Crafters Challenge Sept. 18th-Sept. 24th

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Well, ladies my usual saying "we are starting another week". 98 days till Christmas!!!!!

Today I would like to make 2 more weight covers for our thing at work in the drive up drawer. Have a fall one but going to make one like my check book cover and then I have some money material to make one.

The diamond glaze is settling, so will glue the paper and it has to set either 24 or 48 hours before putting on glaze. Hoping to work on that tonight and some pasta glueing.

What is on your list for the week?

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Believe it or not I have actually made the 2 weight covers for work. I have about 3 projects that require glue so will try about 2 of each and then in a few days finish them before doing several to see if it works.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I am hoping to make the ornaments for a Jesse Tree. This will be for my grandchild I purchased wooden shapes to burn the symbols on and will back it with some scrapbook paper. I purchased garland roping (instead of a small tree) at Hobby Lobby for a draping across the fireplace so they can add an ornament each day. I will make a special booklet of Scripture readings for my son, Addie's daddy to read each day.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
MissJoeDee, glad to see you posting and :welcome: to MHH!!!

Your projects sound really nice. Hope you share with us as you continue making them. We like pictures too.

Where are you from in Northern IL?

charscorner

Retire Member
Jan 7, 2010
I was able to accomplish a fair amount last week.

1. finished the five cool ties for my son
2. finished one of the three coaster sets for my special thank you gifts
3. stitched the actual pillow for my husband's chair cushion but am holding
off stuffing it until later to better conceal it temporarily
4. the second costume is complete on the machine with a few minutes of
hand stitching needed

This week is an extremely full week so not much can be done. I'll do the hand stitching to complete the costume headcovering piece and hopefully get the third costume cut out. Time will tell about accomplishing any sewing on the machine.

Charlotte

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
This week I need to finish up my wooden pumpkins I have 4 done did take a picture of them but at the moment when I want to update my blog I have no clue where someone put my camera. It did go to camp with us this weekend and I do know it came home will have to ask the kids when they get home.

While at camp the kids did pick up more acorns for me but by the time we left we forgot to grab the bag they were in so another trip to camp will be sometime this week.

Miss Makayla has decided that this year she is going to be a dead cheerleader for halloween so I need to get going on that one. She wants the uniform like hers but in black and orange. I think that I already have material enough todo it. Just need to figure out what to make pompoms out of. Now just Kenny has to decide what he is going to be. I don't think David will dress up and not sure about Randa

Little Miss Emma wants me to make her wings to go with her costume so I guess that I need to figure out that this week too. She was so cute this weekend, she comes running up to me Aunt Kimmy can you make me wings. 3 years old and knows who to run to when she wants something.

supermom315

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Deptford, NJ
I have started knitted scarf #4 for gifts..... got a few "carvable" styrofoam pumpkins for ds13 & ds5 classes for Halloween (gonna paint faces on them & use lollipops for hair)

Can't wait to decorate for Halloween & find out what ds5 wants to be this year!

hagd
Tina

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Lana,

I am from Gurnee. We live about 1.5 miles from Six Flags Great America. Gurnee Mills is close by too.

I would really like to work on UFOs but my dear house needs me more.

Thanks for the Welcome.

Last edited:

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Charlotte, I am impressed quite abit done---YIPEEE!!! What are cool ties?

Kim, I remember making Halloween costumes--so fun. Keeps you busy with that many!!!

Tina, that is great #4 scarf. How many more you doing? Halloween decorations sound nice too.

You ladies all put me to shame! :eek: :eek: :eek:

charscorner

Retire Member
Jan 7, 2010
Lana,

Cool ties are long cotton tubes with pockets of water absorbing crystals worn about the neck to cool the body during hot weather. By wetting the crystals an evaporation process is set up that cools as the crystals dry out. I learned to make these when my youngest son was in the Navy. I made scads of them for a support group plus supplied my son and his team directly when he was serving as a builder in Iraq. They really helped he said.

Here are a couple of links for the ties. The support group only uses the simplistic style shown in the first website but making four pockets 4.5" apart starting at the center moving to the ends. I still use that pattern as it is so simple.

original for military
http://www.watersorb.com/polymer_cool_neck_bands.htm

http://christmas.organizedhome.com/gifts-crafts-gift-tags/sew-simple-gifts/cool-tie

Charlotte

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Lana my mom always made our Halloween costumes so it just came natural to me to make mine. Last year the kids never decided until the last min so no homemade costumes. Kenny is thinking just a mask again other than a bunch of his friends all want him to dress as a prom queen with them. Makayla last year was a football player but she didn't like that after I said something and all the coaches from pop warner kept telling her see you would make an awesome football player.

I am now posting my wooden pumpkins on my blog

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
Sewing:
[] Dollie blanket with yellow ribbon
[] Dollie blanket with wine ribbon
[] Dollie blanket with pink polka dot ribbon
[][][][][][][][][] Tree decorations
[-][-][] Crayon rolls (the ones I've already cut - I now need to cut another 4!!)
[][][] Cut and sew 3 reusable shopping totes
[] Hanging pouch for DD's books beside bed
[] Hanging pocket for DD's bedhead
[] Pillowcase to match duvet cover for DD's bed
[] 2 big cushions for DD's floor
[][][][][] Cushion covers (2 are 20" and 3 are 16")
[][][][] Lavendar pouches
[][][] Stockings for DH, PIL
[] A "My first dollie"
[][][][] Dollie clothes sets
[] Handbag
[][] Christmas PJs
[] Gardening bag
[] Gardening Apron
[] "Owl" handbag
[] Satchel bag

Cross-stitch and decorative handsewing:
[-] Holly tree decoration - continue working on this
[] Candle tree decoration - will only start this once the holly is done
[] Finish gingerbread man tree decoration
[] Finish stocking tree dectoration

Knitting:
[] Lap blanket
[] Sleeveless jumper for DD

I am keeping going on my list - it's a continuous one of all the things I am trying to do between now and Christmas. I managed to get a couple of hours sewing done on Sunday, and hope to get more done tomorrow and Thursday (might tonight, but I have the class meeting in school to go to as well).

Kim, what about orange and black dyed raffia for the pompoms, but with something grey and kinda cobwebby mixed into it - like a grey lace or even just netting if you have some, to give it a sorta dead feel, and some bits of that dangling a bit longer than the rafia lengths?

The cool ties sound great! Especially in areas where there is a lot of heat.

Better go and get the work stuff done though - just having a quick mooch around on my (too short) lunchbreak.

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
Everyone's projects sound so cute!! I have been neglecting my projects but I am getting back down to business. Last night I finished a plaque for my soon to be daughter-in-law that reads "All Because Two People Fell in Love". It turned out really cute. I wanted to have it finished this weekend because they are coming for a visit. I can't wait to see them!

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
I actually got alot done today.

I got two coats of stain on the cabinet that I am doing tomorrow I will put the third and final coat on. I do need to sand and stain the doors for the bottom half yet

Got a bunch more wooden pumpkins done tomorrow I need to finish up the last 10 or so

Also started working on a couple of other things for the girls room tonight also which will be worked this week

And a couple of things for myself got started.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I was thinking that was what the cool ties were but guess I never put a name with them.... DUH!! I really should do a few of those for different ones. Guess I need to order the stuff.

SD, good to see you back. When is that wedding? You sure have made her alot of nice stuff.

Wings, you have a nice list and I know you will knock it down.

Kim, sounds like you are always crafting or at kids sports when not at work.

I need to go check on my list and carry it over.

I did glue some pasta together last night to try some ornaments. The Fiori pasta. 2 bigger ones and 2 small. Will let them sit till week-end and then paint with the gold leaf and see if I like them before doing more. Still have a few more things I NEED to glue and let sit to try the stuff and see if I will make or not.

Sounds like we are moving on stuff ladies. :) :) :)

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
Thanks Lana! The wedding is May 26, 2012. She is an awesome young lady and we are very excited to have her in our family.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Lana in the 2 years I have been at this job it seems like I have very little time to craft, but I try to.

Tonight Kayla had open house and this week since all 4 of our elementary schools have open house cheer practice is messed up. They are doing stunt group practice on different nights. For some reason I thought Kayla's was tonight, duh why would it be since it was her schools open house. I was talking to her coach and she wanted to know if I was going to make cheer banner for compition this year because the girls did see it when they were down on the mats and they liked that. So I guessI have to make a new one for them in the next couple of weeks.

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
I made a really simple Christmas Countdown notebook today. School supplies are on clearance really cheap right now (what's left of them, anyway!) and I have a stash of more than a dozen spiral notebooks. So, I made a rip off countdown sheet for each day. I just started at the last page in the book and made that day Christmas and then numbered up and dated each day until I got to today's date. If you use a basic one subject notebook, you would need two since they only go to 70 and there are still 95 days (well, that is the number I will rip off at bedtime tonight, anyway)

I am going to add ribbon, fibers and fabric strips to the spiral for decoration. Then, I want to work on a task to put on the back of each page. Basically, one small thing to do each day until the big day. The task can be cleaning, organizing, shopping, wrapping or better yet...celebrating. :)

I am going to look for a really pretty 100 page notebook on clearance for next year's version.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I have made NO progress this week at all. I am going to bring the lap blanket with me to work on in the car, and prehaps the cross-stitch for evenings as we are away this weekend. But work was way too manic to even contemplate crafting at nights.