December Magical Moment # 8 Cookies

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Flash Freezing is super easy!

It just means putting the items in question, cookie dough, veggies, whatever, on a cookie sheet so that they are not touching each other.

You then put the cookie sheet in the freezer for a short amount of time, at least 20 minutes, probably not more than 1 hour.

This short time in the freezer lets the items become hard, so that they can then be thrown together in a bag and put right back in the freezer. This avoids the problem of things getting stuck to each other while in the freezer bag.

It works great on cookie dough and I've heard it referenced now and then in other types of situations.

I highly recommend lining your cookie sheet with wax paper before putting down your dough. It is easy to peel the dough off after the flash freezing session is over and it keeps the cookie sheet clean!

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
I flash freeze lots of stuff too!

Leftover pancakes
berries for smoothies
blobs of leftover tomato paste ( I do TBL blobs)

It is so worth the extra effort!

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
Do you all freeze dough before it is cooked, or the baked cookies?

I don't do decorating. At all. I make some cookies that you cut rounds off a roll and bake those (2 variations - chocolate chip, or lemon and orange - using the same basic recipe), and I have another spicy gingerbready kinda mix for rolled out ones.

I make a couple of batches of teh rolled out ones as they are really nice - the toddler was given a baking set that has a bunch of plastic cookie cutters in various shapes (a car, boat, mushroom, elephant, heart, that kinda thing) and they are all lovely and small cookies as a result. So I make at least one batch of those for the toddler to bring to her creche (daycare) for one of their party days (and I always get asked for more!!). I sometimes use that recipe as well to make larger ones - I have a gingerbread boy cutter, a holly leaf, and a larger heart - which I have for visitors and I usually like to bring some of those into my office for teabreak in the last week before holidays.

If I could make more ahead of time, that would be nice. especially if they are at least already cut out (if they are rolling out ones) so all I have to do is turn on the oven and bake them!!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Winged One - I personally freeze the unbaked dough.

So with your slice and bake cookies, you would slice them, flash freeze the slices per the descriptions earlier in this thread, and then freeze them until needed.

I have also rolled out cookies, cut the shapes and flash frozen those. I just made absolutely sure I was lining my cookie sheet with wax paper before laying down the cut out dough shapes, then after 20-25 minutes in the freezer they were easy to pop off the sheet and into a ziplock!

I am so hooked on doing this kind of stuff ahead of time now! It tastes just as good to me and it saves so much hassle - and SLEEP!

:-D

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I like cookies too ::eek:rnament:

I make:
slice and bake cookie, Christmas Wishes
stamped shortbread
gingerbread men

Keeping it simple! ::eek:rnament:

I have found freezing cookies is not always successful in my home because I have a husband who really likes frozen cookies!! :slap:

Cinnamonstix

Retire Member
Sep 4, 2008
NB, Canada
OMG, I love cookies...I love to make them, cook them and eat them. I love to bake, in fact I do it everyday. I'm a sugar addict ;-)

Over the years I end up baking more and more at Christmas time. I make and give out alot of sweet trays to people who do not bake.

I find the easiest thing is to make an extremely large batch of batter then separate it to add different things. You get the one time clean up and about 5 different batches of cookies that way. You can easily make 20 different types of cookies in an afternoon that way.

gllatshaw

Retire Member
Jan 13, 2008
Florence, South Carolina
My relationship with cookies is strange. I like to give cookies to everyone but don't like the amount of time it takes to bake several different kinds.So -

Cinnamonstix - when I read your post about making one big batch and adding things for varations, OMG, I love this!! Please share your recipe. Do you freeze the cookie dough and add stuff later, or just the cookies? Do you freeze at all? Please, Please, Please tell me!! Jill :confused:

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
gllatshaw said:
My relationship with cookies is strange. I like to give cookies to everyone but don't like the amount of time it takes to bake several different kinds.So -

Cinnamonstix - when I read your post about making one big batch and adding things for varations, OMG, I love this!! Please share your recipe. Do you freeze the cookie dough and add stuff later, or just the cookies? Do you freeze at all? Please, Please, Please tell me!! Jill :confused:

Cinnamonstix, please share with me as well. One time clean up is a very good thing!!

:bigsnow:

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I am looking forward more than ever to getting our new freezer. (If we can still afford it). And even if we can't, I'll find room for a couple of my plastic boxes in there to fit the cookies into - especially now that DH has admitted to his liking for them!!