Crafters Challenge for 2012

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
We have another whole year to plan for our crafts for Christmas 2012!!!! And the events that come up between them.

I have items that I did not get done for this year that I will put over onto the list.

So be thinking of things you would like to try!

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
[ ]decorated small notebooks
[ ]decorate Christmas cards

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I have a basket full of unfinished projects, My first priority.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
I have alot that I would like to get done in 2012 but I have to get thru all this grief that has come our way these past couple of months just in the last 3 weeks we have had 6 deaths that are close to all of us or some of us. My son has had one surgery and getting ready to go in for the next one on the ninth. At this rate I don't think I will ever be able to have me time again. I did end up getting the 12 blankets made and just dropped the last two off to my nefhews today and actually got a hug for it from the eldest of the two.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Doodlebug, glad to see you on!!! So how are the wedding plans coming? When is it? Sounds like nice ideals you have so far.

Miss JoeDee, also glad to see you on!!! I think I have several of the UFOs also. I really have to get a grip on things.

KimD, nice to see you posting!!! I have been wondering about you. I am so sorry to hear of your losses. Hope your son is okay. :grouphug: to you and prayers too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope 2012 starts getting better for you!

Seems I can remember starting last years 2011 thread and thinking what all would get done in the 12 months! LOL!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I will work on my list next week when things are back to normal and I want to buy any Christmas fabric I need, right awaY!!! so I don't end up looking for stuff all year and getting it only in November

sierra_mtns

Retire Member
Oct 9, 2011
This year:
4 baby quilts
4 quilted wall hangers
4 sets of Christmas fabric panels to quilt and embelish into Christmas ornaments -- keeping one set for family and friends, selling the rest
10 beauty baskets with hm soaps, candles, bath salts, bath bombs, massage oils, etc.
48 apple butter
48 rosemary oil
48 hm vanilla

I know there is at least 10 UFOs in my sewing totes, and the plan is to go through them this week and see what all needs to be done, what needs to be bought to finish them, and how much time and effort is required. Some of them may just be donated to the 4-H fabric and rummage sale.

Update:
Book marks for family from Pop's ties
Pillowcases/shams/toss pillows from two of DMIL's formals for DSIL and DNiece
Christmas dresses for DGD and DGNiece from a blue velvet formal of DMIL's

Last edited:

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Hmmm - I'm wondering how ambitious to be this year...

I'm thinking of leg warmers and mittens for my "girls" this year and maybe do fingerless gloves for he men - just have to find "manly" looking yarn.

And I just got the list of classes from my favorite Florida knitting store. They are offering classes on weaving. That may be something I want to try. Lots of possibilities.

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
Halimer:
Check out Deramores.com

I have been ordering yarn from this site all fall. They have alot of great sales and..FREE SHIPPING. It comes from Great Britain but I had one package arrive in 2 days. I bought alot of James C. Brett DK yarn in 80% acrylic and 20% wool in wonderful manly colors. It makes great socks that are very soft and warm.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Thanks Alison - I'll check it out.

carol1231

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
W-S, NC
I have a long mental list of things to make this coming year. I plan to get started the beginning of January. Hopefully!

On Christmas Eve, Joann's had a great sale on fabric, so I did some stocking up shopping. I look forward to watching everyone's progress thru the year!

Happy New Year!!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I'm not much of a crafter but want to be!!!!!!

One of my goals for 2012 is to learn to knit!!

And then maybe I can knit some blankets for Christmas gifts 2012!

I'm going to go look up a knitting class right now!

Annie

carol1231

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
W-S, NC
Annie - last year was my "learn to knit" year. I wanted to learn to knit socks. I took a beginning knitting class at a local yarn shop and did a couple of simple projects such as scarves and cowls and then started on socks. I just started my 4th pair, or maybe I should say re-started, because I made a mistake and started over (which still happens on most of my projects). Since the beginners class, I've joined a knitting group at the yarn shop. We meet each week and sit and knit on whatever project we are working on, there is an instructor to help when we are stuck, and it's just nice sitting and socializing.

I hope you are able to find a class in your area - it is a fun hobby!

Last edited:

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Looks like this thread should be busy with all our plans.

Have not made it up to Joanns yet so I am sure alot of Christmas sales will be picked thru if I ever go!

Good to hear all the plans.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Carol1231- I'm looking forward to this!!!!!!!!!

Problem with the knitting class- I most likely will have to go to Tucson to do it. 1.5 hours each way. It's offered 3 Saturdays in a row.

The same place offers one Saturday for 3 hours. They have a date for January but nothing for February yet. So, may consider that.

There is one place in town I can look at.

The 3 Saturdays won't be too bad- Maybe I can go somewhere fun for lunch after or hit a store I can't go to down here. OR- go to a movie I can't go to down here!

Annie

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
I didn't give many handmade items for gifts this year. I had a lot of good intentions though! I did give 4 of the lighted glass blocks that I made with my Cricut and they were very well received. I have a lot of ideas for 2012 and need to get them all down on paper. Once again, the first step is to straighten up and organize my sewing room.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Annie I took my crochet classes from an add in the local newspaper. A lady was giving courses at her house. Small group of 4 or 5 and we would crochet and she showed us. it was really great and we would always stop at some point for some tea and homemade treats. It was the best class I ever had.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Lucie- That's a thought.

I am left handed and when I took crocheting, the instructor had never taught a left hander and I could tell she was frustrated and having a hard time- because everything is backwards to what she was used to.

So, a small group- or even individual instruction might be good for me.

Annie