December Magical Moment #14 The Illusive Perfect Christmas

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
December Magical Moment #14 The Illusive Perfect Christmas

One thing that creates stress during the holiday season is the illusion of the perfect Christmas. The story of Christmas isn't perfect....I mean what mother do you know that wants to give birth in a cold, damp, dreay stable surrounded by smelly animals? And why were they traveling? To be counted so they could pay taxes....ummmm not exactly a trip of joy.
But anyway I digress....the point is Christmas isn't EVER going to be perfect.....no day is....it's just not possible. There will be tired cranky kids, quarrels, money worries, illness, and lost gifts. So be it....perfect isn't really all it's cracked up to be anyway. I mean think about it ....doesn't perfect make you a little uncomfortable? It feels a bit fake and surreal. So I'll settle for a "good" Christmas...and I won't get hung up on a tree that's a little tilted or a gift with a mismatched bow. And when someone is a bit grumpy....I won't feel like it ruins the whole season. And I promise to be good to myself and not fall into the trap of thinking what I've created, chosen, baked, or given isn't "good enough". I hope you will let go of the illusive perfect Christmas and join me in celebrating the best Chrismtas of all.....a Christmas that exists in our hearts and travels with us thorughout the year.

skynyrdfan

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern Illinois
Bravo, Ginger! It seems like everyone's expectations are so high, and we want that Norman Rockwell Christmas when in truth its more like the Griswolds.

One of the best Christmases my family had was the year I had been seriously injured and hadn't worked in 6 months, my father was on disability from having a massive heart attack right before my accident, and the only person working in the house was my 14 year old brother with a paper route...There were precious few gifts under the tree and luckily dinner was a potluck at my grandmother's house. After dinner we opened our gifts and watched wrestling as a family!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I just wanted to say that I love these magical moment topics. I haven't had time to really sit, think and give a response but I have copied/paste each one to use for next year. Maybe after all the celebrating is done I may be able to answer them for this year.

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Yes, I agree with you, aggy! I am truly enjoying these topics. It's great to sit back if even for a moment and think through each one.
I guess for me, in this stage of my life, a 'perfect Christmas' is one where the kids are happy and not bickering with each other over anything :huh: I have GREAT kids and I love 'em to pieces, but they're pretty human.

Two years ago, I served a wonderful Christmas dinner full of tasty made-from-scratch food and a gorgeous table. It was lovely. Last Christmas, we went to my sister's for the day. Her house was a bit messy, dinner was clam chowder on the stove and make-your-own ham sandwiches. It was lovely!

Gingerbug, you're right -- it's so easy to fall into the trap that what we've done for others somehow isn't 'good enough'. What a joy-stealer that is! I am going to attempt to clobber that thought over the head when it rears up again. With a present with a crooked, mismatched bow!

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Our Christmas's are never perfect and I don't think that anyone in my family would want them perfect. My mom said that last year was perfect because she had all her children and grandchildren under her roof all in one night. My nefehew lives 3000 miles away with his mom and last year was the first christmas he was with us in 10 years. To her that was the perfect Christmas. Hmm even with my brothers dog throwing up everything she ate in the middle of the livingroom after we finished eatting. :slap: it was quite gross.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
The best Christmas dinner I had was pizza. lol When my Mom asked us kids what we really wanted for Christmas dinner that's the answer we gave. She figured it was making us happy, was easy to clean up and was relaxing to fix. It also had leftovers which we ate for breakfast the next day. I can just see a Norman Rockwell painting with a family eating Christmas pizza dinner.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
I remember Christmas of 1978. (My parents had divorced for a few years and remarried one another later on, but in 1978 they were divorced.)
It was just mom, my two younger brothers and myself. We didn't have a lot, but we did have each other.
Mom got us each one gift off our Christmas list and a six-pack of our favorite soda. It was all she could afford financially, but emotionally and spiritually, it was the best gifts ever. I remember that Christmas Eve it snowed these picture perfect big fluffy snowflakes....I couldn't make it to midnight mass because I'd been at my grandparents earlier and had a small glass of homemade dandelion wine. It was way too sweet. A neighbor boy had come to walk with me to mass, but I was puking my guts up!! LOL
We were so close as a family, though. It was definitely the feelings that made that Christmas so special. (P.S. I NEVER drink wine...ever. LOL)

Rackandrollgal

MHH Member
Dec 22, 2007
Great Smoky Mountains
AMEN!!!!! :applause:

destiny

MHH Member
Apr 8, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Speaking of not perfect Christmases! This past Christmas was a huge upheaval! My marriage had literally fallen apart, I was about to move (leaving my husband) Feb 1, my house was a disaster area - more unorganized than it has ever been (reflecting my emotional crisis I suspect), (I was working full time and doing online college classes and starting up my website which contributed to no time for the house!)and then my children and I all came down with a horrid case of the stomach flu on Christmas eve!! We were all laying on the couch christmas eve with buckets near us (just in case!) wow what a memorable christmas!!! yikes!!! LOL!!! But guess what? It turned out magical! Late in the afternoon my daughter and I looked at each other and said "its christmas we need to do something! So we grabbed the turkey we had stored in the fridge and threw it in the oven and then went to the store in search of something to make that we could keep down and make our christmas special. In place of the usual holiday foods we just said forget it - and wandered through the aisles picking out all kinds of fresh exotic fruits for a giant memorable fruit salad, 7up to toast the holiday with, and some fresh french bread from the bakery. Serving those delicious but non traditional things with our turkey we had a christmas we will always remember mainly because my daughter and I said lets go and bonded picking out fruit together! LOL My sons loved it and everyone was able to get a bit down and felt better, put on fresh pjs and watched christmas dvds! Very different from the "perfect" martha stewart type holidays of the past and actually so much better! Now we have vowed to do that every year - throw in a turkey and say what sounds good and then shop christmas eve afternoon! LOL - who says christmas has to be traditional? LOL

destiny

MHH Member
Apr 8, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Oh forgot to tell you all about my Christmas tree this past holiday!!! LOL I was so desperately unorganized I finally got the tree up about a week before Christmas and realized I couldnt find not one of my holiday ornaments, tree skirt, nothing!!! So I went to the fabric store purchased some gold lame fabric, some sheer gold ribbon and took a huge bunch of silk butterflies I still had on hand from decorating over summer and used the fabric as the tree skirt, the ribbon for garland and the butterflies as ornaments. I topped the tree with one giant butterfly ornament I purchased and added some pure white candy canes (we always have candy canes on the tree to munch on LOL) and then threw handfuls of loose glitter all over the tree - well again very untraditional but wow! the tree ended up looking as if it had been decorated by christmas fairies!!! LOL It just goes to show pure terror on not finding your christmas decorations can really inspire creativity!!!! LOL

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
This is a very, very, very good statement, Ginger!!!!
I am absolutely with you!!!!

I know, we all think about having something like a "perfect life"; having everything perfect
the whole year and not only on christmas.
But, do we really want this? Everything is easy going, no challenges, nothing to surpass oneself, etc.

Nevertheless some things in life are really, really, relly hard and not easy to understand.

Chilli

destiny

MHH Member
Apr 8, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Yes - LOL - sometimes it takes not having everything "perfect" to break out of your old routines and establish new more meaningful traditions! Sometimes things being done "as they should be" is not always the right thing for your family at that particular time. Luckily things seem to be mellowed out for me a bit, I am now moved to a beautiful condo and have all my "clutter" that I am actually organizing piece by piece in an offsite storage unit LOL - while I still cant find everything I have a pretty, nicely decorated and best of all really clean decently organized home for my family and dare I say it but I am also in love - my fiance and I met on myspace and the rest is history, he has moved to my state from his home in Nebraska and is now with us also. So things can turn around pretty quickly in life as long as you "roll with the punches" and stay flexible! This year I suspect our Christmas will be back to quite the martha stewart type holiday since my fiance loves christmas as much as I do but yet we will never forget the christmas of 2007 where everything fell apart all at once! hahahahahahahahaha

I plan to keep the glitter and butterflies idea for the tree for this year as everyone loved it and add in our family ornaments which I now actually found! LOL The whats sounds good for Christmas dinner idea of shopping at the last minute we are keeping as well as that made things fun and kept the stress off big time! LOL

I am joining the Rudolph club this year so I can finally sort through my boxes of christmas stuff LOL and get my notebook together so next year will be a little less frentic and much more fun! LOL

I am hoping that Christmas this year will not consist of me doing ALL the work!!! I am truly hoping to sit back and relax for once but I know that is not going to happen.

I need to sit back and figure out who and what I plan on baking for this year as far as edible gifts. I have already purchased lots of food gift boxes from the Martha Stewart line at Michaels on clearance and my Aunt's store also has TONS of christmas patterned cupcake liners (50ct) 4 for $1. So I will be stocking up on those too.

purplecrush

Premiere Member
I so needed to read this. Every single year, I stress out about making everything perfect. I always plan these big dinners and make all this personal stuff for my family and they never ever appreciate it. I get so fed up with it and makes me want to not do anything for them. So this year im deciding to just do things just for my kids and my mom. The rest of my family can just do what they want.

Thanks for posting this!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
purplecrush,

Good for you!!!! Stick to this and you will have the best Christmas ever!

Bren

Retire Member
Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
What a wonderful thread!

I would like to share the Christmas that I was NOT looking forward to...because I knew it was going to be far from perfect :frown: . Christmas 2002 I was just going through the motions. You can't go sit in the corner & cry when you have a 5 year old and a two year old excited about Santa & his goodies :package: . I had suffered a miscarriage April 2002. That baby was due the end of November & would have been celebrating her first Christmas with us. I went on to lose yet another precious little one Nov. 1, 2002. I was depressed and so horribly sad. I kept plugging along for the kids. The big day arrived and they were having fun. Then it hit in the middle of the day....the flu :thud: . My DD and I were beyond ill. We curled up in our beds & Christmas was done as far as I was concerned. My DH nursed us both & took care of the rambunctious two year old as well. When I started feeling a bit better he brought me a present. It was a poem he had written for me and it basically put into words all my feelings as well as his own. He had been resistant to try & have "just one more baby". In the poem he told me he was ready to try again. When I finished reading the poem he handed me a pair of baby shoes for our next baby to wear when they were born in 2003. Well, after I boo hooed and hugged him (and cried some more) I realized that this Christmas hadn't been at all what I had wanted or expected, but God had a way of showing me his neverending love. I really wasn't alone in my grief and life was going to go on. In case you are wondering....I gave birth to a healthy baby boy, December 14th, 2003 and he did indeed wear the shoes his Daddy gave me :love: .

Bren :flower:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Bren,
Thank you for sharing your tragic and beautiful story! My heart goes out to you and your family. You are in-deed blessed. You have a strong soul and will help many people in your life by sharing your story.

alisonmcg

Retire Member
May 2, 2008
Oh Bren,bless you for sharing your story with us.
I've given up on "the perfect Christmas" as is set out in movies etc. People aren't perfect,and just because your alltogether on that particular day,they won't suddenly become perfect. Christmas is about family and we love our families', imperfections and all. :grin: As long as we are all happy and together,then that's the "perfect Christmas" for me.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I've loved reading all your stories!