De-Decorating To Do List

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Okay...I always have tons of trouble de-decorating. It's not that i wan to leave it up longer...its just so overwhelming!!!!

So I have started this thread for us top post (daily or whatever) our to do lists as we pack away Christmas 2007....I hope it helps me stay on track...I would like to pack things a bit better this year and label stuff...also...ummm this year I lost the box with the elves in it...LOL

TO DO 12/30/07

[X] Take down tree in living room (box is labeled so okay on this one)

[ ] Pack away Boyds Nativity set (box already labeled)

[X] Clean Master bedroom...get rid of all lingering Christmas wrap, extra candles, and anything else that is hiding there only partly done

[X] Clean office...same as bedroom...Christmas stuff creeps in everywhere around here... only partly done

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I'm not touching the tree yet, but I'm dealing with post-Christmas clean up.

[x] Wash and put away punch bowl on kitchen counter.
[x] Find somewhere to put new Christmas bowls we got as a gift
[x] Wash more of Christmas clothing sitting under the tree.
[ ] Put away wrapping paper rolls stashed under the hutch.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I think i've about got all my Christmas stuff down and boxed up. I didn't label the boxes, however, I know what's in each by looking. I used clear plastic tubs so I can see. LOL

All I have left is to:

[ ] Remove the snowflakes from the ceiling
[ ] Remove the 5 ornaments from underneath the mantle
[ ] Wreath from basement door and outside wall

I know which box these are going in once I get around to taking them down.

HallmarkLady

Retire Member
Oct 22, 2007
I am starting to work on the Christmas clutter and pack away decor. I am working on the storage area as I pack. I need to get rid of some items and send them to the Goodwill store if they are presentable.
[x] Organize, pitch, and pack Christmas wrap.
[x] Organize, pitch, and pack everyday wrap.
[x] Take down and organize outside decor.
[x ] Take down and organize inside decor.
[x] Decorate with snow people. :bigsnow:

coffeenut

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 10, 2007
Spartan Country-mi
Here is my list:
(x) clean off dining room table and put Christmas items away
(x) label totes as I pack
(x) clean off and put away items on kitchen counter.
(x) find new home for cardinal decorations
(x) put away Christmas items in bedroom
(x) put furniture back in living room
( )clean and organize bathroom
(x) take down and put away tree.
(x) redecorate with blue silver and white
I am putting the tree away this afternoon and can rearrange furniture then.
It helps to see in print what I still need to get done. :help:
I have almost everything done now except for a little in my bedroom
I put away pillows and some other decorations.
Feels great to be almost done. I did need to buy a new tote to finish putting some of the things away.

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
It's a little late to start today - we've had our dinner at my mom's for New Years today. My list for tomorrow (12/31) will include:
[]take down all Santa related decor - I keep nativity and general winter themes up longer
[]organize, sort thru wrapping supplies
[]inventory gift closet - planned on doing this a few days ago and didn't get there

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
All I have left todo is put all the totes into the attic and that will be done tomorrow. Even went outside in my jammies and took that stuff down and got it put away in the garage.

rockin_granola

Retire Member
Dec 27, 2007
Go Colts!
www.rockingranola.com
I de-decorate (love that term) bit by bit until the 12th day of Christmas ...

:stocking: done today:
- all decorations in kitchen down and salt & pepper shaker (mr. & mrs. claus that belonged to my grandmother) set aside for my Rudolph Day stash
- stockings taken down and added to sewing pile with this year's ornaments, waiting to be added (my kids all have the same stocking and each year we pick an ornament to sew to it)
- holiday coasters put away and every day coaster back out
- photos off of the top of the piano (and some pictures set aside for Rudolph Day stash)
- downstairs bathroom de-decorated (except for soap dispenser which still has a tiny bit in it)
- holiday tableclothes and napkins washed, dried, and packed away for next year
- Jesse Tree decorations off of small tree in Nature Corner and Advent calendar is put away

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I have the big tree down-it was a real tree and starting to get really dry, so I took it down last Thursday. All of the snowmen and lights on that tree have been packed, labeled and stored in the storage building. The kitchen is more winter than Christmasy, so it'll stay decorated as is until after VDay. In fact, I added some snowflakes to the light fixture yesterday!

In the living room, I need to:
[ ] put Santas on the mantle away
[ ] switch lighted garland on the mantle for the pine one, add in red berry garland for the winter (no lights)
[ ] put Christmas books on mantle away
[ ] wrap and pack away Nativity sets, including new one received as gift
I'll leave the jingle bell tree until the middle of January, then it becomes the Vday tree!

Rest of the house:
[ ] pack away the hall wall tree
[ ] pack away small tree in boys' bathroom
[ ] take tree down in our room, pack away
[ ] take tree down in our bathroom, pack away
[ ] put mini tree in our bathroom in box, pack away
[ ] take down garland on porch rails, garland on mailbox and back away in storage building
[ ] take down candles outside

I'll leave the snowmen and the snow village until after VDay. :snowman:

I have a lot to do. Plus, a mountain and a half of laundry awaits me, as well! What fun! :bigsnow:

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
This is my list for next week:

take down tree
take away advent wreath -> already done!
take down decoration in our living room
write down all replacements (shopping list for next season!)
decorate for winter (snowflakes, snowmen,...)

:shmaorckstring:

Chilli (still 6hrs and 20min until 2008!!!!)

:happynewyear:

rockin_granola

Retire Member
Dec 27, 2007
Go Colts!
www.rockingranola.com
We're getting ready to start our New Year's celebrations in a little bit, so I think what I've done today is "it" for my list of de-decorating in 2007 ... I'll tackle a bit next year ;-)

- packed away Christmas piano sheet music & song books
- washed Santa cookie platter and packed away
- sorted out articles from the December/Holiday magazines that I wanted and recycled the rest
- threw away any Christmas dinner leftovers that were lingering in the fridge (thanks for the reminder FLYlady)
- changed out decor on the kid's downstairs bookshelf from Christmas to Snowmen/Winter
- took down red garland from everywhere but the tree

:heartsNY:

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Updating my list:

[ ::eek:rnament: ] Remove the snowflakes from the ceiling (Finished!)
[ ::eek:rnament: ] Remove the 5 ornaments from underneath the mantle (Finished!)
[ ::eek:rnament: ] Wreath from basement door and outside wall (Finished!)

WOOHOO, i'm done with everything for 2007. Time to start the New Year!

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
We usually host a party here on New Year's Eve, so I am motivated to get all my Christmas decor down and boxed away by the 31st. However, we didn't host a party this year, my motivation was gone, and everything is still up! I guess that's what I'll be doing during football on NYDay!

Take photos of this year's decorations (done)
Sort storage bins -- things got a bit mixed in the rush to decorate!
Undecorate family room tree, sort ornaments and get rid of broken/unloved ones
Undecorate Living room tree and store ornaments in new ornament storage box
Wrap and put away nativity set
Take down garland from fireplace
Wrap collection of Santa's lap pictures in tissue
Launder all Christmas linens/dishtowels
Wrap and store new Christmas serving platters/dishes/bowls
Put away new wrapping paper, throw away bits and pieces

I have LOTS to do tomorrow! Why am I still awake?? :happynewyear:

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
Jumping in a little late here! All of my decorations are down and put away. Here is my list of what is left to do: (which I will start doing today!)

Tree down and ornaments away
Houses in front window away
Take lights down from inside window
Put last of the Christmas dishes and such away
2 trees in dd's room away
Wrapping paper bin away
Unplug outside decorations (will bring them in during the week when it's not raining!)

**Love the term De-Decorating!!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I believe that I will start today. We have so many totes of stuff that we ARE going to go thru and get rid of and take some to Goodwill. Enough is enough. We keep everything and people give us stuff that they just don't want to pitch or whatever cuz we do so much in and out. My ornaments stay inside because they are all homemade from swaps, family and myself so I do pull them out often to make stuff.

Mama It

MHH Member
Oct 16, 2007
I'm just about finished with the inside of the house. I don't know about anyone else, but I actually think it's kind of fun to de-decorate, especially since most of my decs have been up since early November. I put on Bon Jovi, pour a glass of wine, and just go to town. I might end up getting drunk by the time I'm through with everything, but the house will be clean!

Mama It- raising a glass to the other posters. :heartsNY:

Snowbelle27

Santa's Elves
Oct 13, 2007
West Midlands, UK.
I usually wait until 12th night (Jan 6th) to take down my decorations but I've taken them all down and put them away in the loft. I'd still like to have a sort through them and inventory everything while it's still fresh in my mind, will probably wait until children are back at shcool before I get round to that. Would also like to replace the storage boxes but this could be expensive so will have to have that as an ongoing project throughout the year.

:bigsnow:

itsanewme

MHH Member
Nov 18, 2007
watching Off Kilter
I started dedecorating last night. Took down the tree. Ornaments are grouped but not put away in boxes yet. Other Santa/reindeer/etc decorations are down, not away yet.
Still have out all the snowmen decorations. Put red bows in a bag to bring out in a few wks as it gets closer to Valentines Day