Has anyone started Gift Closet 2010?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

wvalice

Retire Member
Aug 19, 2008
my kids really like the the show "Psych" on USA. I'm going to try and get them a season every month or 2. I just got season 1 for not a bad price. Plus, I really like it, too! LOL

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
igot some jewerly for my daughters. ill be watching sales at cracker barrel at end of seasons

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Did my gift closet inventory. For now I'm concentrating on upcoming b-days BUT I have found Xmas stuff in there.

2 dnieces - long pink sweaters
1 nephew - a vest
DD stocking - mini-kitchen thongs, wine charms
For ?:
- Christmas serving platter
- Santa figurine
- Metal Christmas pail
- Mini metal angel ornies
- Metal Christmas chandelier
- Glycerin soaps (red!)
- Snowman soap dispenser
- A set of Christmas handtowels
- Some mini plastic SD cases (to put in stockings)
- A Christmas book for dniece (2)
- A christmas ****tail book
- A christmas book 'gifts from the kitchen'
- A dress for dniece (2)
- Felt food for dniece (2)
- and a few other odds & ends...

This is going well!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Luludou that is already quite an impressive gift list. DD has started to give me a few ideas which means I have got time to look out for bargain. She wants all 6 Starwars DVD's and at one online site they were 19.97 each. We went to a big electrical superstore today and found all 6 for 16.65 each so I got them to put away. While we were at the store I found some great DVDs for stocking fillers for 2.95 each. I got my DDs favourite movie from when she was a child so I think that she will be surprised to see that in her stocking.

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
I have a wool plaid shirt for my husband, and a wool plaid throw for his car. I just got a beautiful book for my sister-in-law. It's called From a Colonial Garden. I got mine in Williamsburg, VA, last week, and I liked it so much, I ordered one for her on Amazon. Check it out. I'm also still working on the same afghans for my nephews that I was working on last year!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I just tried amazon for the first time. Got a lovely book for my mum. 3 Christmas stories in a hardcover book for $3.23. Even with postage to Australia it was cheaper than if I had bought it here. Going shopping tomorrow, and hope to pick up a few more things.

wvalice

Retire Member
Aug 19, 2008
well, i went to a yard sale this morning (yes, I will buy at yard sales if the items are in great condition) and got a few presents:

DM: A star wall hanging
DD: Set of 3 Raggedy Anns - I may turn these into ornaments for her as she does not really sit things like this out.
DS: Rudy DVD
Best friend: 2 door hangers saying "Simplicity" and "Celebrate"

I also got a box of 18 Christmas cards for only a quarter and a set of old postcards from Current for a nickel!

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
I bought a couple of things at Goodwill the other day in the original packaging. I don't have a problem with that or yard sales. I also have a couple of Pashmina scarves from Walgreens that were 2/$10. One is for Coworker. don't know about the other one yet...maybe DD. I have a couple of other things, but don't ask me what they are. I don't remember. I need to keep a list tacked to the inside of the closet. I am thinking of making a few ornament wreaths. Maybe for my kids.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
It seems as though everybody is going well at the moment. I am concentrating on stocking fillers at the moment and am doing OK

I am approaching the time of the year where I hit a bit of a lull. Christmas 09 seems so far in the past to have momentum and Christmas 10 is too far in the future to be excited about. I must keep going throughout these quieter months.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
i got some socks sweaters and pjs that was on sale at new york and co. closat is looking good for christmas

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Sweetpumpkinpye --- hopefully --- we will be able to inspire/encourage each other throughout the year! It REALLY is hard to keep working this far out from Christmas 2009 -- AND Christmas 2010!!!

I agree with you, Pam. Buying ahead is only part of the job. We have to keep lists and try to keep ourselves organized. Not so easy..... for that we need quiet time alone..... to think and plan.

Wvalice -- you scored some great things at that yard sale!!! Those are gifts that I would like to receive!

ChristmasRose -- that gardening book sounds wonderful. I am fascinated by the historic gardens at Williamsburg, Va.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Just tidied my gift closet. I am doing OK. Have just added a range of new things/ideas to my master list so that will give me the push to get going again. Of course I will keep visiting MHH for inspiration. It really is a help and blessing to have so many friends to share Christmas prep with, and to get a gentle push along when needed.
We are all in this together and that helps.

Pam the ornament wreaths sound lovely. I am in need of a new wreath this year so I am interested to see what people are doing. I would really like to plain(ish) wreaths to hang off red velvet ribbon to hang in the dining room windows.

Housewife2...good finds. Don't you feel great when you pick up a great buy?

mrspaul

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
I got two more things for my daughter for christmas - a rose colored fleece vest from LL Bean - on the "daily markdown" - for 12.99, reduced from about 40 dollars, - and just a couple of days ago I got her on the same daily markdown a beautiful LL Bean tote/purse - in a patchwork with the dogs, moose, etc - she had admiried it before on the website when it was 130 dollars - I got it for 50.00. I did get a "little pet shop" habitrail for my granddaughter (on sale for 8.oo) and I got her the game "hungry hungry hippos" - she will be almost 4 and a half at christmas. I got that on sale for 12.99 with a three dollar rebate - reminds me to send in the rebate !!! I got that at toys r us on sunday. Came with a free stuffed animal that I put in gift closet.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I just picked up several more gifts for the kids the other day. Target had games on sale with coupons on Target's and hasbro's webites that made getting some games for our daughter really cheap. Kmart has a ton of toys on clearance with an additional 50% off the marked down prices so I was able to pick up a Thomas the Train set for our son for a fraction of the cost. They are currently stored in the attic along with the rest of the gift totes. I think I will use my monthly Rudy days to go through my gift totes and make sure my already bought gift list is updated. Now just deciding if the newly bought gifts will be for Christmas or their birthdays! Such decisions! LOL!

DawnSu

Premiere Member
Sep 8, 2008
Missouri
I love working at Dollar General....lol I found a few pj's lst week marked down. and this morning when I went in, there was a bunch of towels, wash cloths and other things. I spent 35.00 and all for christmas gifts... I am with pp I have to get with my list & keep it updated, its' in my purse & as I buy things I write them down....lol

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
It is very inspiring -- and very fun -- to read about people's great buys on this thread! Plus, as sweetpumpkinpye said, we all help each other move along towards a peaceful Christmas 2010! It IS so much fun to be in this together!!!

charscorner

Retire Member
Jan 7, 2010
Unexpectedly I was able to do some Christmas shopping for my sons today while in K-Mart. This store had fleece wear on sale at 75% off. I purchased three sweatshirts and a pair of fleece pants usually priced $7.99 apiece for $1.99 each. I think they will both be pleased and my budget hardly noticed.

Charlotte

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I love end of season clearances. Today I got t-shirt and shorts $2.50 each for a young friend I buy for. They will do her for her birthday in October. Got lots of sunblock, tanners and summer clothes marked down as well.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Bought 2 violet kitchen spatulas for DD at a kitchen center - 50% off for Christmas. I gave her 2 of these at her b-day and she was delighted.