All About Soup!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Frog Princess... I hope your poor throat is better now! AnnieClaus gave perfect suggestions for soup!

Last night... I made Mushroom Soup. I started with two frozen packages of Tabickek Kosher Soup... from the frozen food section. Their sale price is 2 for 3.... and each package has two VERY LOW CALORIE servings. I added some dried mushrooms... which i had soaked in hot watEr (and put that water into the soup, too). I added canned mushrooms. (And... don't scream... threw in pieces of the roasted seaweed... which has like zero calories... and adds a salty taste... even though the sodium count is incredibly low).

Dh felt the soup wasn't hearty enough. (Although he ate the first bowl and sait it was tasty.) I QUICKLY MICROWAVED A WHOLE POTATO (WITH SKIN) AND MASHED IT UP.... AND POURED ANOTHER BOWL OF HOT SOUP OVER THE POTATO. THIS TIME... DH FELT IT WAS HEART ENOUGH... AND GOOD.

I almost always make vegetarian soup... because I don't eat enough vegetables.

And... often I use a purchased frozen soup as a base.... because I only have a few minutes... to get a hot bowl of soup on the table.

AnnieClaus, thank you!
Turkey soup it was- and we just threw everything into the food processor and added noodles to it once it came out ... et voila! Very tasty and not too harsh on the throat (which is feeling much better now- antibiotics finally overcame!). I'm still feeling groggy but it's a darned good excuse to work through lots of scrummy soup recipes here!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Had mushroom soup for dinner. Mushrooms, oignons, 1 apple & some spinach, 1 potato. All veggies in olive oil and when browned I added the stock from the turkey we had over the holidays (it was frozen), and then all in food processor.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Feel like I could use some comfort food. So after looking at Annies chicken noodle recipe i went to see what ingrediants I have. Didn't have everything but I am making a chicken noodle soup out of the following:

1 can chicken broth
1 can cream of chicken soup
carrots
Chicken Boulliion cube
salt & pepper to taste
dash of onion powder

I put those ingrediants in a dutch oven after adding more water on med heat. When the carrots get almost done I'll add egg noodles.

Sorry not good at writing recipes I just use dash, pinch, handfuls whatever LOL

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
After reading about Lisa's Stuffed Pepper casserole it made me remember the only way my DH will eat rice or peppers. It's his mother's recipe & it's called "Stuffed Peppers". It's really good but could also be called soup.

Stuffed Peppers

Add ALL ingrediants in a Dutch oven or soup pot at the same time

1-2 lbs uncooked hamburger meat
1 chopped bell pepper(I use about 1/2 a pepper)
1/2 chopped onion
1 cup rice
1 lg or 2 small cans tomato sauce
salt & peper to taste

After it begins to boil cut heat down to about med & let the meat cook throughly, when it's done everything else will be too. Delicious with cornbread...

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Think I need to attempt making Hot and Sour Soup this winter!!!!!

Annie - I love hot and sour soup but I've never tried making it either. Shall we share some different recipes?

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
DD made some Miso soup tonight (from a recipe on the net).

2 cups of water (we put 3), 4tablespoons of Miso (we put 2), and bring to a boil. Add some grated ginger. Add some cut up ****ake mushrooms, some cubed tofu (marinated in soy sauce), some brocolli flowers, some green onions and leave about 5 minutes. Ready!

It was good (well the tofu wasn't so hot but the rest was good). Loved the ****ake mushrooms - tasty!

I will bring a cup to work for lunch tomorrow.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Made a potage for ds at lunch (because of his widom teeth removal). 1 apple, carrots, a wee bit of ginger, juice from half a lemon, 1 potato, celeri, brocolli, turnip, a bit of lemon zest. Put everything in the pot with a bit of olive oil so it colored & then added some chicken stock. It is very tasty & good for our health!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Potato Soup

This recipe I received from Karen Lemke in 1976 when our dhs were stationed in Minot, ND.

4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
1 onion, sliced
1 teaspoon salt
pinch of pepper
3 1/2 cup water
Boil the above until potatoes are tender. Drain but Save the water!!!!!

1 Tablespoon butter
1 Tablespoon flour
Mix these two together and stir into a pan until brown
Add 3 cups of the water you saved from the potatoes.
Stir very well and then add the potatoes
Heat and serve

I have added carrots to the potatoes when making this.
Also have added leftover corn when I have it.
I never brown the butter/four mixture (just because I'm lazy and I always use corn starch instead of flour).

Adding the water from the cooked potatoes add a lot of flavor to this recipe.

Update: Made this tonight. I used Annie's idea of adding green chiles and kielbasa sausage. Excellent. Thanks Annie.

Last edited:

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
This recipe I received from Karen Lemke in 1976 when our dhs were stationed in Minot, ND.

4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
1 onion, sliced
1 teaspoon salt
pinch of pepper
3 1/2 cup water
Boil the above until potatoes are tender. Drain but Save the water!!!!!

1 Tablespoon butter
1 Tablespoon flour
Mix these two together and stir into a pan until brown
Add 3 cups of the water you saved from the potatoes.
Stir very well and then add the potatoes
Heat and serve

I have added carrots to the potatoes when making this.
Also have added leftover corn when I have it.
I never brown the butter/four mixture (just because I'm lazy and I always use corn starch instead of flour).

Adding the water from the cooked potatoes add a lot of flavor to this recipe.

Update: Made this tonight. I used Annie's idea of adding green chiles and kielbasa sausage. Excellent. Thanks Annie.

Sounds yummy. I don't have the onion but I have some onion powder I will use a dash of that if I make it. I also have a couple of cans of potato soup(I think), might add a can to the soup.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Ahorsesoul- I'm glad you enjoyed it with the green chile's and kielbasa!!
I doubled the recipe on Sunday so we are still eating it! Think the rest will go into the freezer tonight.

Girlsinmo- How did your soup turn out?

Lucie- The Miso soup sounds good!

Kim- Yes! I need to start looking up hot and sour soup recipes!

I also want to try Clam Chowder- have never made that from scratch.

And I always do my split pea soup I make every winter from the Christmas ham bone.

I am finding I no longer care for canned soups- homemade is SO much better!!!!

Annie

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Annie it was pretty good. I didn't add carrots but think I will next time..I love this thread.

Sparklenana are you still eating soup everyday?

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Here is the recipe some asked for. I made it the first time this year for deer season and the guys loved it. I used 5 or 6 chicken breast then (covered the bottom) and it had alot of meat in it. Cutting down this time. I use my big crockpot.

I hope you like it if you try it.

Chicken & Cabbage Soup

Spray crockpot and add 2 tbsps butter to the bottom
layer the following
4 or 5 chicken breast (I am using 3 today) But as I stirred it after several hours to break the chicken apart I will use 2 next time for us 3
cut up an onion
then 1 lb. bag of mini carrots
cabbage sliced chunky (using about 1/2 head I put about 1/4 on this layer and the rest on top after I see how full the crockpot is-might even use more)
2 cans stewed tomatoes (if you like it spicy try with rotel or salsa)
1 can corn
2 potatoes sliced or diced
4 ounces cut up fried bacon
3 chicken bouillon cubes
salt and pepper to taste and any other spices you love

Cook for 6-7 hours. Can be served with grated cheese on top if desired.

I add cajun seasoning, Old Bay Garlic & Herb seasoning, and I pour in jalapeno pepper juice (from the jalapeno rings).

Last edited:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Hmmm. I'm thinking French-onion soup for next week..
http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/french_onion_soup/

French Onion Soup Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
6 large red or yellow onions, peeled and thinly sliced.
Olive oil
1/4 teaspoon of sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
8 cups of beef stock, chicken stock, or a combination of the two (traditionally the soup is made with beef stock)
1/2 cup of dry vermouth or dry white wine
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon of dry thyme
Salt and pepper
8 slices of toasted French bread
1 1/2 cups of grated Swiss Gruyere with a little grated Parmesan cheese
Method
1 In a large saucepan, sauté the onions in the olive oil on medium high heat until well browned, but not burned, about 30-40 minutes (or longer). Add the sugar about 10 minutes into the process to help with the carmelization.

2 Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add the stock, vermouth or wine, bay leaf, and thyme. Cover partially and simmer until the flavors are well blended, about 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Discard the bay leaf.

3 To serve you can either use individual oven-proof soup bowls or one large casserole dish. Ladle the soup into the bowls or casserole dish. Cover with the toast and sprinkle with cheese. Put into the broiler for 10 minutes at 350 degrees F, or until the cheese bubbles and is slightly browned. Serve immediately.

Yield: Serves 4-6.

Never had garlic and wine in my recipe but worth a try!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Yep! It's soup season!

Tomorrow I'm making a big pot of chicken/rice/veggie soup. I do a chicken broth but add tomatoes and tomato juice so it's more of a tomato base.

Have been thinking a lot about the Zesty Potato Soup- Potato soup with green chiles and browned kielbasa! My friend brought me some green chiles from the chile festival in Hatch, New Mexico!

Annie

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
My Chicken, veggie, rice soup is a simmerin on the stove!

Annie