Gift Closet 2013

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

JennyMariePhoto

Retire Member
Nov 30, 2012
I bought a bunch of Christmas yarn and have been making Dish clothes for next year, trying to get the stash started early this year. I am determined I will not be finishing gifts on Christmas Eve this year

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
JennyMarie - Where do you buy your yarn from? I would like to get some Christmas yarn and make some wrapped wreaths.

Lana - Those candle holders are great to have on hand for a quick hostess gift. Good find!

DH and I went to Dillard's yesterday and bought quite a few gifts for the upcoming year. I'm happy to say that I've logged them all into the spread sheet and now have to move them to the correct event box.

I'm determined to accomplish more during the year and not be running around right before Christmas 2013.

Good job everyone!

JennyMariePhoto

Retire Member
Nov 30, 2012
Kim Loves snow. I got my Christmas yarn at Walmart

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
@Annie: You asked about the Christmas Box for my Mom. Years ago I had read an Ann Landers column which was about what to give elderly relatives for Christmas. Mostly things that they need or use everyday. My mom is not a collector of anything and has very little "stuff" around her house. I knew she didn't need anything to "dust or find a home for". So probably close to 10 years ago I decided to fill a box with things she uses and likes, so that she didn't have to spend her money on them. In it I put: a roll of stamps, her drug of choice which was Bufferin Aspirin (which I believe they don't make anymore), a bag of Tootsie Rolls and other candy, her fave hand cream, a couple of dish towels, a variety of greeting cards...and anything else I could come up with. I haven't done this for her in probably 4 or 5 years. She is now 83 and I think she would love to see a Christmas Box from me again. She always loved it!

So I think I'm going to look back in my notebook on past Christmas' and see what I put in there and start a list for this year.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
@Annie: You asked about the Christmas Box for my Mom. Years ago I had read an Ann Landers column which was about what to give elderly relatives for Christmas. Mostly things that they need or use everyday. .

Love this idea.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Nancy that is a great gift. About 2 years ago I did something similar for my mum, I got a laundry hamper and filled it with all the cleaning products she uses, dish soap, cloths, air freshener etc and then personal things such as shampoo, soap, toothpaste, new hair comb, headache remedy, tissues etc. it took me all year to buy the items but she was thrilled with it and still tells her friends about it.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Nancy that is a great gift. About 2 years ago I did something similar for my mum, I got a laundry hamper and filled it with all the cleaning products she uses, dish soap, cloths, air freshener etc and then personal things such as shampoo, soap, toothpaste, new hair comb, headache remedy, tissues etc. it took me all year to buy the items but she was thrilled with it and still tells her friends about it.

One of my girlfriends did that for her daughter when she moved into her apartment.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
just went to target and got some bags for70% off . picked up 2 tshirts have alot of bags left but not awhole lot of stuff . tons of candy canes there. did get a cinderlla and tinkerbell stocking.

LetItSnow

Retire Member
Aug 13, 2010
Replenished all of my wrapping supplies for about $5 total! Got all sorts of clearance Christmas toys/books for the elves to bring/play with. I picked up a few stocking stuffers at Target today, along with a gift for my girls, who will be the right age for it next Christmas.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Sounds like we are all off to a pretty good start. I would like to think about all the things we may need for next summer so that when it goes on clearance I have an idea of what to get.
Picked up a few things for stockings yesterday.

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL

LOVE this! I plan on picking things up all year long :)

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
My Gift Closet is getting cleaned out. This year (oops, last year now!) I took what I didn't use to the thrift shop. Most were things I'd had several years that I hadn't given away so out the went.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Diedra, That is why I have had to make myself name a specific person, occassion and event that the item I am buying will go to. I do keep a few "hostess" gifts on hand and a few "charity" gifts but the rest have to have an owner before it occupies my gift armoire.

Nancy, I love the box idea. I've done this for kids moving out on their own but never thought of it for the elderly. Thanks!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Ellen, I rarely buy anything without having an idea who it is for. I went through a period where I ended up with stuff that was no good and ended up donated it. A bargain is not a bargain if it gets thrown out.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I could hardly wait to get home to tell you about my start to the gift closet. Mom and I went to Walmart and checked out the Christmas clearance. I came upon an all glass pedestal cake plate with a dome lid. Price $8.88. Thought I would get a price check since it was in the clearance area. Sale price $2.22. There was also a truffle bowl and relish and dish set. Picked up a couple for gifts. Mom got 9 of them for showers, weddings and neighbors Christmas gifts.

I also got some mini stockings $.24 for 4 for slippers for American Girl doll club I teach after school, and 6 rolls of red wrapping paper for $.24 each I plan to wrap gifts in red with black or white ribbons.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
super finds MissJoDee. Love the cake dome for 2.22...Bargain

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Great finds Miss JoDee!

I went to Walmart yesterday as well and walked through the clearance and picked up some Easter stuff for DD and Eli. I got 4 little plastic pots that have a paper around them that the kids can color to decorate their own pot, there's a plastic sleeve around the paper. I picked up two little notebooks, one is butterfly shaped and the other is a frog and a flowery ice pack for lunches or booboos, all for $.50 each. They had all sorts of very nice stickers too but those were $1.50 and I didn't want to spend that much.

Our Christmas clearance was pretty sparse.

appleton

MHH Member
Nov 7, 2007
Wow, amazing after Christmas bargains!

I didn't find much on my annual New Year's Day shopping trip. Guess its a location thing or I waited too late. My only deals were gift bags, Christmas cards & clear wreath holders. No gifts purchased yet.

I have some "leftovers" in my gift tote that I need to assign or donate before I add too much.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Like Diedra I donated some stuff that had not been used in a while. I don't have much in there. I did get a Christmas bib and T shirt for my niece that is expecting. I have been wanting to get bibs for holidays so I got a start with this one. I actually got 2 because I figured my other cousin won't be too far behind her in expecing.

That's about it.... I am sure I will eventually will get more.