Black Friday 2020

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I thought some of you might want to check out the information in this link about upcoming sales that are taking place (in place of, instead of???) Black Friday. Do we trust them? Are there going to be better deals later? IDK!! I suppose we'll each have to decide for ourselves.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
In the past there was a website that tracked all Black Friday deals and other sales throughout the year. A few months ago it went closed itself.

Black Friday won't be what it was.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
In the past there was a website that tracked all Black Friday deals and other sales throughout the year. A few months ago it went closed itself.

Yes, I was signed up for their emails.

One thing I am glad about is that most places are closing for Thanksgiving. I hope it stays like that. I love Christmas, but I don't like the "Christmas Creep" that was going on in retail sales. Retail people deserve a holiday with their families just like non-retail people. I remember when DH#1 and I were married that we went to his sister's house for Thanksgiving. She had no plain flour in the house (EX-MIL insisted gravy could only be made using plain flour. I use(d) self-rising all the time to make gravy...), and we had to buy plain flour from a one-stop gas station, like 7-Eleven because NO WHERE was open that sold groceries. I think we drove almost 20 miles to find one open, too.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
With the way this year is going waiting to Black Fri to order might be a big gamble if it would even arrive before Christmas. So much uncertainty.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Jane, I too am happy that stores will be closed on Thanksgiving and that I will be at home "making" the holiday.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
With the way this year is going waiting to Black Fri to order might be a big gamble if it would even arrive before Christmas. So much uncertainty.
Very good point. I'm seeing extended shipping times and delays already and I doubt there will be any kind of delivery guarantees this year. First COVID, then riots, then hurricanes, then wildfires, it all plays havoc with delivery routes and schedules.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Sounds like a nightmare to me! Mail order is hit and miss here. I ordered something Shipped regular mail and it came the next day. My husband ordered something for me, shipped priority and it took 11 days to get here.

I am glad things are closed thanksgiving. I never shopped then so I won’t miss it. I know what it is like working the holidays as a nurse. I’m happy the retail folks get to stay home.

We are at their mercy with the sale prices. You hate to wait to see if there will be a better deal. With supply and demand so messed up you may never see the item again.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Thanks, Jane. I missed the one on Kohls.

I got those emails too. I was so disappointed when I got the final email last month. Sigh...

I used to work retail in college. We never opened on Thanksgiving but first thing Black Friday, people would be waiting for the doors to open. I tried to avoid shopping Thanksgiving with the exception of running to the grocery store Thanksgiving morning for the Black Friday edition of the newspaper. The print edition had ads with coupons.

I remember standing in the snaking lines through Toys R Us to pay for gift items. Then when I got a smart phone, I discovered that I could buy items online at other stores while standing in that long line at Toys R Us. Most people weren't shopping online and I could usually score the item I wanted online. Now with everyone shopping online, I'm going to see if I can find the item in store first before placing an online order.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Then when I got a smart phone, I discovered that I could buy items online at other stores while standing in that long line at Toys R Us.

LOL! Me, too...or wherever I was standing in line to check out!

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
The website I use for Black Friday (gottadeal) is still up and running and they just created a new Thread in their forum for the new special sales stores will be running in place of or with the normal the normal black Friday sales.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
This is starting to stress me out. Are we REALLY saying that we think Black Friday is not going to happen? I normally hit the sales the week before. I do buy online but I really get a LOT done on Black Friday week.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
This is starting to stress me out. Are we REALLY saying that we think Black Friday is not going to happen? I normally hit the sales the week before. I do buy online but I really get a LOT done on Black Friday week.

From what I'm reading and hearing, Black Friday as we know it is not going to be the same, if at all. I am right there with you. Not only is it an adventuresome outing that we do as a family, but it's also when I do the majority of my shopping. I shop not only for Christmas, but for other items that are deeply discounted only at that time of the year for which I've waited all year to buy.

Supposedly, retailers are starting sales online earlier and also in store so that people will shop ahead with fewer people in the stores on the typical Black Friday. I think people are creatures of habit and many will not start shopping, though, until the last of the thanksgiving turkey is out the door!

I have many questions rolling around in my head. If I wait, will be I able to get easily into the store when I need to or are there going to be so many people shopping between Thanksgiving and Christmas that someone will have to be at the door with a ticker counting people coming in and out? Will I have to stand in line outside to go in, in the weather, possibly not getting in at all in the limited time I have to shop? When I get in, are they actually going to have what I'm looking for or would I have been better off staying at home on my couch shopping from my laptop? And, if I do said shopping, will it get here in time for Christmas in decent condition, not torn apart or missing something? If we go into full lockdown before Christmas, will we even have the choice of shopping in a store? When are the best deals going to be? I've always depended on them being during the Black Friday sales. Can the retailers be trusted to offer their best deals before then or are they going to pull a rabbit out of the hat at the last minute and offer something at a lower price? UGH!

Reactions: Cindylouwho

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Can the retailers be trusted to offer their best deals before then or are they going to pull a rabbit out of the hat at the last minute and offer something at a lower price? UGH!
Don't some stores guarantee prices? If it goes on sale before 30 days are up they will give you the sale price. Or is that a thing of the past.....

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
but it's also when I do the majority of my shopping. I shop not only for Christmas, but for other items that are deeply discounted only at that time of the year for which I've waited all year to buy.
I do the same thing. I've bought things for the house that I could never afford at any other time during the Black Friday sales. I usually use October and November to plan out the purchases and the budget on the items base on the sales. This year, I don't know what it is going to really look like.

I think in addition to the health issue and delivery problems, there is also the supply chain issues. Things like electronics have to be shipped from China to California and then from there they have to make it to the warehouses across the country. If everyone is buying online and the warehouses sell out, then I think it will be a while before things are in stock again.

Don't some stores guarantee prices? If it goes on sale before 30 days are up they will give you the sale price. Or is that a thing of the past.....

Yes, some stores do offer price guarantees still.

Best Buy Black Friday guarantee

Best Buy also is offering a "Black Friday guarantee" on select, qualifying items purchased during its two-day sale.

"Because it’s 2020 and life is unpredictable, if the price on one of these deals goes lower before Black Friday, My Best Buy customers will be automatically reimbursed the difference," the company said.

According to the fine print, qualifying items will be identified on the website with a "Black Friday Price Guaranteed” message. The reimbursements will take place by Dec. 14 but limitations apply.

Target Price Guarantee

We’ll match the price if you buy a qualifying item at Target then find the identical item for less at Target.com, select online competitors, or in Target’s or competitor’s local print ad. Price matches may be requested at time of purchase or within 14 days after purchase. The full list of online competitors is available online or at Guest Services.

If you find a current lower price within 14 days after purchase, just bring in the proof and we will adjust your payment to the lower price, upon request. Target store price matches and adjustments are completed at the store on any lane. For Target.com purchases, call Target.com Guest Services at 1-800-591-3869.

Shop early, shop with confidence this holiday season. For Black Friday deal purchases made between November 1 – 28, 2020 you’ll qualify for a price adjustment if the Target store or Target.com price goes down any time on or before December 24, 2020. We’ll waive the 14 day requirement and adjust the price for qualifying purchases, upon request.

For the first time, Target is extending its Price Match Guarantee beyond 14 days. From Nov. 1 through Dec. 24, guests can request a price adjustment for any item advertised as a "Black Friday deal" if it is offered for a lower price at Target or Target.com. This offers even more assurance that guests can count on Target's greatest deal, regardless of when they shop. As always, Target will match select competitors' prices within 14 days of a purchase throughout the majority of the season.

Reactions: Cindylouwho

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Amazon Prime Days are today and tomorrow. Anyone find anything interesting?

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
From what I'm reading and hearing, Black Friday as we know it is not going to be the same, if at all. I am right there with you. Not only is it an adventuresome outing that we do as a family, but it's also when I do the majority of my shopping. I shop not only for Christmas, but for other items that are deeply discounted only at that time of the year for which I've waited all year to buy.

Supposedly, retailers are starting sales online earlier and also in store so that people will shop ahead with fewer people in the stores on the typical Black Friday. I think people are creatures of habit and many will not start shopping, though, until the last of the thanksgiving turkey is out the door!

I have many questions rolling around in my head. If I wait, will be I able to get easily into the store when I need to or are there going to be so many people shopping between Thanksgiving and Christmas that someone will have to be at the door with a ticker counting people coming in and out? Will I have to stand in line outside to go in, in the weather, possibly not getting in at all in the limited time I have to shop? When I get in, are they actually going to have what I'm looking for or would I have been better off staying at home on my couch shopping from my laptop? And, if I do said shopping, will it get here in time for Christmas in decent condition, not torn apart or missing something? If we go into full lockdown before Christmas, will we even have the choice of shopping in a store? When are the best deals going to be? I've always depended on them being during the Black Friday sales. Can the retailers be trusted to offer their best deals before then or are they going to pull a rabbit out of the hat at the last minute and offer something at a lower price? UGH!
All good points, Jane, I just bought a dining room set that has a 16 week delivery time and then a set of makeup remover cloths that were just released on Costco.com and are already on backorder. And I have to agree with shopping from home rather than standing outside in all types of weather while you wait to be let into a store because of occupancy limits.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
HolidayMom -- Thank you for posting the return policies. A little comforting for Target.

I was shopping the American Eagle online sale yesterday. Many out of stock items. While I'm a regular online shopper, I find it difficult to buy clothes online. I really really like to see/touch/feel. Wasted a lot of time waffling. I'm going to have to hike up my big girl pants, roll up my sleeves and up my game. I decided much of AE's stuff yesterday was 25% off. I only went for the 50%. Their best deals are usually at least 40%. So for them I'm waiting.

Am also going to check my bank records for last year's purchases to see where I dropped the big bucks.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Nothing from prime here. I got a few emails today one from Joann’s and some other places, that they are having a “ prime” sale.

Ive always waited until Black Friday to get things for the house too. I don’t need anything this year thankfully. Anxious to see what the day actually is going to look like. I’ve always had fun shopping. Might just be a good day to stay home and decorate for Christmas.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I really really like to see/touch/feel.

This is so absolutely me, too. I'm a quality over quantity person. I'll pay more for something well made and durable than less for something that is flimsy and will not last on everything from clothing to appliances, furnishings, etc. My mother always said that I would rather have one garment that's well made and good quality than a closet full of poorly made clothing. My middle sister is the opposite. She wants anything and lots of it! lol