HGP interrupted

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Nursemomofthree - yes, thank you for the update. It gave me a lift to hear of the progress your mom and your dad are making. Remember - even if sometimes it is two steps forward, one step back, that is progress too!!! And it was wonderful that you have been able to tae naps - in spite of the stress you have been under.

How is your stepbrother doing? Does he live near your parents? Does he have any support system for himself? Sometimes a convalescent home (like the rehab place for your dad) will have a good social worker who will meet - even weekly - with the family for free. And sometimes they have family mutual-support groups. The hospitals also have staff who will meet with families for free. (The 'discharge planners" at the hospital often know millions of important facts. They often meet quickly in the hospital room with the patient and family. But the family can schedule a longer meeting, in the Discharge Planner's office, for free. And in bigger hospitals - discharge planners have staggered schedules - so someone is there on weekends (and maybe in the evening).

You are right that we in the MHH family are able to provide support to each other. We share genuine concern, and feel real affection and love for each other. We sometimes share good ideas and good advice. We share laughter and funny stories. (I refer to Cathymac;s hilarious blog this week for a recent example.) I think we also share patience, and a broader perspective than any one of could have alone.

So please do keep giving us updates on your husband, stepbrother, mom and dad (and children) and yourself! :grouphug:

ChristmasCheerleader

Retire Member
Jan 2, 2008
Bless your heart! I will certainly keep your parents and you in my prayers.

EllaBlue

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vancouver, B.C. (Canada)
Nursemomofthree, I am so sorry to hear about the difficult time that your family has been facing. Our thoughts, prayers and positive energy are with you and your family during this time.

nursemomtothree

Retire Member
Aug 18, 2008
Tennessee
Hi everyone, I think I'm discovering that it's harder to be away than it is to be with my parents. I can't see first hand how they're doing. Dad is making progress, saying he walked a little faster and taking bigger steps than yesterday. Mom has had all tubes removed and awaits the day she'll be moved to a nursing home. She still has another surgery to go, but no date has been set yet.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to take care of myself. One disturbing phone call in the morning will leave me pacing all day with nothing accomplished. That's happened twice now - and today is one of them. I want to get out a few fall decorations today. Hopefully that will put me in a better frame of mind. We did have a showing on the house yesterday, but haven't heard any feedback yet.

Someone had asked about my stepbrother. He's mid 30's and never married and lives in the same town with my parents. His boss is very understanding, so he's been able to take care of a lot of things there. He has tons of support and offers for help from friends...he just needs to take them up on it.

Thank you for your continued prayers.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
:grouphug: Keep on smiling! and everything will go for the best!

DawnSu

Premiere Member
Sep 8, 2008
Missouri
Rebecca, I am praying and want you to know that God is watching over your parents, and you and your family.. Have been saying prayers for you and your family, And I pray for a speedy but well recovery with your parents. May God Bless & keep HIS hands on parent, as well as others... Awaiting for another good report..

GOD BLESS, DawnSu
:bigsnow:

nursemomtothree

Retire Member
Aug 18, 2008
Tennessee
I wanted to give another update. Mom had her last surgery 2 days ago and gave us quite a scare as we thought she had a stroke during the surgery. It turned out that she was basically overdosed on all the meds she'd been given. Thankfully, that was quickly resolved, but the anxiety continues on. It truly is two steps forward, one step back. But, they're keeping the faith. There were some complications that are treatable, it's just gonna take time.

My home is looking good because we've had several showings, but no bites yet. I got out my Halloween decorations ( just a few that would be appropriate while selling a house). It's enough to keep me happy when I walk by and see them.

It looks like, due to DH visiting schedule, we will be celebrating our family Thanksgiving ( DH and kids) the weekend of Nov. 7th AND putting up our Christmas tree that day. I can't do it alone, and DH won't be back to our house in Ohio until
Dec. 12. I don't want to wait until then, but having decorations up that early seems like a long time. We will meet in TN for Thanksgiving which is when we usually put up the tree. Having him home only twice a month is really cramping my style !

Off to do more laundry. Thanks for your continued prayers. We are so appreciative.

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
Thank you so much for the update, we are all certainly thinking of you, and keeping you and your family in our prayers...don't worry to much about decorating early, this is just not a normal year for you, and it will be nice to have that to putter around with..keep in touch! :grouphug:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Nursemomtothree - I appreciate you taking the time to keep us updated! What a year for your family!!! Well, Christmas is about love and family - and you are certainly giving your family lots of love! I admire the way you are arranging things to have a "family Thanksgiving at home" -- and another family Thanksgiving at the new home location! Flexibility is a wonderful quality!!!

It seems to me that you are the central figure - you are keeping everyone "grounded" and positive. As long as you are "positive" - everyone else can believe that things will be OK in the long run. Remember that you can come here and vent and exchange ideas. We know how difficult this must be for you. And you are doing a great job!!!

I agree with sparklenana, you are doing a great job, don't forget to take care of you as well. Don't over do it or you will wind up in bed ill. Keep the faith and we'll keep praying!!

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
Rebecca, I second everyone's thoughts of you and your family. You are under a lot of stress. Please remember to make time for yourself. It doesn't have to be much....maybe five minutes of total peace and quiet with a hot drink or something like that. I'm grateful for all the updates, and thankful that progress is being made with your parents. I'll be thinking of your brother, too. He needs to take his friends up on their offers. One person cannot do it alone. Believe me; I KNOW!!

Blessings to you and yours. Prayers are going up for all of you.

Pam :bigsnow:

elli

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2008
edison, nj
My name is Elli, and I'm a newbie, but i send you healing blessings from n.j. I will send out my positive energy to give you strength.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Oh my goodness -- this is the first I'm reading this thread since I'm not on HGP. I just sent my prayers speeding your way! Thank goodness everyone came out of that alive and thank goodness they have you and your brother. Please keep the updates coming (and take deep breaths).

nursemomtothree

Retire Member
Aug 18, 2008
Tennessee
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers, we still need them. This accident actually happened last year. Yes, we made it to the one year anniversary.

As a recap - dad was in the nursing home following the accident until mid Nov. 2008. Mom was there until the first week of January. She even had to have her gallbladder out in December. She wasn't allowed to bear weight on her legs until mid Jan. and she learned to walk again with home health coming to her house. She never had to attend a rehab facility! She walks with a limp and has enough metal in her body that she's never allowed to have an MRI. But they're alive! And I talk to them every day since the accident ( multiple times a day for about 6 months)

They've had lots of struggles, mom still faces more reconstructive surgery on her foot, and the lawsuit is looming over their heads. So we still need prayers.

I'm doing the HHP this year ( not that I'm accomplishing anything more by changing plans). Thanks for checking out this thread and for checking in on us.