HERE - our August Rudy Day Chat - HERE

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Here it is --- our experimental, day-long chat! Today! ALL DAY. Talking about Rudolph Day! Anything and everything about Rudolph Day!!!

I am heading over to our Chat thread -- to let people know where to find this thread!

:rudolph:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
At the 6:00 AM hour -- I turned on QVC -- and there was "Valerie". Valerie owns a business named "Heartfelt Holidays". I enjoy seeing her shows on QVC! Have you ever seen her?

This morning's show features forty-inch long "crystal" -- what would you call them? Chains? You can wind them around chandaliers. You can string them along mantles. Of course, you can put them on indoor trees. (They come with a battery-pack for the lights in the chain.) Oh - I forgot the price. I think around $40. (Yes. Pricey. I don't buy from "Valerie". But I like to watch her!)

She also sold a 40-pack of crystal "teardrops" to hang on the indoor tree. Same price range.

Right now, she is showing a box of 12 silver-colored Christmas tree ornaments. $9.93 plus $6.47 shipping. Yes. Pricey.

The silver ornaments are hung by silver ribbons instead of "hooks". They do look nice on the tree -- WITH the crystal teardrop ornaments.

Silver, crystal and red seem to be the theme colors on Valerie's tree this morn ing. BIG, red sparkly balls (I don't know what they cost.) Very light green (chartreuse) balls. And the silver and crystal. THAT is how the tree is decorated.

ANd on top -- an angel wearing a red velvet coat. About $20 bucks plus shipping.

The tree looks pretty. Everything Valerie does looks pretty. Pricey and pretty.

I have had the sound off on my TV. The "selling" gets annoying to me pretty fast.

THEY ARE NOW SHOWING TWO BIG, FAT, WHITE WOODEN SWANS, WITH RED RIBBONS AROUND THEIR NECKS, FOR $45. Sorry for the all caps. These swans would take up 2/3 of my dining room table.

I am now going to change TV channels to news. And go read some posts on other threads.

Come and chat whenever you like today and tonight!!!!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Morning SN! A Rudy Chat, what a great idea! Since I'm working I won't be working on Rudy day very much but I will try to go over my gift list and I did bring my calendar to update with what I have to accomplish between now & Christmas.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Good Morning, luludou! Working on our calendars is SUCH a helpful, important thing to do!!! Looking at our calendars -- helps us to prioritize things. AND -- helps us to "pace ourselves".... so we don't wind up as an exhausted puddle on Christmas morning.

Not to mention the fact that - all kinds of "real life" stuff happens during November and December. And... we ignore "real life" at our peril!!! Our calendars help us keep everything straight!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Happy Rudolph Day, JackFrosty! OhMyGosh! The Holiday Grand Plan (HGP) starts on Sunday! You are RIGHT! "Looking" at the HGP is a darn good idea today!

The HDP DOES give structure to the weeks (months) leading up to Christmas. AND -- the plan does it's best to get us to spread out the work!

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Good Morning all....a quick check in BEFORE work....can't get online at work...:(

I will be BAD at work today and listen to Christmas music and people will roll their eyes...lol

I am starting to get anxious because I am not as far along as I had hoped ....so much to do with the house as well as Christmas.....have been too tired after work to get much accomplished.

I am sooooo close to having stocking stuffers done but not quite! I will get that done SOON.

HAPPY RUDOLPH DAY.....

And don't forget to check out the blogs for Month of the Elf posts!!!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Good Morning, Gingerbug. I hope there will be lots of fun posts for you to read when you get home today!

This hour -- QVC seems to be having a mixture of things for sale.

There was just a "gift box wrapping system" for about $25. Each box came with different (cute) Christmas paper -- cut to fit the box neatly and exactly. The collection of differently wrapped boxes looked festive.

Now - there are Bethlehem lights. The battery-lit wreath, garland, and small Christmas tree in a decorative tub. All for the front porch. Each one is $30 plus $6.50 shipping. They DO look nice. And everyone says Bethlehem Lights are great quality. (Well... everyone on QVC says that!)

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Happy Rudy Day!

I'm not sure what i'll get to today but I have been working on my HGP plans and my gift ideas list in my notebook. Also my baking planner. I'm starting to get excited. My biggest challenge this year (once again) will be figuring out what kind of gifts to send to DH since he'll be in Iraq.

If I get time I think i'll rip all my Christmas CD's onto my computer and make a playlist for them for my IPod Shuffle.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
In honor of Rudy day & elf month I posted a craft & an elf joke on my blog.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Hi jackfrosty! Christmas music is the BEST!!!!

MrsSoup - Oh... I didn't think about sending a Christmas Box to your husband! Is there any size/weight limitation? AND -- when is the deadline for sending things for Christmas arrival?

And... for you and the Little Soups.... will you be going to stay at your Mom's for Christmas? That is a pretty tough winter drive, with three kids (including a baby!) AND -- will Santa arrive at home -- or at Grandma's?? Lots of decisions! This is making me wish that all The MHH Aunties could magically fly in -- leaving wrapped gifts and delicious food -- and BOOKS for you, since you love to read!!!

:fireplace:

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
SN- I think i'll get the biggest flat-rate box from the post office and try to fill it up, or if I can decide what to get him and it doesn't fit then i'll just have to pay more. I think the deadline is probably sometime in November or very early December but i'm not sure.

I think we'll stay here. I hate to be somewhere else on Christmas. Plus I have the two dogs and I can't take them with me. Hopefully they'll come visit us after Christmas.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Luludou -- I LOVE the craft you posted! These would be adorable decorations/place markers/everything -- for a big, delicious pasta dinner party!!! They re so cute!!!

It is making me visualize a big dinner table, with candles lit, and these decorations! And platters of pasta and good bread and a light, simple salad! Not expensive -- and very wonderful!

:clothes:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Back to QVC. QVC ALWAYS seems to have motorized cars -- with remote controls -- for sale at Christmas.

This time -- they are "inflatable" motorized cars == for something different, I guess. They cost $30 plus the shipping (is $6.50 kind of standard for shipping? It shows up a lot.)

These inflatable cars do not particularly appeal to me. And -- the inflatable ones don't seem sturdy for outside. (And getting the kids outside is one of the benefits of this kind of toy, it seems to me.)

A little earlier, they had a box of glitter stickers with a paper doll to dress in the glittered paper supplied. ($20 with shipping extra.) This one didn't look too bad. Not worth $20! But -- it came in a pink and purple box and looked like fun for girls of a certain age!

OK. I have eaten breakfast and now I will go outside to do my walk. (It is nice to do BEFORE breakfast -- but I was watching QVC!)

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
MrsSoup - it really does make sense to stay at home at Christmas! It would be a logistical nightmare to try to travel -- during the season of winter storms and winter flu and EVERYTHING!!!

For me -- this is going to be the year of the BEAUTIFUL, SIMPLE CHRISTMAS!!! I am trying to consider every single thing with the question.... "Does this help make A Simple Christmas?"

That does NOT mean that I am not going to do things. I just feel a huge need to do things "simply" this year.

I am supposed to be on my walk (15 minutes today) -- but I saw MrsSoup's post and needed to respond! OK -- I'll go now!

alisonmcg

Retire Member
May 2, 2008
Happy Rudy Day everyone! QVC in the UK don't have any Christmas shows until 4.00pm so I think I'll watch a Christmas special I've recorded(one of many!) and light one of my Christmassy candles.:)

festivefun

Retire Member
Feb 25, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
That does NOT mean that I am not going to do things. I just feel a huge need to do things "simply" this year.QUOTE]

Hiya everyone. Would you believe it was had been frosty when I left to take OH to work this morning :O Put me in the perfect Ruddy day weather. I have my tunes on right now.

SN I really want that a simple Christmas in the sense that I want it to NOT be about the money spent and planning helps put it into perspective. I REALLY REALLY want the end of November to be organised. NOT completely organised with everything done, but to have some things done and very organised, checked thrice lists!! So I know what still needs to be done, with no Christmas surprises (except the good ones.) I know real life will still through up a few though and I know I'm lucky to be here experiencing those surprises-good and bad.

I've started looking at the Houseworks Holiday Plan and as everyone probably knows I've moved into a new home recently nd it is going to take time to organise, but rather that than just dumping stuff away and having to deal with it later.

QVC over here doesn't have any christmas stuff on till 4pm (its nearly 3 over here). It's all crafting stuff though, fancy seeing some ornaments and stuff. Plenty of time though :D The music is entertaining me in the mean time x

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Happy Rudy Day, allisonmcg! Thank you for mentioning "lighting a Christmas candle"!!! PERFECT!!! How come I didn't think of that? Oh well, you thought of it -- so we are all OK. We're reminded!going to do that too!!

Right now -- QVC is alternating between Bethlehem Lights -- hanging baskets, with Christmas lights that go on and off. And -- Christmas figurines. They always look cute to me! But -- our house is small -- and we don't have a lot of empty surfaces. And the surfaces that ARE empty--- they give us calmness and serenity. Sometimes I do break down and buy something Christmassy to put up on some surface. But.... I really try NOT to!!!!!

What kind of crafting things do they sell on your QVC? We used to have a lot of crafting shows on TV for Christmas. Now -- it is basically down to Martha Stewart!!! Martha has a daily TV show -- and she does crafts! AND -- she has Christmas specials.... with crafts. However..... Martha does eerything to such HIGH standards! I love what she does... but I don't often attempt to do her projects. (More often on cooking than on crafts.) Oh... he also sells "craft supplies" and "craft kits". In stores.

As I am watching QVC -- with the sound off -- I am noticeing that their "set" does not seem as "festive" as it sometimes is for a Christmas show. Hhhhmmmm. Is it me? Well -- maybe some of the later "hours" will have more festive sets.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Festivefun -- you did a really good job of explaining the idea of "A Simple Christmas" that I have been mulling over. TONS of organization. Tons of "thoughtfulness" and "meaning". VERY light on the money spent.

AND -- OBVIOUSLY == I want to spend LOTS and LOTS of time enjoying Christmas!!! As you can see -- I adore Rudy Day!!!!! I love to talk about it and savor it and celebrate it!!!! I just don't want it to be about a lot of money and stuff! (That said -- I have PLENTY of stuff!!! AND.... I shopped PLENTY at last year's after-Christmas, 75-90% off sale at Pier One. I save for that sale and plan for it all year!!! Oh - they have that sale on their web site too -- if you don't have a Pier One store near you!)

Festivefun -- the Houseworks Holiday Plan (HHP) looks like MORE work to me -- than the Holiday Grand Plan (HGP) does. Is it? What do you think?

And, I know that I am being silly -- because the Plan's do not MAKE you do more work. They just "lay out the work" for you -- and you do what you can. (Of course, it took me YEARS to get over feeling guilty -- because I didn't do everything on the Plan!)

And -- festivefun -- how are you going to get extra stuff done? I mean -- you have school. You have work. AND -- since you are living with OH and his dd, you are probably going to be doing LOTS more cooking, laundry, child care -- than you did when you lived at your parents home. And -- your university goes up pretty close to Christmas Day doesn't it? Here in the US, I think most colleges finish the semester BEFORE Christmas -- but a lot of them go until pretty close to Christmas Day.