December Magical Moment # 8 Cookies

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register
Thanks AuntJamelle for your update on freezing the cookies. I think this is something I will definitely try this year. Last year was a bust because money was REALLY tight. This year I have begun to prepare my dry ingredient bags and hope to be in good shape for the holidays this year.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Are you freezing the dry ingredients when doing them this early? As far as the flash freezing, at what point do you do that before placing in freezer bag?

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
What I have done is make up the cookie dough and then on a cookie sheet I've lined with wax paper, I just drop the cookie dough in the appropriate amount, just as if were going to bake it.

Actually though, you can get many, many more cookies on one sheet because you are not baking them and they won't spread out on you.

Then I take the loaded cookie sheet and put it in the freezer for at least 20 minutes, no longer than 1 hr.

The cookie dough has hardened and can easily be peeled up from the wax paper and thrown into a freezer ziplock bag. Then just seal the bag and throw it back in the freezer.

It is a good idea to label the freezer bag with the cookie name, temp to bake at and time to bake - or you could reference the cookbook it is from and page number if needed for baking/decorating followup.

I have also frozen rolled cookies, I just place the rolled and cut cookie shapes on the wax paper lined cookie sheet and treat them the same way as described above.

:-D

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
This prep info is so helpful. Again, how early do you start and what is a good amount of time to keep them fresh in the freezer?

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
I love making cookies. As a kid we used to make a dozen different kinds of cookies and candies (fudge, peanut brittle, sugar cookies, m&m cookies, peanut blossom cookies, spritz cookies....).

We would make a day of baking two Sunday's in a row. My grandparents would come over and help us bake (they would take home their portion of the work).

Now.... No more sweets. Being diabetic, sweets are a big N-O. :thud:

I miss all the fun. Now I must read the recipes and imagine the taste.

MinnieCo said:
Are you freezing the dry ingredients when doing them this early? As far as the flash freezing, at what point do you do that before placing in freezer bag?

I do not freeze the dry ingredient bags due to lack of freezer space. Our house is kept at the proper temperature at all times. My dad has all the windows taped shut so there are no humidity issues ever....lol I store the bags in the darkness of our hall closet inside a box. They are all labeled with what recipe they belong to and if it is mini bags with just one ingredient like sugar (separated to cream with butter/shortening first), I will list the amount of the ingredient ie...2/3 cup sugar or 2 1/2 c. flour. And as mentioned earlier I will label the other bags as such: banana bread dry ingredients, cake mix extender ingredients, dream cookie dry ingredients, etc....

I will be prepping as much as I possibly can during the Christmas in July events!!!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
In answer to MinneCo's quesion "How early do you start and what is a good amount of time to keep them fresh in the freezer?"

I have heard many different opinions on how long cookie dough will stay "fresh" in the freezer. Some folks only do things up a month in advance, others as long as 3-4 months in advance.

I take the middle road and start putting away dough in freezer starting in early November.

I might even do a batch at the very end of October, but probably no sooner than that.

I think that the factors such as - how cold your freezer is (the temps do vary based on model believe it or not :slap: ) - how you wrap/store them, etc.... might make a difference in how long they seem to stay "fresh".

Also, when it is time to bake the cookies, I have typically baked them straight out of the freezer.

Sometimes this will mean that it takes a minute or two longer to bake than "raw" dough. I always start on the low end of the minutes called for in the recipe and then stick 'em back in if needed.

By the 2nd or 3rd pan I've hit the perfect time. Which I'll note in my cookbook if it is a recipe I think I might repeat the following year.

Some folks will let their dough sit out on the cookie sheet until it thaws, and then put it in the oven. Which works fine too, I am sure.

I just don't have that much patience. I want the cookies NOW!
:grin:

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Thank you...I think early November would be perfect to start!

holidaymama

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
My husband and kids...well who am I kidding...me too...we love fresh cookies!! I am the only one that bakes so when I do, I flash freeze individual dough balls. I have a nice little scoop that makes the perfect size of cookie, so I scoop out a pan at a time and freeze the little balls and then put them in a freezer ziploc, but I do use wax paper inbetween layers. I always triple my recipe when I make cookies.

For sugar cookies, I roll them out and cut them, add sprinkles and then freeze. I layer them the same as well.

It works for us. My thoughts on freshness are that if you use really good ingredients for the dough, you wont notice if they have been frozen!

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
Using a cookie "disher" is the greatest thing to add to your cookie baking items. Uniform size, no sticking your finger in the dough to get it off the spoon etc..

BUT- I would highly recommend getting a restaurant quality one at a restaurant supply place. The ones you buy at target WILL break or bend on you especially with a heavy chilled dough like shortbread. They come in difference sizes and they are sometimes numbered. I would bite the bullet and get a couple of sizes so you can have some flexiblity.

Love them!

I have finally come the conclusion that I get to spend the bucks for quality kitchen items. It is the man's power tool argument used in reverse. You need to spend money to get good power tools that do the job---- but some power tools only get used once a year and most kitchen items can get used once a week! Dishers are a kitchen power tool. Spend the extra $$.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I've always called those Cookie Scoops. Pampered Chef sells them.

Here is a link:

http://www.pamperedchef.com/our_products/catalog/product.jsp?productId=238&categoryCode=KW

I didn't have good luck with the one I bought from Pampered Chef, maybe I didn't chill the dough enough? It wouldn't come out of the scoop very well.

I actually forgot I had it! :sad: I'll have to make a note to get it out and try using it on different batches of cookie dough this year!

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
AuntJamelle said:
I didn't have good luck with the one I bought from Pampered Chef, maybe I didn't chill the dough enough? It wouldn't come out of the scoop very well.

AuntJamelle-- I have heard them called cookie scoops too. If you go to a restaurant supply place or a commercial kitchen they call them dishers ( they use big ones to "dish" food on plates too!)

I had a Pampered Chef one at one time too- mine didn't work well and ended up breaking :sad:

Around Valentines they had red ones at Target for like $1.99 (and they are plastic) and I haven't had a problem yet wth them. It helps to get a more uniform size for baking. I too have problem sometimes with the dough sticking but hey at least the cookies are the same size...lol!! I bought 4 scoops so when I do my mass cookie baking my boys can help me with the "scoop" cookies!!!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I wonder if lightly spritzing the cookie scoop/disher with PAM or other cooking spray would help with the dough sticking problem?

I don't know if you would have to spritz each time, or if it would last for a little while?

What do you guys think?

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
My experience is not that the dough "sticks" per se but that the metal "blade-like" piece that rotates inside the disher goes bad- breaks, gets "overstretched" kind of and then won't sweep the dough out properly.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to give it a spritz and try that though!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
AuntJamelle said:
As long as you flash freeze before you throw everything in the heavy duty ziplock bag, it works great!

How do you "flash Freeze" ... please? ::eek:rnament:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Thanks JF! I guess I'll eat more chocolate today!!! I have a good excuse! :santalol: