All About Soup!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Turkey soup. I can't wait until I get my turkey deboned.

Glenda

Retire Member
Dec 10, 2008
Virginia
My DD and I love soup. On nights when the "boys" are going to basketball games we enjoy making homemade soup together.

Our favorites are Hashbrown Potato Soup and Broccoli and Cauliflower Cheese Soup. We just thrown things into the pot but it turns out YUMMY each time! She even said taht our Broccoli and Cauliflower Cheese soup tastes better than the Broccoli and Cheddar soup at Panera Bread! YAY!

Glenda

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Glenda- Hashbrown Potato Soup?!

That sounds interesting!

Will you share the recipe?

Annie

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
After all the Thanksgiving feasting..... yesterday..... it was time for the "Cabbage Miracle Diet Soup". Decades ago.... there was a "Quick-Start Diet" fad. You could eat unlimited quantities of this soup.... and carefully restricted amounts of other foods. I find this soup to be "a light and healthy alternative.... very welcome after feasting on rich foods for days"!

There are a million different recipes.

I start with a big pan.... and saute onions. As many onions as I have time to cut up.... cooked in olive oil. I add garlic to the oil.... when the onions have cooked enough. I do this because I think that onions and garlic are REALLY good for you.

Then... I pour in a giant container of V-8 or all-organic vegetable juices. I then dump in whatever vegetables I feel like adding.

ALWAYS... a lot of shredded cabbage. then.... this time.... I poured in frozen mixed vegetables, frozen shelled edame,.... and that's it. Simmer until the vegetables are warmed up. That's it.

Refrigerate. And heat up a bowl whenever you are hungry.

For dinner... we had two bowls of this soup.... and a salad with delicious butter lettuce, fresh tomatoes and a whole avocado, sliced. For dessert.... Greek yoghurt and fruit.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Here is a quick recipe that I enjoy making for dinner from time to time. I've also added spinach and diced chicken to this but most of the time I just use it as the recipe states.

Italian Egg Drop Soup

Ingredients
5 cups chicken stock or canned chicken broth
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan, or to taste
1/4 cup minced fresh Italian parsley
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

Directions
In a large saucepan bring stock to a boil over moderate heat. In a bowl beat together the eggs, Parmesan and parsley. Reduce the heat to low and drizzle eggs into stock, gently stirring. Simmer, stirring, just until eggs are set. Season with salt and pepper.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Kim I used to make something like that... haven't done it in very long... we added soy sauce to the lot.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Kim and luludou..... boy, that sounds delicious! It sounds really "comforting".... and pretty quick. I'm going to try it soon!

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
My family loves soup!!

My favorite to make I call "dump soup". I dump in a few cans of veges (corn, peas for example), then I dump in some stewed tomatoes, throw in some dry pasta, when the soup is almost done I dump in some canned roast beef (already chopped up). It makes for a yummy hearty soup. Kiddo is not a die hard fan but he will eat one bowl of it.

This is easy when I am tired or not feeing 100%.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Just made a new soup - soup love!

Prawn soup

I did change a couple things because of the season:
we used canned tomoatoes (diced), chili pepper and cilantro from Gourment Garden (spices in a tube in the veggie section of grocer), we also doubled the prawns (because I have 3 teenage boys) :)

My soup looks 'redder' then the picture - but it is only a little spicy, and a lot of warmth on this cold night! Boys loved it.

Topped with a small mix of chives, green onion tops and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes. Boys had a crusty bread with it.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I had a tub of courgette soup yesterday for lunch. It was in the freezer from a serious glut in summer 09, but I always get terrified when I take it out as it looks so weird defrosted - but if you heat it through, it comes back to a proper "soup" consistency (it looks totally split once thawed). I usually throw in a few few bits of blue cheese crumbled into it, to give it some heartiness.

I love soup, well, like soup a fair bit, but can never seem to find time to make it much.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Yum, never thought of adding some blue cheese.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Tonight we are having soup I made from veggies in the fridge.

Onions, cabbage, carrots, turnips & beets. it's a nice purple-beet color... especially looked nice on the walls and backdrop after I finished mashing it in a potage and I put it back on the fire and big globs exploded.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I'm making soup on Sunday for dinner I've decided. Just need to find one that all the guys will enjoy! Any suggestions for a 'manly' soup?

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Beef stew is a manly soup, I think anyway.

We're having vegetable soup for dinner tonight. It has potatoes, carrots, peas, green beans, corn, and stew meat.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I bought a soup.... from Trader Joe's. All I can say is.... I'm glad that I did not go to the trouble of making it myself.... although dh liked it. AND.... it DID add to the variety.... which is so important! It was a "Corn and Roasted Pepper Soup". I think of "corn dishes" as being sweet and tasting like corn. This was NOT sweet and did NOT taste like corn. In fact... it was hard to identify the taste.

Since I was serving it with a bean and cheese burrito.... I told dh that it was a Mexican Soup. I served some sour cream and a sliced whole avocado alongside.... to eat with the soup and burrito. To me.... avocado and sour cream..... improves anything!!!

Today... I am in the mood... for tomato soup! I will make it simply.... using V-8 and chopped tomatoes.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I make a soup that is really easy. It's a vegetable beef soup that is pretty hearty that would fill guys up.

1 pound stew meat
1 onion, coarsely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Put into a 5 quart stock pot or Dutch oven. Cover stew meat with water (about 2 qts??) Boil meat until tender. After the stew meat is done:

Add one small bag of mixed vegetables (I use the kind that has peas, carrots, green beans and
corn)
1 can Campbell's alphabet soup
1 can whole kernal corn
1 small can tomato paste

Add more water if needed or whatever kind of stock you have. Cook an additional 30 minutes or until vegetbles are done.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Luludou... I just saw your post about the "exploding soup"! YIKES!!!!!! Real Life strikes again!

Today... I am making an onion-leek-pear soup. I browned the onions first (in olive oil)... so they would taste sweet and mild. Then added the sliced leeks and the sliced green pear. Filled the pot with broth. (Water would do fine.)

I have found that.... when I actually do eat soup before lunch and before dinner... I DO eat less... and I DO eat healthier. Grumble grumble. I'll have to work harder on making this a habit!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I add apples to soup sometimes... why did I not think of adding pear? I have to get in the habit of happing soup too. It will be healthier for everyone.

Any good ideas for 'invalid' soup?
I've come down with a very nasty case of tonsillitis (ended up in the hospital to see the duty doctor on Boxing Day) and am only now just starting to feel a little more human (first time I've been able to sit at the computer since Christmas Eve)
I'm still not up to eating 'normal' food at the moment and, although it's helped, tinned soup gets a little dull very quickly.
Soooo- any idea for a simple, soup which will have flavour but be kind to a pore very sore throat?

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Frog Princess- A simple chicken or turkey noodle soup- just broth, sliced carrots, celery, chicken (or turkey) and egg noodles stirred in at the end is simple and comforting.

Another favorite of mine if I have a sore throat is Hot and Sour Soup. I have never made it homemade but if I feel a sore throat coming on, I will order a large batch from a Chinese Restaurnt.

Any time I have a sore throat, I like to add a little spice to my soup- it just feels good on the throat. So, even the chicken noodle, I will add a few shakes of tabasco.

Think I need to attempt making Hot and Sour Soup this winter!!!!!

Annie