Budgeting for 2008

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
If you are like me ....you always plan to do better in saving and budgeting for Christmas....but sometimes the best laid plans....go astray...In 2008 I am going to make it a priority and here on the boards we will have threads related to ideas for "getting the most" for your money, ways to save, ideas for good times to get the best deals, and other challenges to keep us on track. Let's make 2008 the year that we REALLY get our Christmas budget in shape and STILL have a fabulous holiday!!!!!

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Due to some things changeing I really need to budget and save for Christmas in 2008 so I will be looking forward to this.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Okay....the first thread to help us budget for 2008 is over in the Gifts and Giving Forum. It is called Saving Money with a Gift Closet and we will be discussing the whole concept of the gift closet and how to make it work for you and help you save money. If you are interested...hop over and check it out.

CreativeChristmas

Retire Member
Dec 6, 2007
Wisconsin
Love the idea, need to do it, and already contributed to the first posting about the gift closet. I am in a pickle about what to do with a few items I have left over. Do they join the closet or do I return them for cash??? I'll decide by this weekend.

Pipster

MHH Member
Dec 28, 2007
Sherwood Forest
I'm the same gingerbug, every year i say i'm going to save some money from my wages each month and don't, this year i have been out in the sales buying gifts, my other half thinks i'm crazy, I've used the money people have given me for christmas to buy other people's gifts with but i don't mind i know that come december 2008, i won't be broke, the best thing about this christmas is that it was credit free! I haven't used my credit card to pay for any items! How good is that!

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
That is fabulous....I have done better this year...but can't say credit card free.....that is my goal for 2008...

Great Job....you should be proud!!!

Hopefully my finances will improve enough to get my budgeted shopping done throughout the year this year so I am not as stressed out as I have been the past few years. I am seriously just considering making the aunts and uncles a favorite meal or dessert as their gifts!!! I always buy gifts for my cousins kids but I am considering stocking up on Chuck E Cheese coins with the coupons we get every so often in the Sunday paper!! How cool would that be to fill a mini stocking with Chuck E Cheese coins...I would be the cool "aunt/cousin" wouldn't I.....lol

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
I have a Christmas Club account every year, but every year I blow past the total amount! In 2008 I really would like to budget better and just use the amount of the check I get. I know it's sort of old school, but I've already made up envelopes for everyone and everything I can think of...stamps, baking supplies,Christmas card supplies (I make my own)....I don't budget for that stuff, but I will for next year. I'm so excited to already be thinking about next year!! I still won't need wrapping paper so that's an expense I won't have..yay!

I don't have much on my cc, and I will pay if off next month, but I don't want to charge a thing next year...we'll see how that goes!

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
My DH gives me cash every payday to put away for Christmas and, although I need to sit down and run the numbers one last time, I think this year we were under budget! Saving monthly is awesome! :grin:

snowowl

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
For next year I plan on buying those grocery store gift cards, there is no expiry date so if I get one every month, that should buy the food for the holidays if nothing else. The store I go to has everything from bedding to candles to clothing and everything in between. I will then give them to my friend to keep for me until December, she won't give them back even if I plead and beg, if I needed food she would rather give me that than the 'certs'. :grin:

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
snowowl said:
For next year I plan on buying those grocery store gift cards, there is no expiry date so if I get one every month, that should buy the food for the holidays if nothing else. The store I go to has everything from bedding to candles to clothing and everything in between. I will then give them to my friend to keep for me until December, she won't give them back even if I plead and beg, if I needed food she would rather give me that than the 'certs'. :grin:

Great idea! Have you done this before? Just curious how much you put on the cards each time?

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
Well after posting here last night I decided it was time to take all my receipts and tally them on a spreadsheet........holy cow......the total I have is twice the amount of my Christmas Club and it didn't include stocking stuffers or my dd's 24 days gifts!! :slap:

Waaaaaay too much money spent. Next year will be much leaner!

This year was much leaner and you now what when someone asks my kids if they got everything they wanted for Christmas they say yes!!! I can't believe it!!! I am definitely simplifying next year but hopefully by choice and not because of my ex.

The grocery gift card works out well. I used a $100 WinnDixie card throughout 2007 for each holiday. I only used the money on the "meat" of dinner. I even prebought a boneless leg of lamb for Easter 2008!! Then I spent my regular money for the sides and such!!! This definitely worked out well. I hope to get enough money together to do it again this year. I still have 7 dollars on my card which I will use to buy cabbage and potatoes for New Years Day dinner (i already have the corned beef).

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I don't normally do a gift closet but I did pick up some red/clear wine goblets on sale for a future present in 2008. I also plan on putting a bit of money back each month. I already bought the wrapping paper and gift tags so won't need those next year and I shouldn't need to add to my decorations either, but I probably will anyway. LOL

I plan on buying elf presents all year long in preparation for December. I also am planning on putting lots of money into savings this year. My DH will be gone for the year so it should be fairly easy.

Tasha

Retire Member
Dec 29, 2007
Arkansas
Dh and I have been working on the plan for 2008. I will say we went way overboard this year. But, nothing was bought on credit cards. It was a totally cash Christmas!

What we are going to do is get a checking account at a bank that has free checking and 6% interest. We'll be able to get to money if we need to and it will yield more than a regular savings account. I will also be able to buy for the gift closet if I find a good sale.

snowowl

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Christmaslvr said:
snowowl said:

Great idea! Have you done this before? Just curious how much you put on the cards each time?

I have done this before on a limited basis, this coming year I plan on doing it every month. I will put a minimum of $20 or more if I can. Even at the min. it will be enough to at least buy the extra groceries and a few lux. or choc's for gifts. I am quite looking forward to it.

Holiday_Chatter

MHH Member
Dec 22, 2007
snowowl said:
Christmaslvr said:
snowowl said:

I have done this before on a limited basis, this coming year I plan on doing it every month. I will put a minimum of $20 or more if I can. Even at the min. it will be enough to at least buy the extra groceries and a few lux. or choc's for gifts. I am quite looking forward to it.

I want to do this for next year as well for holiday baking supplies.

I used to do a ton of bakign at the holidays, but got away from it when the little ones were, well, little!

Some are still little, but I'm committed to get back to it in '08!

I thought about it this year, but supplies seemed SO expensive I couldn't bring myself to buy them, but I figure if I tuck a little away each week / montha nd put it on a gift card, it will be a gify to myself late next autumn that won't have to come out of the holiday budget!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I love the idea of the grocery store gift cards, I am going to start doing this as well.

:snowman: Melanie

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
snowowl said:
Christmaslvr said:
snowowl said:

Excellent idea! I can definitely put $20 a month on a gift card and I love the idea of using it for baking supplies! Even just from Jan - Oct that's $200!

Thanks so much! I'm going to start another envelope and put $5 away with each week's paycheck and get a card at the end of each month!