Ideas/Preparation For Christmas 2010

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
Thank you Sparklenana, what a great thread! This will definitely keep me on track for 2010!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Hi Guys! It certainly is reassuring that we will be working together throughout 2010! Yay Us!!!

More brainstorming: One problem (for me) is UNDER-ESTIMATING how long something will take. So far this year - I have been lucky. I wanted to have "everything" finished by Thanksgiving. I wanted this -- because, in many years past..... real life has happened during December...... causing stress, exhaustion, and lots of things just not getting done. (Real life as in -- people getting sick; one year... a fire - nobody hurt but it took weeks to get the house repaired; etc. etc.)

I did OK on the house-decluttering & cleaning.... but did NOT do OK on the Christmas prep stuff. Anyway -- I wanted to have everything done in advance.... so when real life happened, I would be OK. Miraculously -- so far -- "real life events" have NOT happened this December. And I have needed the extra time to get Christmassy things done.

A much much more detailed breakdown of the things I want/need to get done --- that would be very helpful.

And then -- looking at the breakdown -- and figuring out WHEN (during the year) things could be done.

One really big problem is: how to get "Christmas Inspiration" during the horribly hot, humid summer months! It is a great time to get Christmas things done! But - I have had no inspiration. That is something I am really going to research. Maybe the secret is hidden somewhere on the web!

I am also thinking about doing more "learning" about Christmas. The book we have been reading together has given me deeper appreciation and enjoyment of Christmas. ("25 Days, 26 Ways To Make This Your Best Christmas Ever") And I think that the author, Ace Collins, has written other books on Christmas. That is something I am going to look into.

Well - we are off to a "Christmas Dessert & Wine Party". talk to you later!

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
Yesterday I realized I had forgotton my once treasured Rudy day tote! A very helpful part of my past Rudy Day celebrations! So I dug out an empty tote and filled it with the jars I meant to alter to put Riendeer munchie mix in and other various projects that didn't get finished(or even started) this year! I'm hoping to include a list that I add to as things come to me that I could've done for this year. That should help with debriefing later on!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Jackfrosty -- A Big Light came on when I read your post!!!! WHY NOT put our PROJECTS into our Rudy Day totes????

I have kept hot chocolate, Christmas books & magazines. my Christmas Notebook ibn my Rudy Day Tote........ but how about putting things to WOrk ON in there? Like........ Christmas gifts to wrap? Like...... Christmas cards to address? Like..... small gifts to make? All kinds of things can go in there!!!

Too much stuff? No.... our Christmas Tote does not have a specific size! It could be a clear plastic tub with a cover. Last year, I read a great idea for expanding storage space. You pull the headboard-part of your bed out away from the wall --- a foot or two out. It doesn't look strange from the hall -- or from inside the room. And there is your new storage space -- behind the bed. You can put in more than one plastic tub with a cover. If your husband doesn't like it --- you will have to think of another place to put the tub(s).

Dreamer

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Lawton, Oklahoma
Oh I love the idea of putting our projects for Rudy day into a Rudy day tote! I wonder if Wal-mart will have the big green and red plastic buckets with lids on sale after Christmas this year again...will have to keep my eye open for them.

Mine could sit next to my recliner with my crochet basket on top, it would even make reaching into the basket easier.

Thanks for the idea!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Dreamer -- I think that our MHH Family is going to have an absolutely wonderful 2010 together! We ALL will have to work on living frugally. And on finding the true importance of things! We always share strength and love her at our Magical Holiday Home -- and we will continue to do that in 2010! Somehow -- Christmas is deep in our hearts -- and - together - we are able to bring some of the wonderful love and magic to earth, every day.

So -- OF COURSE I am looking forward to 2010 here at MHH! It is fun and touching and energy-giving and wonderful!

And working together, all year, on Christmas 2010 together -- will be delightfully cool!

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
Dreamer -- I think that our MHH Family is going to have an absolutely wonderful 2010 together! We ALL will have to work on living frugally. And on finding the true importance of things! We always share strength and love her at our Magical Holiday Home -- and we will continue to do that in 2010! Somehow -- Christmas is deep in our hearts -- and - together - we are able to bring some of the wonderful love and magic to earth, every day.

So -- OF COURSE I am looking forward to 2010 here at MHH! It is fun and touching and energy-giving and wonderful!

And working together, all year, on Christmas 2010 together -- will be delightfully cool!

AGREED!! As far behind as I feel I am this year...I can't wait to start for next year!

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
SparkleNana, I love that you mentioned underestimating how long something will take! That has been the bane of my Christmas prep for years (and still is). Next year I should try adding in extra time for everything. I'm working on that in other areas of my life too. Glad to know I'm not alone!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
So much wisdom and inspiration on this board and this thread in particular! I am loving this and making some plans already for next year. Of course, this year has been a challenge so that makes it easier to plan to do better next year.

On the Rudolph Day tote issue...I used an old picnic basket for mine, so that it could sit out all the time and not look...well, odd. It would just look like a nice vintage lidded basket..but when opened, it would contain my notebook, a Christmas mug and cd, and whatever project I'm currently working on. That was the plan...the basket is sitting...in the bottom of my closet, covered with clothes and Lord only knows what else. So once this holiday is over, I"m dragging it back out and putting it to good use. Thanks for reminding me. I don't know how this one slipped by me.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Another "oh yes" for underestimating - I thought I'd have made enough to give everyone on my list sox but I only finished three pair. Better start working earlier! Maybe mittens this year:)

tanjat67

Retire Member
Jan 11, 2009
South Australia, Australia
After christmas I am hoping to pick up some bargain of christmas paper, etc for next year. Also I am trying to plan on what treats I will be making as I make my own chocolates and what I need to order. I tend to order about 10kg of chocolate to make christmas gifts,

Here is Australia it tends to get quite hot here around christmas day, so I am thinking of having finger food and some christmas treats for when my nieces and nephew comes down. Also I am going to start making my own christmas cards early and write the christmas cards out around about November and make sure I post my cards to family in england early like the beginning of December.

Tanja

Dreamer

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Lawton, Oklahoma
Ok I asked my nieces to start thinking about what they want for X-mas 2010 that way if they want a handmade gift I can start on it in January and give myself a 3 month deadline for each gift so I'm done in time. I'm hoping they will give me an answer on Christmas when I see them again.

I want to work on knitted dishcloths each Rudy day for my MIL's present next year, course I have I to reteach myself how to knit lol. I have the book so shouldn't be to hard.

I also found an afghan pattern to make for myself that has trees and reindeer on it, I plan on working on it on Rudy days as well as the rest of the months til I get it done.

Hmmm I will be busy!

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
Thanks a lot for your postings and ideas about doing christmas stuff the whole year round! This is really motivating and inspiring!!! I know I have a lot to improve in my planning

So I will also join the Rudy Days beginning of next year!!!! I already started to think about it and here are some first ideas. What do you think - is it a realistic plan?

Date To Do
25.01.2009 sum up past Christmas: what was fine, what do I want to change; stuff
that needs to be replaced

25.02.2009 no Rudy Day planned so far as this is 3 days before planned due date...
25.03.2009 Rudy Day - maybe; depends how it is going with my baby; if yes I will start my Internet research for Gifts and Decoration

25.04.2009 Internet research for gifts/self made gifts - gifts planning and writing shopping lists

25.05.2009 Start crafting for gifts
25.06.2009 Decoration planning and with necessary crafts; write shopping lists
25.07.2009 Christmas Cards - who gets one? Which design
25.08.2009 Continue with Crafts
25.09.2009 Continue with Crafts
25.10.2009 discuss with my family how/where to celebrate
25.11.2009 menu planning according to the results of 25.10 & Decoration
25.12.2009 CHRISTMAS 2010

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Wow! You gals are really thinking this out! I'll follow my usual plan with most of my gift making happening during the summer months. I plan to shop throughout the year again as well. It's just easier.

I'm not planning much in way of decor because we'll be in the new house and it will be a whole new adventure!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Chilli - how wonderful that you will be joining in on the Rudy Days! And how wonderful to have a new baby for all the Christmas fun in 2010!

I love your idea of doing internet research for gifts to make for 2010.

Do you think that you will do things very differently in 2010 from the way you have done them this year?

I admire you for making the 12-month plan! I will try to work on that 12-month plan today.

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
As I think back, I'm not sure I participated in any Rudolph Day activities! I do knit with a group at church every week, so I managed to stay on top of that, but as for music, hot chocolate, socks, etc., I never remembered! I did, however, make it in under the wire. I have things I wish I'd done, but I'm fairly well-pleased with what I accomplished. I hope to get my Rudy Days more organized in 2010.

Dreamer

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Lawton, Oklahoma
A quick update...

I now have 6 afghans to make instead of 3 this next year so will have to do 1 every 2 months to finish by December 1st.

I also have to find something to do for MIL and I have no idea at all what to make her. I'm thinking maybe a few dishcloths and hotpads/hotpolders.

I'll start Jan 4th with the first afghan and then on Rudy day I'll research cards to make and start planning that out on Jan's Rudy Day.

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
I will be looking for ideas to keep me busy on Rudolph Days next year. I have very little to buy for now...only my daughter who this year, is a freshman in college, my mom and the man in my life. I don't see having a lot of handmade gifts to make...I do make my own cards and ALWAYS say I'm going to leave my "stuff" out and start right after the holidays, but never do. I'm hoping this year will be different! I recently moved, so I've already purged lots of decorations. Oh I just had a thought...I could make packs of notecards and give them as gifts to some of my friends back home and to new friends I make here.

Anyway...I'll be looking with great interest at what you all will be doing on Rudy Days in 2010...

DebbiGall

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
I just finished my 6th afghan since May. Not counting the 2 Christmas tree skirts and 14 baby caps I made for the pregnancy center here in town.
I think I will get out the old steamer trunk I have in storage and redo it to use as a coffee table / Rudy day tote. and keep my holiday planners and projects in it. I have a large craft room where I make my gifts and other stuff.
I followed the Christmas Count down this year and I LOVE IT! I try to follow the fly Lady plan all the time; even when I fall behind it only takes a couple of weeks to get back on top.
Last years Rudy days I made 5 Christmas cards a month so I had 50 done in time for Christmas; and the countdown had them ready to go on the first of December.