HHP -Week 4 –Children’s Rooms/Bonus Room

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
This Week's Household Checklist
• Declutter, clean and organize children's rooms.
• No kids? Tackle any bonus room or area this week, finish up one of the rooms/preps you may not have been able to complete over the past 3 weeks--or take the week off!

This Week's Holiday Prep Checklist
• Schedule any pre-holiday home improvements.
• Declutter children's toys.
• Start buying stocking stuffers.
• Decide on Halloween costumes.
• Design your family Advent celebrations.
• Start working on Christmas cards or letters.
• Add birthdays and anniversaries to your annual calendar.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Hanging things

This is a good one for me since DD is in the hospital for a little stay for a day or two more. I have some shadow boxes and pictures that need to be hung. Have been putting this off since we painted her room a year or so ago.

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
Deidre- sorry to hear Vanessa is in the hospital.
This week for me will be:
[ ] organize toy closet
[ ] clean under bed (I store boxes there for Christmas when I get them).
[ ] wash curtains
[ ] clean window

[ ] schedule new flooring in living room, dining room, and kitchen
[ ] start working on Christmas Cards

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Deidra~sorry to hear Vanessa is in the hospital!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
We moved in June and did a HUGE decluttering of the kids' stuff, so will focus on actual cleaning of their rooms rather than going through their belongings.

Household Prep:
deep vacuum bedrooms
touch up paint
clean blinds
clean windows & sills

Holiday Prep:
start Christmas cards

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Ds's room is not too bad. He is pretty good about clearing clutter when he no longer wants/ needs stuff. His room is also regularly deep cleaned (Thanks to House Angel- my cleaner)
We do need to go through his wardrobe and sort out some clothes. Some will go (grown out of them), some will be moved from good stuff to play clothes- since we got the puppy he seems to be wearing more play clothes. The Summer school uniforms need to come out of storage as when he goes back to school they change from Winter to Summer. I will try to find someone to give his winter uniforms to as by next year, he will have grown out of them and will need new sets. Winter uniforms for his school are very expensive and I would rather give them away than see them thrown away. They are in excellent condition.
Stocking Stuffers- done. (I could pick up a few more for me but that will be items like shower gel, lip gloss etc.. but not vitally important and easy to get when I do my regular shopping)
Hpme improvements- have booked professional carpet cleaning and window washing for late Nov so all good there.
Advent: we do out own form of Elf on the Shelf- with lots of small Elf Gifts. (done). DS also has a chocolate Advent calandar but too early to purchase this year- it is on a list to buy.
Cards- need to purchase new ones- still too early here but am watching the stores.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
We just did a big clean up of the rooms before school started. We are maintaining them now.

I'm slowly working through the toys and games. We have a neighborhood yard sale at the beginning of October. I want to put out as much as I can then.

Make stocking stuffer list and begin purchases
Figure out Halloween costumes
Work on addressing Christmas cards

Deidre - Hope all goes well with your DD.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Stocking Stuffers- done. (I could pick up a few more for me but that will be items like shower gel, lip gloss etc.. but not vitally important and easy to get when I do my regular shopping).....

(Jaw on floor) R-O-C-K-S-T-A-R!! You are GOOD!!

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
This week's link for anyone new to the plan that would like to read along:
http://christmas.organizedhome.com/house-holidays-plan/04-close-to-home-week

This Week's Household Checklist
• Declutter, clean & organize children's rooms. - Kids started yesterday.
• Bonus room /Play area this week - Needs some decluttering.

Kids rooms aren't too bad and they will be helping so I'm upping my list (might be a bit optimistic and not terribly realistic.)

This Week's Holiday Prep Checklist
• Schedule any pre-holiday home improvements.
• Declutter children's toys.
• Decide on Halloween costumes. - One down, one to go.
• Start working on Christmas cards or letters.
• Add birthdays and anniversaries to your annual calendar.

Cindylouwho's Add-Ons:
Goodwill Dropoff of all the clutter from Master & Kids Bedrooms (the pile has taken over the mudroom)
Fall Decor boxes back into attic.
Purchase hooks for artwork that's propped against walls ready to be hung.
Make decisions on winding down the garden for winter. Which shrubs to plant so they can be established by Spring?
Wrap up computer updates & online photo stuff (including upgrade to iOS8)

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
(Jaw on floor) R-O-C-K-S-T-A-R!! You are GOOD!!

Thanks Cindylou but I only have DS and myself to do stockings for(although we use a Santa Sack). It not that big a feat when there are only 2 to do. I try to shop all year. Although the way that I keep picking up dog toy's, it looks like Merlin (the puppy) will end up with a stocking this year as well.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I'm a little behind. I really need to stay home sometimes - lol. Thank goodness for this week as I don't have kids. :) I can use this week to finish my bedroom. I can't decide if I want to paint the wall my bed sits against an accent color or use panels. I really want color but because I live in an apartment, if I ever decide to move (which I won't. Been there 15+ years) I will have to paint it back to white and I'm too lazy to do that.

Once I do that then my room will be done.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Forgot to post my holiday prep list:

• The only home improvements I need to do is shampoo the carpet in the 2nd bedroom and spot clean the living/diningrooms. I also need to call the rental office and have them repair or replace the threshhold going into the bathroom. It's marble and I guess I stepped on it too hard with the heal of my shoe and now what was a small crack has become a huge gap.

• Decide on Halloween costume. None for me but I will be planning for my Autumn dinner party

• Start working on Christmas cards or letters. Christmas cards are bought

• Add birthdays and anniversaries to your annual calendar. Done

nursemomtothree

Retire Member
Aug 18, 2008
Tennessee
Everyone is doing great!

We went through the kids closets before school started, so that is done. DS rearranged and vacuumed his bedroom on Sunday because he wanted to move his drum set there (from the bonus room). I just need to vacuum the two girls' rooms. I'm really itching to deep clean the family room so that I can put up the fall decorations. Tomorrow, I have no where to go, so I hope to get a lot accomplished.

I must admit, my regular routines are slacking....need to force myself to do them.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I've been out of the loop as planned for the past two weeks. My daughter cleaned her room good before she left for school, so I don't need to do that. I'll be working on catch up from the past two weeks.

My bedroom isn't that bad as far as clutter, but I did go through the totes under my bed and tossed some things I don't use anymore. I keep all my personal stuff under there, like hair coloring supplies and waxing supplies, as well as nail and foot care products.

Now I'll move on to a deep clean. It's been awhile, so it really needs it. Even my blinds need to be cleaned and things like the ceiling fan and mirrors.

I'll check back in with my Christmas Prep list.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Groan! This week is getting SO thrown off. DH has been home sick for 2 days. Lost a whole day taking him to the doctor and another dealing with things that were supposed to be on his agenda. He'll be okay in a day or two but I swear, he is a worse patient than the kids. Takes his temperature every 5 minutes!

It was pouring rain and I couldn't pull myself to load up the car with the Goodwill stuff. I tried. But ultimately i was running late went into town with an empty car. Shame on me.

Tomorrow I have to FOCUS!! SERIOUSLY!! (At least I got some of the errands run, and picked up another gift card at the grocery store. Small victories.).

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I was finally able to get some work done this morning.

I deep vacuumed, wiped down walls & doors, cleaned blinds, windows, window sills & did some touch up paint in the kids's rooms.

They look great!!

Now, I can focus on Christmas cards.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
You are all doing great this week. Thank God it was a week that didn't apply to me since we are empty nesters. With driving over 20 hours in the past 4 days I am totally exhausted. Things should return to normal now but first I've got to get some sleep. Maybe tomorrow I'll try to get some stocking stuffers purchased.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Feeling much better about my progress after yesterday and this morning. The pile of outgoing "clutter" from the bedrooms is getting seriously large in my mudroom. Can barely get through the door. I'm going to have to take DH's truck to get it all out of here. The perfectionist voice me is nagging at me to donate specific items to specific causes and sell other things on Craigslist to make a little Christmas money. This is the voice that causes real log-jams when it is time to get stuff out the door.

Fall decor is going up in the next hour so those boxes can be put away. Meanwhile, the bedrooms are starting to take on the Zen feel. Might have to go light that Pumpkin Pecan Waffle Yankee candle we just bought at the mall last weekend so the place is smelling yummy when the kids get home. Lordy, you could smell the candle all the way down at the mall's center court and it just sucked us right in! (Bonus: 2 for 1 that day!! Awesome!!)

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only who gets thrown off schedule every now and then. It was busy earlier in the week with family birthdays. I'm nowhere near where I'd like to be. I did get the summer clothes switched out for my youngest daughter. This weekend I hope to focus on the list.

Keep on striving!