Christmas plans for 2023

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

frostythesnowman

Premiere Member
May 4, 2013
uk
Good afternoon MHH friends...As we are hurtling towards the festive season what is your plans for Christmas 2023......We are planning having all the family at ours for Christmas dinner and that would be roughly 18 sitting down for dinner then for Hogmanay (New Years Eve) We are heading Edinburgh the biggest street party to take in 2024....How about you guys what have you got planned?

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Frosty- We will do Christmas Eve at my house and
probably Christmas Day Dinner at my niece's.

My cousin will be in Arizona from Washington State for a whole month so
we will probably do NYE with her.

Annie

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Guess I need to see when DS has his son. Either Christmas Eve or Day. I actually like to do our Christmas a week or two early. Spreads the toys out instead of getting a bunch on one or two days. When my kids were growing up we always opened family gifts on Christmas Day and Santa gift early Christmas Day. Everyone picked one gift to open when we took off the ornaments from the tree. Usually after during the first few days of January.

Reactions: frostythesnowman

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Good afternoon MHH friends...As we are hurtling towards the festive season what is your plans for Christmas 2023......We are planning having all the family at ours for Christmas dinner and that would be roughly 18 sitting down for dinner then for Hogmanay (New Years Eve) We are heading Edinburgh the biggest street party to take in 2024....How about you guys what have you got planned?
Frosty do you dress up in a costume for this event. Looks like a whole lot of fun.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We will be having a Christmas picnic this year. Our city has beautiful lakes that have picnic tables etc and we thought that this year that would be nice. We will take our Christmas lunch there and then head back to Mum's for dessert and unwrap gifts and stockings. Boxing Day lunch will be leftovers at Mum's house.

frostythesnowman

Premiere Member
May 4, 2013
uk
Frosty do you dress up in a costume for this event. Looks like a whole lot of fun.
Do you mean the Hogmanay party as in wearing a kilt like the scottish tradition ummm no i would freeze so i wear dressed trousers and a white shirt...This would be my first time at the Edinburgh street party its the biggest one in the world.

Reactions: halimer

frostythesnowman

Premiere Member
May 4, 2013
uk
Christmas Eve is always my family over. Family exchange of gifts.
Christmas Day who ever comes to eat comes. Kids, granddaughter and us open gifts in a.m..
New Year's Day my sister does.
Sounds lovely Lana....Family is what makes it so special my friend.

frostythesnowman

Premiere Member
May 4, 2013
uk
We will be having a Christmas picnic this year. Our city has beautiful lakes that have picnic tables etc and we thought that this year that would be nice. We will take our Christmas lunch there and then head back to Mum's for dessert and unwrap gifts and stockings. Boxing Day lunch will be leftovers at M
Having christmas dinner next to a beautiful lake sounds amazing.....I love the left overs on boxing day thats what we do.

Last edited:

frostythesnowman

Premiere Member
May 4, 2013
uk
Guess I need to see when DS has his son. Either Christmas Eve or Day. I actually like to do our Christmas a week or two early. Spreads the toys out instead of getting a bunch on one or two days. When my kids were growing up we always opened family gifts on Christmas Day and Santa gift early Christmas Day. Everyone picked one gift to open when we took off the ornaments from the tree. Usually after during the first few days of January.
Your plans sounds fantastic ...I do remember my parents used to have christmas dinner on christmas eve so christmas day was just a day to relax and chill out not running around like headless chickens in the kitchen....I will miss not having my parents around this christmas.

frostythesnowman

Premiere Member
May 4, 2013
uk
Frosty- We will do Christmas Eve at my house and
probably Christmas Day Dinner at my niece's.

My cousin will be in Arizona from Washington State for a whole month so
we will probably do NYE with her.

Annie
So do you have a big meal on christmas eve @AnnieClaus .....I love new years eve its a time to put the sad times behind you and look forward to a brighter new year ahead my friend....Christmas eve i am in the kitchen most of the day preparing for the big day then in the evening we sit down to finger food and a few glasses of prosecco....Also our tradition that we have done for many years is the adults open one present at the stroke of midnight on christmas eve coming into christmas day:)

Last edited:

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
We host Christmas Eve and Christmas Day Dinners.

Christmas Eve is a buffet, and we exchange gifts with DH's side of the family. It's a good time with lots of food and laughs and games. Christmas Day dinner is usually with us, my mom, DH's aunt and cousin, some years there may be a couple more guests. I am thinking about making Prime Rib this year.

I used to do a sit-down dinner for Christmas Eve and Christmas day but it started taking a toll on me with the prep, cooking and cleaning. DH helps but it was still a lot of work. Switching to buffet on Christmas Eve made it easier more enjoyable.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Christmas Eve will be attending Candlelight Service at our church and Christmas Day will be DH and I relaxing. Our family will come NYE for our family Christmas. We will have a Bake Potatoes with all the fixings and a 7 layer lettuce salad with an assortment of GF cookies and snacks. I have some Minute to Win it games to play and we will exchange Christmas stockings. Dgds will have gifts to open from grandparents.

frostythesnowman

Premiere Member
May 4, 2013
uk
We host Christmas Eve and Christmas Day Dinners.

Christmas Eve is a buffet, and we exchange gifts with DH's side of the family. It's a good time with lots of food and laughs and games. Christmas Day dinner is usually with us, my mom, DH's aunt and cousin, some years there may be a couple more guests. I am thinking about making Prime Rib this year.

I used to do a sit-down dinner for Christmas Eve and Christmas day but it started taking a toll on me with the prep, cooking and cleaning. DH helps but it was still a lot of work. Switching to buffet on Christmas Eve made it easier more enjoyable.
I totally agree with you about the prep,cooking and cleaning @Minta....I have to have a plan in place days before i prep which defo helps me.....As for the cleaning the family does that as i am normally snoring on the sofa by 8pm lol....Your christmas sounds lovely my friend.

frostythesnowman

Premiere Member
May 4, 2013
uk
Christmas Eve will be attending Candlelight Service at our church and Christmas Day will be DH and I relaxing. Our family will come NYE for our family Christmas. We will have a Bake Potatoes with all the fixings and a 7 layer lettuce salad with an assortment of GF cookies and snacks. I have some Minute to Win it games to play and we will exchange Christmas stockings. Dgds will have gifts to open from grandparents.
We have done the candlelight service several times but as we had kids we struggle to keep up that tradition....We also have christmas games after dinner with the family.... :)

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Each year we have a big Hanukkah party on the weekend of Hanukkah - which is an 8 day festival so there's usually at least one. We have a big buffer of smoked fish and salads, play games and exchange gifts. You don't have to be Jewish to attend!

This year DS and DDIL will be in Japan.

Christmas Eve is often an early movie and Chinese food for dinner.

For the past 40+ years we have spent Christmas Day with good, old friends - aren't they the best? We ahve a wonderful buffet of duck, goose, ham, pheasant and assorted sides. I usually provide the dessert - often a buche de noel.

frostythesnowman

Premiere Member
May 4, 2013
uk
Each year we have a big Hanukkah party on the weekend of Hanukkah - which is an 8 day festival so there's usually at least one. We have a big buffer of smoked fish and salads, play games and exchange gifts. You don't have to be Jewish to attend!

This year DS and DDIL will be in Japan.

Christmas Eve is often an early movie and Chinese food for dinner.

For the past 40+ years we have spent Christmas Day with good, old friends - aren't they the best? We ahve a wonderful buffet of duck, goose, ham, pheasant and assorted sides. I usually provide the dessert - often a buche de noel.
Sounds like you have a big party bash...Yes old friends are defo the best my friend....Chinese food for dinner on christmas eve thats awesome. :)

Reactions: halimer

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Do you mean the Hogmanay party as in wearing a kilt like the scottish tradition ummm no i would freeze so i wear dressed trousers and a white shirt...This would be my first time at the Edinburgh street party its the biggest one in the world.
In the video I watched I saw people dressed in funny animal customs.But maybe they were in the para…

frostythesnowman

Premiere Member
May 4, 2013
uk
In the video I watched I saw people dressed in funny animal customs.But maybe they were in the para…
We normally watch it live on tv to take in the new year....I dont like it when the cannon goes off to bring in the new year...I will be thinking of my mom for sure.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
We normally watch it live on tv to take in the new year....I dont like it when the cannon goes off to bring in the new year...I will be thinking of my mom for sure.
I like to watch noisy and large crowd things on TV better. Same with fireworks.