Are you alone in your love of Christmas?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
I love Christmas. I love everything about it from the decorations to the spirit people seem to have during this wonderful time of year. I waited like a little kid for Christmas in July simply to do some Christmas things like watching movies and thinking about this years festivities. I've been off since Thursday in celebration of Independence Day and have spent every moment planning, preparing, shopping all the new stuff at Hobby Lobby and enjoying Christmas in July.

The problem is, I'm all alone in this. My kids and husband thinks I have lost my mind. Okay, thinking about Christmas in +90º temperatures is weird and I'll give them that, but the reality of it all is that even in the middle of December they could care less. Sure, they love the great foods and wonderful gifts. That's it! It's the single most important time of the year for me and I have no one to share all of the amazing and magic with, unless it's to watch them eat or give them whatever it is they've asked for.

Today I asked myself why I even bother. My kids are grown and my husband is gone from sun up till way past sundown 6 days a week minimum. My youngest son and his fiancée' live in the guest suite but I rarely see them either. The answer is "for me" however that's sometimes a lonely place.

So, am I the only one who has a family that doesn't share in the Christmas passion the way we do? How do you handle it?

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Ellen

It's exceptionally not easy when you're Jewish:)..But my mother loved Christmas before me and my husband has learned to tolerate it. Also, we've been celebrating with friends for 40+ years so it has the importance of "tradition".

And I've got you ladies to celebrate with and humor me...

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
oh the kids & dh like it well enough... on the 24th and the 25th of December if all has been done and prepared by someone else (namely, me!) Rest of the year I do my stuff by myself, no encouragement at all either. My mom loves Christmas and I do wish we lived nearer each other. I can talk about my 'Christmas' plans, spirit, gift with Mom and here . I am SOOOO glad I found this place.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Nope, no one here to share my year-round love of Christmas. They always tell me I don't need to buy more decorations, etc...where are you going to put them...on and on. When I try to pre-plan holidays, they all think I'm crazy. It drives me crazy to wait until just a few days before Christmas to decide what and when everyone is doing what. So, I just have a secret love of Christmas in my heart, suck it up, and plan all my doings around everyone else's. It's pretty frustrating, but that's life.

I can't tell you how happy I was to find this place!

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Wow, I'd love to say misery loves company but it makes me just as sad for you guys as I feel for myself. But, you are so right Jane, we do have one another here. Like Lucy I'd love to have someone next door or even local to share ideas, work parties and just show off something we made or our spirit with. Thanks for sharing ladies. I guess I needed to know that I wasn't alone and that my family wasn't the only ones that won't put forth the effort to do what it takes to make those great meals or perfect gifts appear.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
While DH probably doesn't share my love of Christmas, he tolerates it extremely well and encourages me to buy what I want decoration wise. He never says anything negative, he does joke around, but he knows it makes me happy so he leaves it be. I still have young children at home so they love it with me.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I love horses. I lived and breathed horses for decades. I found horsey friends to be around. It's the same with Christmas. Not everyone loves Christmas like this group. I do not have anyone physically close friends who are Christmasy. Over the years the other people close to me have learned to tolerate the Christmas freak. After all I tolerate the sports freaks that are around me. lol

Years ago Dh was saying Christmas had no meaning to him so he didn't care if there was anything done. So I didn't do a thing. No big meal, no decorations and no gifts for him. It was very hard on me but he found he really did miss it. Now he will always say something about the decorations and the great food. He even is looking for Christmas gifts all year long now.

This group is like family to me so I have dozens of Christmasy friends.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
You know Ellen, all I can say, is go for it. Really...I mean, if you can handle them telling you, you are crazy who cares. I wouldn't say I'm the only on around who loves Christmas, but no one is a Holiday Junkie like I am. So over the years, they've all learned to just go with the flow. My Christmas in July dinner is now one of the most beloved events of the summer. I have a great aunt who is bah hum bug about Christmas when it comes. She doesn't like all the hoopfla..and such, but she LOVES coming to our party in July. She really looks at it, as her Christmas because we do it for the "right reason".

Now let me say, when I started my CIJ month long festivities 4 or 5 years ago, my family and friends thought I was crazy and stupid. Now they know it's coming, they just laugh at me and tell me how crazy I am, in a loving way.

And if they are tired of listening to me, I come here. I even blog, just because I feel like I"m sharing. Now few people actually read my blog, but I feel like I'm sharing at least.

And ultimately I tell people, it's important to me because I try to carry that spirit all year long.

and to add on a selfish note...LOL...I dislike the heat of summer. Pretty badly, so during the July and August I find myself indoors a whole lot more and it takes my mind off of the heat and keeps me from being GRUMPY..LOL

Last edited:

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
I am a double crazy person-I am nuts over Christmas and I am a complete Civil war buff-so those who love me just tolerate it all and those on the fringes of my life just think I am weird, which bothers me not at all..I cannot TELL you how insanely happy I was to find this website, and every single one of you-Ellen you are so not alone! I wish you had some one there to physically share it all with, my DD15 is happy to fool with it with me right now, but that won't last forever...but I bet if all us Christmas crazy quit working to make the holiday awesome-there would be some fussing! I makes me so happy to know you are all out there enjoying Christmas/holiday planning and celebrating every day..

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
If it was not for me Christmas would come and go without much thought.
My family are fantastic at tolerating me and my obsession. I did ask them just this past Sunday what they would like to eat for Christmas Eve dinner!!!!!
But, I enjoy all the planning and preparation that goes into Christmas, and I will continue. If my DH and the kids only enjoy the few days of Christmas then so be it. I cannot force them to love Christmas and the cannot force me to unlove it. So we live together in peace and harmony (most of the time).

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I'm the only one who loves Christmas in my family. I mean, obviously the little ones enjoy it now, and that makes it more rewarding at this stage of life, but I'm on my own doing most of it, and DH will participate in the stuff his work puts on for the kids, but that's about it.
I used to ask him to watch a Christmas movie with me every year, but last year I was watching A Christmas Story and he sat down next to me five minutes before it was over and said, "If I watch the end this counts as your movie." I decided then not to bother asking him to watch with me anymore.
Growing up my Mom hated Christmas and I always dreamt of one day being able to embrace it. We celebrated Christmas, and my Dad enjoyed it, but my Mom wouldn't even let us say the word Christmas until the week of. She'd always groan about Christmas coming. I just couldn't understand it.
Whenever I wonder why I'm bothering, I read A Christmas Carol. I try to keep Christmas even when I don't feel like it. Sometimes we have to be a little light burning in the darkness.
Like I said, my daughter is old enough to appreciate it now, which is nice, but most years I've just done it for myself.

Halimer - I worked for a company where everyone except for me and one person at head office was Jewish. I was surprised they had a Christmas Party, played carols and all.

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
I was watching Hallmark Christmas in July movies off and on this past weekend. I had switched to something else and DH comes in and asked why I wasn't watching a Christmas movie. I switched over to see what was on and he goes "I know this one", lol. I pretty much have Christmas movies on 24 hours a day from November through January.

DH is not a big Christmas person, but like Jessica's DH, he laughs about my craziness, and secretly likes all that I do. When I don't do anything, he really misses it. And now, after being together for 13 years in the same house, he has slowly come around to help out and I think even enjoy doing Christmassy things.

Since finding Christmas forums, I was amazed at how many people go crazy for Christmas so I'm just happy to be sharing with friends on the internet.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Robin I'm laughing, because there are certain Hallmark movies my husband recognizes. One being Christmas Card because I watch it EVERY TIME it's on probably..LOL

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Well...I have you all to share with! My family is supportive...the kids love it, and dh appreciates all I do for the family. I am blessed with a husband who helps with the Christmas stuff. I still do most of it, but he does do trees, some shopping, outside lights and such.

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
Michelle-That one is my favorite too! DH and I always watch The Most Wonderful Time of the Year with Henry Winkler. Whenever DH sees him on the reverse mortgage commercial, he says "there is Uncle Ralph", lol.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Ellen,
Thinking about and planning for Christmas year-round is something I do just for ME! And I'm not going to apologize! ;) Seriously though, I enjoy it and tell people who don't "get it" that it's my hobby...just as knitting or scrapbooking is to other people. I like listening to Christmas music and watching happy, family friendly movies....the cheesier the better.

While I wouldn't mind a little more help with the actual execution of Christmas (DH - that means YOU! LOL!) I have accepted that what is important to me (decorating, buying just the right gift, attending our church concert, etc.) isn't always what's important to others. That's when I come here to MHH. Although we've never met, I always know I'll find kindred spirits to ooh and aah with me over the perfect decorations or the most delicious sounding recipes, etc. I wouldn't change it for the world!

Do it for YOU! Your MHH friends will be right there with you!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I, too, am the only person in my "physical world"…. who thinks about Christmas… all year long! And…. that is one reason why I love our Magical Holiday Home (and Family) so much!!!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Well said SparkleNana. I am so grateful that I can pop on MHH whenever I need a dose of Christmas and know that I will be understood, not just tolerated.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Since I was a little girl I have loved Christmas. As an adult the love just got stronger. All year long I'm thinking about Christmas. But it isn't until the end of July that I get the most excited. I grab my notebook and just start making lists and looking for ideas of how I want Christmas to be that year.

Noone in my family is into Christmas like I am but they don't give me any grief. They've come to just accept it. Most of the time I don't even mention what I'm doing or thinking for the upcoming holiday to them. I just leave it as a surprise. My best friend is like me. She loves Christmas and we talk about it a lot. She's nearly finished all her gift shopping for this year.

It doesn't really bother me that much to want to celebrate Christmas the way I do by myself. I actually enjoy it. And come the holidays my family gets to enjoy all the effort I put into making it special for them. That's all that really matters to me in the end. Being together and making them happy.

RoniJo

Premiere Member
Jul 2, 2014
When I was growing up I loved Christmas. My family liked it well enough,but I always decorated the tree alone and baked cookies alone. The only reason we had anything christmassy in our house was because I did it all myself. Now that I'm grown it's still like that. My DH and my DS's aren't into it until the 24th and 25th. Even then I do it all myself. I like it that way though. I get to make Christmas the way I want it to be and everyone in my family has come to look forward to coming to our house because they know it's going to special. I'm so glad I found you guys! I didn't realize there were other people who loved Christmas as much as I do.