH's side on the Saturday after Thanksgiving for their extended family celebration, I'm even more thankful. Of course, I usually end up doing the "big" stuff...turkey and dressing, the ham, etc. I do the potatoes usually, so that they can be hot when we eat, and I always do my "Southern Style Crockpot Green Beans", but I generally let everyone else do sides and desserts, and even the rolls. If anyone offers to help, by all means, let them. Make a list of all the sides you want to include and have it handy when someone calls or asks.

Paper products are perfectly acceptable if it helps you with clean up. I use pretty paper plates and napkins for the appetizers (while everyone is arriving), "real" dishes and fabric napkins for the main meal, then another coordinating paper setup for dessert. And I whole heartedly agree with the "dessert buffet" idea. In fact, our whole meal is buffet, just because we have around 40 or so at my mom's house on Tday, and around 25-30 at our tiny little cottage on the Saturday after.

The time line idea is also key. I agree...work backwards on that. Figure out what needs to be on the table when, how long it takes and count back. Also...more good advice is to do EVERYTHING you can early. Excellent tip. I try to do a relish tray with pickles, olives, etc and sometimes I do it a couple of days early, wrap it as tightly as I can with plastic wrap and put it in the extra fridge. Same with desserts, the dressing (my neighbor makes her Christmas dressing at the same time, then freezes it...), the ham (if you have it...that may be a Southern thing..) and any thing else you can figure out to do early.

Starting the week of Tgiving, all of my serving dishes come out of the cabinet and sit on the counter with sticky notes stuck to them saying "cranberry sauce" or "turkey" or "salad", so that when it's time to dish up those items, I'm ready!

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
Make whatever you can ahead of time. Cut up veges and store in ziplock bags. Set your table the night before-- cover with another table cloth or bedsheet. That way you have one less things to worry about on Thanksgiving morning and the cover cloth keeps the dust off and fingers off as well.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
This is a great thread! I second JodyLynn's idea of writing out a timeline. Work backwards. Start with the time you want to sit down to eat. Then, write out all the steps.

For example. 5:00 Sit Down
4;45 Put Turkey on Table
4:30 Put gravy and mashed potatoes on table

even if you don't exactly follow the plan -- it helps you be a little more realistic about how long things really take. :turkey:

Cindasnow

Retire Member
Nov 6, 2007
I am loving this thread. This year I will be hosting Thanksgiving as well I just am not sure right now who is coming. We usually spend Thanksgiving with my DH family as traveling to both is impossible and then the majority of Christmas is with my family. We are always the ones to travel. We just moved into a new house in January big enough to host and dh told everyone that we were having Thanksgiving at our house in 2008 they were all welcome to join us but we were not traveling. I am so excited I get to do things my way and cook in my own kitchen. Loving all the tips you all are sharing and cannot wait to hear more. One quick question: Cathymac can you tell me more about crockpot green beans?

THanks everyone!! :pilgrim:

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Something that I do that make things a bit easier for me is make the mashed potatoes earlier in the day and then transfer them to a crock pot set on warm. Check on it every so often and stir, you may need to add a little more milk so they do not dry out. When trying to get all the side dishes done and ready this one less you have to worry about. My crock pot has an insert that come right out so when I am ready to set all the food on the table, the insert comes out of the crock pot and I place it on the table.

JodyLynn

Retire Member
Jul 18, 2008
Oooh, Minta, that's a great idea!! I always do the mashed potatoes about half an hour before the turkey comes out, and it's always a mad dash..........I think I'll try your idea.

InstantMom, one other tip..........Leave some time to let the turkey rest after you take it out of the oven, maybe 15-20 minutes or so, before you carve it. My first turkey I carved straight out of the oven. Not only was it way too hot to handle, it was dry as a bone. They ain't kiddin' on Food TV when they say to left it rest and let the juices redistribute. :)

cipalla

Retire Member
Oct 22, 2007
PA
Great thread! I have yet to be passed the torch, so I will love reading everyone's tips, and storing them away for when my time comes!

InstantMom

Retire Member
Aug 2, 2008
You all are THE BEST. I am hugging every one of you. Printing and saving all of this for the notebook!

:friendly:

MaryAnn

MindyH

Retire Member
Aug 8, 2008
Great thread!

I can also attest to the Crock Pot mashed potato trick, it really helps to have that finished ahead since it's so messy and a little loud with the mixer, beaters and whatnot.

I've only hosted for my in-laws (pretty small group) the last two years, but have picked up a lot of tips from my mom because on our side she will have anywhere from 25-38 people depending on how many folks travel!

One of my favorite tips is to buy a thermal carafe (a bit smaller than the coffee kind) and put the gravy in that. I miss the charm of a cute little gravy boat, but I don't miss cold gravy!

Another thing that helps take some of the pressure off is to cook the turkey in a bag. Some turkey purists might not care for this method, but my turkey always comes out well-browned, moist and delicious and there's no basting to worry about!

Mindy

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
OMG! I love the gravy boat! What a great idea, and my DIL loves kitchen gadgets, so there's a present for her... :package:

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
When my MIL passed away, I was "handed the torch" kicking and screaming. It's scary when they tell you that YOU are now the oldest living female in the family and it's YOUR duty. EEEK!

Now tho, it's a family tradition that I welcome each year. Christmas is MY holiday and I prefer quiet celebration at home but for Thanxgiving, I go all out. Last year we had turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes & gravy, green beans, jello salad, winter squash, stuffed celery, cranberry sauce, homemade rolls, and 5 pies for dessert.

My big hint is to make as much as possible beforehand. I make homemade brown & serve rolls. I can do them a week in advance and just freeze. I also make my veggies and potatoes early and cover with plastic wrap. Before serving I just reheat in the microwave.
I prep most things the night before. Winter squash gets peeled and cubed up and placed in a freezer bag. Green beans are washed and snapped in 2 and those are put in a plastic baggie. I bake my stuffing separately in a baking dish and for that, I have onions, celery and other ingredients all prepped and ready the night before. I have to cook the meal at my FIL's house (20 min away) so I just prep things at my house and throw them into a large cooler and head over. I season and wrap the turkey in foil or a baking bag the night before and Dad puts it into the oven for me early. For my gravy, I cook off the giblets and veggies the night before and cook them overnight in the crock pot with chicken broth for a flavorful broth. I used to help a caterer and he taught me how to prep things to make cooking much easier and less time consuming.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
wadeallie,
You make it sound so easy to haul Thanksgiving dinner to another house to cook!

GeeWibble

Premiere Member
Mar 29, 2008
NY
This is my favorite, getting and giving tips on holiday plans. I have to say, to keep my sanity I start with a weekly planner, starting 3 weeks before. Buying non perishable food and doing as much as I can ahead of time even, baking the squash and freezing it. I also sit down a day or two after Thanksgiving and put in my note book things that worked well and things I'll change for next year. My best advise is to not stress so much that it's not enjoyable for you (done that), I use to think I had to do everything my self. That's no fun, have guests bring a dish or make a list of things other people can help with (they always ask) pouring drinks, getting hot pads out, lighting candles, relish tray, etc. It's such a great time to be with family and friends, I can't wait!