How many are from the old OC?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Sloanmama, we would love you to join in on chit-chat, if you would like to. I started posting in there about a year ago, and I admit, I had to get a notebook and make notes for a while about peoples' names, where they were from, what their jobs were, who their kids were. It took me a awhile. The more I visited and posted the more I learned everyone's personality and style to the point I can almost tell whose post it is without even looking at the name. I felt awkward at first because I couldn't contribute much more than what I was doing...now I'm sure they wish I would shut up sometimes! lol Even if you want to just pop in and say, "hi! or I had a lousy day or this man of mine is driving me crazy!" we would love to "see" you!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Morning

Great post Gingerbug

Wow, great idea missjane ... a notebook!

However, for me ... I'm a pop in with some small comment kind of gal! Works for me. I enjoy reading over the posts though to feel "I'm not alone ... everyone has good and bad days". I love seeing the heart-felt encouragement. It's sweet.

For The Notebook, missjane .... I'm "Juli" DH, DD19 and DS8 in Florida! LOL

Hugs!!
:fireplace:

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
LOVE Gingerbug's post! I love the suggestion of starting your own chit chat. That is true- there may be a niche of people that can bond together. Like Gingerbug said, "Through Grandma's Eye's." Very nice.

There used to be a thread- Young At Heart. It was for empty nesters, or for older MHHers. It didn't seem like it got that much activity.

I also do think facebook has really put a dent in forum activity. I know MHH has lost some members to it.

Annie

Last edited:

mummytummy

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Perth WA
I was an OCer, become more of a lurker now, i don't go as "mad" as i did back then for the holidays for lots of reasons really, work/family commitments, finances to name but a few, i loved the swaps but don't do those so much now either due to the high cost to post overseas, sometimes the postage was twice as much as the gifts in the box

Hopefully my "mojo" for the holidays will return (i do hope so)

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I didn't mean it had to be a grandmothers group or like empty nesters.....LOL....that was just an example that other groups could form...LOL

:tree:

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
May I make a suggestion as a way maybe not to feel to shy about jumping on in to the chit chat thread. If you've been reading the threads for awhile you might know some of the major things going on in folks life. Say me for ex...My house burn Oct 8th we're living with my DD while waiting on our new home to get ready..I'd love to hear from others who've had ANY experience with being displaced for a bit or have known someone in this situation..

I guess what I'm trying to say is look for something you've experienced or know something about & use it for a jumping in point if that helps you feel more comfortable. And KNOW that NONE of us became familar with the others over night. But we love to hear from you.

I LOVE the idea of other chit chat type threads too..

Jane if I know I have time & feel up to it & usually have a notepad up & take notes before I post LOL

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I'm from the old OC forum. I was so happy to hear that this place would be here when the OC forum closed.

I've found that as my children get older, they have more activities and homework which means less time for me to get online. It's been an adjustment for me. I do like coming here when possible for encouragement and support.

Mary

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
I guess I'll add my 2 cents about the chit chat threads, also. To me, they are a little overwhelming...but not because I'm shy or I think the group won't welcome or respond to me. Whenever I have read or posted in them, I think everyone was nice and friendly. It is just a time thing. I was spending an hour each day reading, responding to others and writing my own message for just the chit chat thread when I was new here. There just aren't enough spare hours in my day...so I try to participate in the board in other ways. I became a member here to celebrate Christmas all year round. So, I love the on-topic Christmas threads the most and then the links, ideas and craft related threads....but I also enjoy the what's for dinner threads. I think there is plenty of room on the board for other types of chit chat threads in addition to the daily thread. Maybe we can have more of a tweet/text/status update version; like tell us about your day in less than 180 characters. LOL.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
LOL...candysprinkles.....thats what I find too....I just can't keep up.

I'm trying to be on the baords more and start more Christmas threads....because I haven't been near as active as in the past but as someone pointed out...life ebbs and flows and there are just so many hours in a day.

There's plenty here for everyone ....thats what makes it such a great community.!

:snowman:

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I guess what I'm trying to say is look for something you've experienced or know something about & use it for a jumping in point if that helps you feel more comfortable. And KNOW that NONE of us became familar with the others over night. But we love to hear from you.

I LOVE the idea of other chit chat type threads too..

Nice idea. So, my question is ... other chit chat threads would be posted .... where? Friends & Family: Life's Magic > Chit Chat ???

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I'm here from the old OC forms. I've found there have been times when I couldn't log in, and then I'd get out of the habit, and it would take me a while to get back to it.
Plus I have a little one now who consumes most of my waking hours, lol.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I joined OC in the mid 2000's. I love coming here but home life tends to take me away a lot. Although I'm not on here everyday as I used to be, Christmas is always on my mind and when I have a free moment, I try to do something Christmasy.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I'm a veteran of OC, too! I loved that site, but I'd get a little overwhelmed by the sheer volume of posts in Oct/Nov/Dec.

I've been here since the summer of 2008, but just started reading/posting in the Chit Chat threads this year. After being on the boards for a while, I felt that I just wanted to get to know some of the members better. I admit, I lurked for a while before venturing out with my first "chat" post. Now...I'm addicted! I also started with a cheat sheet of screen names/real names. Now I keep a small pad next to my chair in the mornings so that I can remember things I want to comment on after reading the whole thread. I don't get back to check in as often as some, but I really enjoy the sharing and caring on that thread. I don't expect people to comment back on all of my posts, but I know when something big comes up (like today, for me) I know my MHH friends have my back and it just makes it all seem a little bit easier. I often felt a negative current underlying some posts/reponses on OC...the moderators did their best to keep it in check, but it was not enjoyable when it happened. I have NEVER felt that way here.

One more suggestion...there is a HUGE discrepancy in how many times most of the posts are viewed and how many responses are made...and it's not all accounted for by "guests"...PLEASE post your thoughts. When someone shares a link - tell them what you liked about it...how you might incorprate that idea, etc. And don't be shy! This is an extremely welcoming bunch and we all love to hear new ideas!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Nice!

... but I'd get a little overwhelmed by the sheer volume of posts in Oct/Nov/Dec.

I also started with a cheat sheet of screen names/real names. Now I keep a small pad next to my chair in the mornings so that I can remember things I want to comment on after reading the whole thread.

...when something big comes up (like today, for me) I know my MHH friends have my back and it just makes it all seem a little bit easier.

One more suggestion...there is a HUGE discrepancy in how many times most of the posts are viewed and how many responses are made...and it's not all accounted for by "guests"...PLEASE post your thoughts. When someone shares a link - tell them what you liked about it...how you might incorprate that idea, etc. And don't be shy! This is an extremely welcoming bunch and we all love to hear new ideas!

1. It is busy, isn't it!! LOL
2. How sweet. I'm not that organized!
3. That's a comfort.
4. Great suggestion.

Last edited:

kakelady

Retire Member
Jul 21, 2008
Nor Cal
I started OC in 2001.. Have issues remember stuff so I had to Change screen names at least once.. Used to be Snowbuddy.. For those who keep notes :) I used to post a bit more than I do now.. Of course I am sure the counter on this thing is off. I have shared this site with a few people but they are not as thrilled with it as I am.. It is a bit hard to figure out where to go for what your interested in? A bit overwhelming I would venture to say. So, now I kind of look around and hope I post in the right place and don't offend any one if I do. That is mainly why I don't Two years ago I had a Thread I tried to start removed becasue I posted it in the wrong spot. So now, I am kind of intimidated to even comment. So I just browse. Doesn't make me love it an less.

I do agree that social sites and even blogs are making it easier to find ideas else where. But I do like the feeling of family and friendliness here. Plus, if we find that stuff out there.. this is the place to share that stuff. Plus, my family and friends are not nearly as crazy about the holidays as I am :) SO who else can I share that with?

Kakelady

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
kakelady I'm sorry you felt intimidated by having a post removed...I certainly don't remember the situation....usually I don't remove them perhaps just "move" them to the right forum......not because you did something wrong but so people can easily find the topic and your ideas!! :) :)

So just jump right in....we are hardly sticklers for the "correct area" ....in fact we have so much stuff now...sometimes I'm not even sure where to post something!!

:gingerbread:

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Me! I think. I came into all this some time before the OC threads split off. I think I started my Christmas organization in 2004 maybe? Then it split into different groups. I remember it was getting too much for CEO to handle. :)

I come on here in the Fall and Winter to get ready for the Holidays and I love seeing the familiar names. I check in occasionally throughout the year but I usually spend much of those seasons focused on outdoor activities. I have a Facebook account but rarely post. All my posting goes here.

As to the whole Chit Chat discussion and willingness to jump into threads, I'd say I personally shy away from threads where there is not a clear topic. If its just a date and some people checking in on everyday goings-on then I won't always jump in there. I just gravitate toward topics I guess. I was once part of a popular fitness forum that completely fell apart when the Chit Chat threads became more date-based instead of topic based. It became a thing where people would post all their topics on "everything" under that day's date. Then after all that typing the "experienced veterans" were less inclined to post on other topics. Anyhow, that forum crashed and burned but that's not to say that would happen here - though I can understand the sensitivity to this based on my previous experience. For me personally, I think there is a nice balance here and I feel comfortable enough to elbow my way into any forum and start jabbering. But I do like topics. :)

Regarding "logging-in" -- I often will not do that unless I'm at my computer with a solid keyboard where I can type my replies easily and quickly. Primarily this is for logistical reasons. I "read" the forums much more often on my tablet and phone - but I don't log in because: 1. its not the easiest to type on digital keyboards, and 2.) I'm trying to fool the website software. Once I log in and have been on the site for the designated time, the the website considers me to have read all the posts since I was last here. If it so happens that it automatically logs me out because I take to long to type LONG-WINDED posts like this one, then that "New Posts" link updates. And I use that "New Posts" link a LOT to keep track of this site. It lists everything that happened since I last logged on in one nice convenient place. Then all the new posts I meant to get to are no longer on the list and I have to go digging for them in their individual forums. In fact, I'm sure I've been logged out after all this typing! :)

So that's me. And I really love it here.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I started in here by linking through OC - but I don't think I ever posted or joined OC itself. I think I joined in 2006 (when I was a student for a year again and spent a lot of that surfing the college computers!! - much of it necessary but some, like this, for fun!) and as I had been a member of a parenting forum already, and I am cheeky, I just jumped right in!

Gidget

Premiere Member
Nov 24, 2007
Boston
Greetings all,

I was an original member of the OC boards. I loved the old forums; especially enjoyed the posts by someone named Joyeux Noel - she used to post lovely and vivid descriptions of her holiday gathering.

Does anyone know if there is a way to access the old boards, or did anyone save any of the posts from there?

I do so enjoy the "new" board, it is just that sometimes I try to rack my brain for something I read on the old boards ... if only I had saved my favourites ...

Gidget-

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I had found the OC about the time it was leaving. I know with me at times---especially this year seems so much else happening. I love MHH and feel a real bond with all here.