Christmas Eve basket

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Whusky

MHH Member
Jun 7, 2022
UK
I start using my Christmas china on December 1st and dig out any festive wear, fun holiday earrings, switch to a more festive nail polish. I think it's a great idea. What would you put in a December 1st box? Are you thinking like 24 items, sort of an Advent calendar, open one a day type thing.
I love the festive nail polish idea.
I was thinking something different from an advent calendar; basically a Christmas Eve box but moved up to the first instead... I like to buy a Christmassy t-shirt/jumper, socks, PJ's little things like that, so I guess I could put them in? Anything themed so the family gets to enjoy them from the start and it kicks off December.
Problem is, I also really like doing the Christmas Eve box! I don't fancy the thought of adding extra days of presents in for the sake of it though o_O

Reactions: luludou

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I like the idea of a Christmas box at the beginning of the December. Could be sheets or a Christmas pillow case, mug or glasses, necklace or a charm bracelet, pjs, socks, small music box, movies, even curtains, coloring books, books to read, pencils. None of these have to be brand new. You could put in thing you keep from previous year: christmas socks, gloves, hats, scarves from last year if they still fit. A Christmas bedspread.

Reactions: luludou and Whusky

Whusky

MHH Member
Jun 7, 2022
UK
I like the idea of a Christmas box at the beginning of the December. Could be sheets or a Christmas pillow case, mug or glasses, necklace or a charm bracelet, pjs, socks, small music box, movies, even curtains, coloring books, books to read, pencils. None of these have to be brand new. You could put in thing you keep from previous year: christmas socks, gloves, hats, scarves from last year if they still fit. A Christmas bedspread.
Yeah, I guess I could put in our Christmassy stuff, but make it more of a special thing rather than just getting things out as and when. Could add in the new things too.
The box I do on Christmas Eve usually contains gingerbread house kits, a book or magazine, and bath stuff.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
There are lots of ways to make Christmas last all month long. On the last few days of November we bring out the Christmas coffee mugs, place Christmas paper napkins in the holder, change the bed linen to our Christmas quilt and put the green and red towels in the bathroom. Simple stuff.
I like the idea of a box to be bought out on December 1st to be enjoyed all month. You can make this as simple as you like and still enjoy a pared down Christmas Eve box on the 24th. Look for things now, a new book, Christmas movie, nail polish, game, puzzle etc can be bought over the next few months and stored somewhere.

Here is a sample of a Christmas countdown that we have done at our house, all easy things that don't cost a lot or take much effort. Remember that it is Summer here at Christmas so you may have to change things up to suit you.

1 Start advent calendar
2 Wrap presents
3 Cheese and crackers for dinner
4 Family movie night, pop some popcorn and snuggle in
5 Decorate the tree
6 Send Christmas cards
7 Sing a carol or two
8 Write to Santa
9 Read a book
10 Bake cookies
11 Homemade pizza night (try a dessert pizza)
12 Nibble on a candy cane
13 Cuddle on the couch
14 Milkshakes for dinner
15 Play a game
16 Drive and see the lights
17 Paint nails a Christmas colour
18 Dinner outside (it's warm here)
19 Listen to music
20 Sit and watch the lights
21 Open Christmas cards
22 Drink hot chocolate
23 Family photo in front of the tree
24 Christmas Eve basket
25 Merry Christmas.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
When the kids were little, we did our version of Christmas Elves. The Elf on the shelf is creepy looking to me so we got 2 plush stuffed elves (1 boy and 1 girl) that the kids could snuggle with and play with. When the elves arrived on Dec 1st they brought an ornament and sometimes PJs, a book or something else christmas related for the kids to enjoy all month long.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I start using my Christmas china on December 1st and dig out any festive wear, fun holiday earrings, switch to a more festive nail polish. I think it's a great idea. What would you put in a December 1st box? Are you thinking like 24 items, sort of an Advent calendar, open one a day type thing.
I do the same. Christmas decor here comes out the weekend after Thanksgiving and includes my Christmas coffee mugs, plates, platters, and misc serving pieces. For family or group dinners, I use my holiday china (bought a couple of years ago on Facebook Marketplace for $20, something I always wanted but couldn't afford. At my age, it only made sense to buy economically.)

Whusky

MHH Member
Jun 7, 2022
UK
There are lots of ways to make Christmas last all month long. On the last few days of November we bring out the Christmas coffee mugs, place Christmas paper napkins in the holder, change the bed linen to our Christmas quilt and put the green and red towels in the bathroom. Simple stuff.
I like the idea of a box to be bought out on December 1st to be enjoyed all month. You can make this as simple as you like and still enjoy a pared down Christmas Eve box on the 24th. Look for things now, a new book, Christmas movie, nail polish, game, puzzle etc can be bought over the next few months and stored somewhere.

Here is a sample of a Christmas countdown that we have done at our house, all easy things that don't cost a lot or take much effort. Remember that it is Summer here at Christmas so you may have to change things up to suit you.

1 Start advent calendar
2 Wrap presents
3 Cheese and crackers for dinner
4 Family movie night, pop some popcorn and snuggle in
5 Decorate the tree
6 Send Christmas cards
7 Sing a carol or two
8 Write to Santa
9 Read a book
10 Bake cookies
11 Homemade pizza night (try a dessert pizza)
12 Nibble on a candy cane
13 Cuddle on the couch
14 Milkshakes for dinner
15 Play a game
16 Drive and see the lights
17 Paint nails a Christmas colour
18 Dinner outside (it's warm here)
19 Listen to music
20 Sit and watch the lights
21 Open Christmas cards
22 Drink hot chocolate
23 Family photo in front of the tree
24 Christmas Eve basket
25 Merry Christmas.
I love these ideas, thank you so much for sharing them. Maybe I could print them out, put in individual numbered envelopes to be opened on each day?
When the kids were little, we did our version of Christmas Elves. The Elf on the shelf is creepy looking to me so we got 2 plush stuffed elves (1 boy and 1 girl) that the kids could snuggle with and play with. When the elves arrived on Dec 1st they brought an ornament and sometimes PJs, a book or something else christmas related for the kids to enjoy all month long.
We have a creepy elf called Jeffrey! The kids hate him haha.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I love these ideas, thank you so much for sharing them. Maybe I could print them out, put in individual numbered envelopes to be opened on each day?
You are welcome. My kids always enjoyed doing something special every day and it was not much effort or cost to organise. I like the envelope idea.

Whusky

MHH Member
Jun 7, 2022
UK
Not trying to spam the forum (just posted in gift closet). I've just bought 3 mini Christmas Lego sets. I need a fourth, but I was thinking of doing a timed competition to see who can build the set the quickest, with a small prize for the winner.
Thought it would be nice to have an extra activity along with the gift. Now I need to think of a silly prize...

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
but I was thinking of doing a timed competition to see who can build the set the quickest, with a small prize for the winner.
Super idea! How about a slightly bigger lego set for a prize? Or a gift card to the lego store?

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Thought it would be nice to have an extra activity along with the gift. Now I need to think of a silly prize...
How about something that the kiddos can share and can be used for another activity. Maybe some bubble bath or bath bombs and the night after the Lego building they could have a bubble bath using the new bubbles. A win/win.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Reactions: Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I think I owe the credit to you and Halimer
You are a sweetheart but that is just how we do things here. Always happy to help.

So interested to see what other brilliant ideas you come up with.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Glad I could help!

girlfromthebog

MHH Member
Jun 3, 2023
NY
I know this is an old thread, so I hope I'm not breaking any rules by reviving it?!
I've heard of some people that do a December 1st "box", rather than have it on Christmas Eve. That way they get to make the most of any Christmassy themed clothes etc.

What are your thoughts on this?
hi there, i'm thinking a dec 1st box :) my DS will be 6 just a few weeks after Christmas, and we've been doing advent calendars that start on the 1st the last couple of years. this year i've picked up a cute book about a mouse called winston that you read one chapter a day. amazon link: how winston delivered christmas book i expect we'll also have a lego style advent calendar to go through every day. but so glad i found this thread of things to add in to the box :D we have an elf too, but not heavy into the lore on that one (altho maybe this is year for that).