Gift Closet 2011

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

wvalice

Retire Member
Aug 19, 2008
Well, school has started, so now it is time for me to really focus on Christmas shopping. I got me a new little notebook to write ideas, budgets, plans, LISTS... I love lists. :)

wvalice

Retire Member
Aug 19, 2008
Today was a good day - Somebody delivered a T-shirt that I had ordered for my son that I had forgotten I ordered! LOL Plus, I got my husband 2 Hardee's gift cards for his stocking from my coke rewards. :)

wvalice

Retire Member
Aug 19, 2008
It seems that I am the only one updating lately! Come on, people - share! :)

I found my dad 2 polo shirts in his size on clearance at K-Mart this weekend. Only $3.99. He is a large man, so it is not so easy to find sales in his size, so I was happy. He is like a little kid; he loves opening lots of presents, so I'm going to try and get him a couple more things, so he'll have more to open.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Wvalice.... now that you mention it...... we have been ..... how whall I say it? We have been NEGLECTING this thread.... and.... we are below 100 days to Christmas 2011!!!!!

I did drive by a fabulous garage sale last weekend.... and I picked up a couple of "still shrink-wrapped-in-the-box.... new "paint your own" projects for kids. One will be for a birthday gift next weekend... and one will be a Christmas gift.

I'll get a couple more gifts (for this weekend's party) at Five And Below..... Since I splurged $2 on the first gift... I can get more! And I'll get some Christmas gifts there, too! There is an excellent dollar store in the same mall... good for stocking type gifts!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Last week I picked up 2 battle ships games that were marked down plus I had coupons for so I paid a buck each. They are going to Toys for Tots.

Found several other clearance buys - I spy board games, megablocks table set, big crossword puzzle books, all have been bought and will be used as christmas gifts.

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
We bought the main gift for our son-in-law. Our daughter mentioned that their gas grill was going to need replacing soon and that might be a good gift for Christmas. We were able to get a really nice one on clearance at Home Depot. We also got a cover and a couple of utensils to go with it. Feel pretty good about that! I am still waiting for gift ideas from my son and his fiance. They will be visiting this weekend so I'm going to work on them!

wvalice

Retire Member
Aug 19, 2008
Everybody has been doing so well! I love hearing what other people buy! We did get my son a new laser tag set (pieces to a set - of course they sell each one individually!), but since his birthday is Oct. he may get it then.

I have just not seen a lot yet for anybody that I want to get them. :( I am in the Christmas mood, just not the buying for Christmas mood. Does that make sense? THanks for sharing everybody! :)

christmasrocks

MHH Member
May 30, 2008
Scotland
I think I've only posted once in this thread this year. So save going back and adding everything I've got I'll post anything I buy from here on.

Yesterday I got my some candy canes on sale, a little britain dvd game on sale, colourful ribbon and some wrapping paper. It's all marked off my list and ready to go up the loft!

Last edited:

mrspaul

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
I finished my dh's gifts with Season 5 of Psych and Season 4 of Big Bang Theory - he loves those shows - got them both brand new on ebay for 18 and 23 dollars - both were retailing in the stores for about 30 dollars each - so that was a good deal. That makes dh gifts - grandpa hat and 3 dvds that he loves.

Added to daughter's gits - 3 more shirts from LAnds End on deep clearance. she is all done for clothes now. added two mascara's to her stocking. will concentrate on several dvds that she wants - all very inexpensive - they are the old movies that she loves.
added to granddaughter's pile - added 4 dvd movies she loves - 3 winnie the poohs and 1 my little pony. Granddaughter wants four Winnie the pooh stuffed animals from the disney store for her play - she needs Roo, Kanga, Rabbit and Owl - they are all 16.50 each - will concentrate on those next. (she acts out scenes from books, movies, etc with her stuffed animals!)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am doing fairly well for gifts. Got DS NCIS and JAG dvds and now I think that he is finished.
DD got a heap of make up and hair products so i have been buying those everytime I do the groceries so that was an easy present.
Doing pretty well at this stage.

wvalice

Retire Member
Aug 19, 2008
My husband really wanted to get me a Kindle for Christmas, but I hate to take that much money from our budget for me (for him, I wouldn't mind, but I hate to spend our money on me!) - However, they just released new kinds of Kindles, one of which is only $79. I just ordered a Swagbuck Amazon gift card today, making my total amount of gift cards $80 - Hello, Kindle! :)

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Alice, I'm glad you are getting it for yourself!!! Enjoy it and start spending money on things you enjoy. You are well worth it.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
The other day while I was cleaning and decluttering the laundry room I came across a trash bag that was tied up and tucked away ... I tucked it away so good I forgot all about it and what was in it... Christmas gifts that I bought for hubby and the kids earlier this year so I am even further a head then what I thought! LOL

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Nice find. Especially since it was before Christmas and not during the after the holidays clean up.

wvalice

Retire Member
Aug 19, 2008
Ahorsesoul - you are very sweet! And I agree - I have come across presents in January, and it just makes me sooo mad! LOL

mrspaul

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
I got my granddaughter's stocking all done - I got her four My Little Ponys that she does not have - I will wrap them /that will fill her stocking - feeling good about that !! I also got her 3 My Little Pony Toys that she wanted (remote car, ferris wheel, memory game) - still need to get those winnie the pooh stuffed animals she "has to have". I sent for a 50 dollar gift card for Amazon from my MyPoints - that will really help with the Dvd's I want to get for my daughter.

Ellen

wvalice

Retire Member
Aug 19, 2008
I went shopping with coupons yesterday and did great! I got sets of the travel sized items from Bath & Body Works for myself, 2 sets for my daughter, my workstudy (I work at a college), my niece, and my DD's BFF for free! Each set had the lotion, body wash, and body spray in it. :) Plus, I got the DD's BFF perfume and sparkly body powder, and mints free from Victoria's Secret. I even had free gift bags to put them in, so they are all ready in my gift closet, waiting for some pretty tissue paper. I kinda want to put my tree up so they can go under it! LOL

wvalice

Retire Member
Aug 19, 2008
Things are coming along for me! I used my free Barnes & Noble's gift cards to get my daughter a T-shirt from the campus bookstore and mycokerewards to get my hubby a new, pretty, red stainless steel skillet (for him to make me fried potatoes in! LOL). This weekend we will go put all the big ticket items in layaway (Thanks, Wal-Mart, for bring back layaway for electronics!) I may even order my Kindle today.

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
WOW! You guys rock! I took a long time to get into purchasing Christmas gifts this year. I think it was in May or June when I started. My big purchases for the adult kids were made from HSN. I love, love, LOVE the huggable hangers from Joy Mangano. Each couple is getting a set of them. Each couple is also getting a mini steamer iron. Each family is going to get a popcorn bucket and I bought dvds to put in them. Need to get some candy for them, too. The grandkids are mostly done. DGD#1 is in college so she is getting a gas gift card and an iTunes card. Maybe one more little thing. DGD#2 needs a gift card as well. I figured it up last night, and I need to spend about $125 more to get done. I want to be finished by Thanksgiving. I still have sewing to do: the guys are getting car trash bags, and I will put some things in them (like wipes, tissues, scraper, tire gauge). The girls will get aprons and pot holders. I have everything for them, so no fabric needs to be bought. I stock piled with the gift cards I received for my b/d this year.

Since I retired, I cut my gift list in half, literally. Instead of 30 people, I am buying for 15. I still want to make some cookies and candies, and of course, my homemade hot choclate mix. I need to get the supplies for this soon, because it is turning cooler, and I love to have a nice cup of h.c. with a muffin. :0)

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL PROGRESS BEING MADE!!!! It is so exciting to read about all the great gifts... AND... all the clever shopping! Way To Go, Ladies!!!

TWO MONTHS from today...... it will be December 15th!!!! And then.... everybody will be overwhelmed..... everybody EXCEPT for people like you..... who have been so good about working in advance!!!!!