De-Decorating To Do List

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

rockin_granola

Retire Member
Dec 27, 2007
Go Colts!
www.rockingranola.com
Yesterday I got a few more things de-decorated:
* washed, dried, and packed away holiday blankets
* removed Christmas books from the kid's books basket (they have a basket of books in between two small rocking chairs in our loft that I use as sort of a "Pooh's Corner" reading nook for them)
* packed away all holiday cd's but one (keeping for Rudoph Days)

The only things we have up now, really, are the Christmas tree and the manger scene on the piano (the Wise Men get closer to the manger every day now) Those things will stay up until this weekend.

:heartsNY:

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
Okay I need to continue with my previous list and add to it. Some won't be done until Sunday night or Monday because our tree and nativity stay up until then...

[*]take down all Santa related decor - I keep nativity and general winter themes up longer
[*]organize, sort thru wrapping supplies
[]inventory gift closet - planned on doing this a few days ago and didn't get there - still not done!
[]organize, put away misc. Christmas stuff bought at after-Christmas sales
[]get Rudy Day tote together
[]pack up Christmas craft materials (kids') and Christmas books and movies
[]take down Christmas tree
[]pack up nativity set
[]de-clutter all Christmas decor, books, etc. - I know there is stuff I haven't touched in years - need to get it out of here!
[]organize stuff to use with our elf into one box - might be a Rudy Day project for the future
[]change pictures on memo board in kitchen - I trade out the family/kid pictures we receive in Christmas cards with last year's and keep them up all year

That's it for now.

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Got quite a bit done yesterday! DH was GREAT to affirm all the work I did and encourage me to stop and wind down for bed.
I figured out that, even with decluttering, I still need another new storage box!

Take photos of this year's decorations (done)
Sort storage bins -- things got a bit mixed in the rush to decorate! (done)
Undecorate family room tree, sort ornaments and get rid of broken/unloved ones (done)
Undecorate Living room tree and store ornaments in new ornament storage box (done)
Wrap and put away nativity set (done)
Take down garland from fireplace (done)
Wrap collection of Santa's lap pictures in tissue (done)
Launder all Christmas linens/dishtowels
Wrap and store new Christmas serving platters/dishes/bowls
Put away new wrapping paper, throw away bits and pieces
Put trees away in storage

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I decided yesterday to start de-decorating. For the tree I decided I would take one type of decoration off each day to spread this chore over a few days. De-decorating is always hard to do. So yesterday afternoon while I was watching Twilight Zone I started on the ornaments that I put on the tree last.

Before I knew it, I had all the ornaments off the tree, packed up and dh was moving the tree into the storage area. It's done and I didn't even realize it. It took me just over half an hour of moving slow and steady.

I have a few other items around the house to pack up. Then I'll change my table display and I'll be done.

momof9

Retire Member
Dec 3, 2007
LALA Land
My list:

[] photograph decor
[] begin take down and inventory of decor
[] sort movies and books
[] put together Rudy day tote
[] Jan 6th- take down the main tree and nativity scenes
[] launder Christmas linens
[] begin list of items to purchase in 2008
[] redecorate in snowman/winter theme

That is a start but I am sure I am forgetting ALOT

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
Here's my updated list:

[x]Tree down and ornaments away
[x]Houses in front window away
[x]Take lights down from inside window
[x]Put last of the Christmas dishes and such away
[x]2 trees in dd's room away
[x]Wrapping paper bin away
[x]Unplug outside decorations (will bring them in during the week when it's not raining!)

Got everything done on New Year's Day, just have to bring in the outside decorations. Finally stopped raining but now it's 20 degrees and very windy!! I'll bring them all in over the weekend.

As much as I love Christmas, I love having my house back in order!

momof9

Retire Member
Dec 3, 2007
LALA Land
I got quite abit done yesterday and think I will leave the rest for the 6th

[X] photograph decor
[X] begin take down and inventory of decor
[/] sort movies and books (did the movies and books but forgot to add CDs... still need to do those)
[/] put together Rudy day tote
[] Jan 6th- take down the main tree and nativity scenes
[] launder Christmas linens
[/] begin list of items to purchase in 2008
[] redecorate in snowman/winter theme

Still lots to do!

Little Elf

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I have half the decorations down the tree and the really high decorations I'll have my dh help me with on the weekend...probably Sunday. I have the diningroom mostly tidy. Still ahve to get the kids toys put away in their rooms and find a place for my new sewing machine. Gotta vacuume tonight after I clean up the toys the kids have and just generally clean up before company comes at lunch tomorrow. WHen everything is pretty much done I can tackle my bedroom/closet. :help: LOL! I also have to think about my other daughter's birthday on Feb. 2nd.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I think I have all the decorations packed up. Tomorrow I'll search the house for those decorations that you just don't see the first time.

The tubs are waiting downstairs to be put away in storage tomorrow. And I still need to redo the vase I keep on my dinning room table.

Everyone is doing such a great job!

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Ahorsesoul, I know what you mean about going over the house a second (or third!) time, looking for missed decorations! Too funny!

I bought a new tub today to handle the decor overflow and I THINK I got the last bit of 'inside' decor inside it! It's waiting in a corner to go out into storage. Now to tackle the outside decor! Thankfully, we didn't do much, just a wreath above the door (waaay above-- it's going to require the extention ladder!) and lighted greenery around the entryway. And a pot full of silk poinsettias. That won't take long, and will get done Friday or Saturday if the weather isn't wet.

It's nice to see some clear, flat surfaces again!

dreamto

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
I used to take my decor down on Jan 1st until I found the OC website. the last 6 years I have been leaving it up untill Jan 6. But this year it will be after Jan 20th. We will be having family come home that weekend and they want "christmas" lol so we are doing it all over again then. :grin:

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
Another Christmas - lucky you! :leprechaun:

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
So,
my list is finished now:

take down tree -> done
take away advent wreath -> done
take down decoration in our living room -> done
write down all replacements (shopping list for next season!) -> done
decorate for winter (snowflakes, snowmen,...) -> done

Chilli

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
De-decorating now. AND PURGING! And photographing so I have photos of all the decor this year for my Notebook. Everything that was used. Everything not used. And I'm numbering boxes. And on my laptop I have an Excel spreadsheet that I'm logging everything on, so I know where it is. AND I'm labeling one of my boxes "Christmas In July" and I'm putting in it the projects I didn't get done this year. Ornaments that need to be fixed. Ribbons that need to be turned into bows, etc. One more day of complete obsession and I can relax! Back to the spreadsheet...

Chinook Girl

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Friday night after work I started un-decorating. Organized basement with tables for each room's decorations.
Saturday I un-decorated the kitchen and family room.
Today I will un-decorated the living/dinning room and the bathrooms.
May plan is to spend an hour each night next week after work and go thru all the decorations, and declutter, repack, relable, and hopefully cut down by half. Have saved things for years that I really don't use or want. :heartsNY:

mrspaul

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
big sigh --- tree down, decorations all packed, put away, living room just looks normal now, makes me a little sad !!! -- but I left christmas candles in the front bedroom windows - they are lit!!!!

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I undecorated the tree and the house today. It's standing in my livingroom with only lights. My DH can't take it out until tomorrow so I left the lights on. My DS's 2' artificial is in the kitchen and just needs to have a bag slipped over it before it's moved to the basement. All my other decorations were moved downstairs.

Boy, it looks so bare in my house now. :snow:

jodilee10128

Retire Member
Oct 23, 2007
Isn't this all just so depressing? Christmas is over.

"heartstrings: Valentine's Day is nice, but not the same.

cipalla

Retire Member
Oct 22, 2007
PA
Okay, I still have alot up inside. got everything down from outside except for lights on the house. I have so much it just gets overwhelming, then I think...if I just leave it up I will be way ahead for next year. :rotflol: