It's Beginning to Look a lot like Christmas (in July)

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas in July...lol

I am curious....what have been some of your favorite Christmas in July activities....either in your life or things here on the boards? Please share!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
What a FUN topic for a thread, Gingerbug!

Hhhhmmmmm..... HOW have I celebrated Christmas in July.... in yers past??????

AT FIRST.... I looked at Christmas In July..... as a time to get a lot of work done (preparing for Christmas in December!) This..... was a HUGE failure! It was TOO HOT and HUMID!!! I felt GUILTY!!!! Horrible and guilty!

Then..... I transitioned to...., pure enjoyment of Christmas in July! I used this time.... to make myself FEEL BETTER!!!! Because.... I felt AWFUL..... because it was so miserably hot and humid. So I read Christmas things and thought about Christmas.... and celebrated the fact that there were people LIKE ME.... who loved Christmas and throuht about it all year!

THIS YEAR.... is different. Because our family will be TOGETHER in JULY..... and will NOT be together in December.... I am going to attempt a celebration of Christmas in July! I think that my 10-year-old-dgd and my 9-year-old-dgs...... will love this idea! I am hoping that the rest of the family will tolerate it!

All year... I HAVE been working on decluttering and organizing. (Thanks to Gingerbug's new "2011 Decluttering Club" here at our MHH!) This work will definitely help me with the celebration in July. ("Clutter" doesn't really help us with ANYTHING!")

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Last year was my first CiJ. I had ideas but didn't do much around the house for it. I enjoyed watcing lots of movies on TV. There are so many in Dec. I miss a lot of them. There are less to choose from in the summer so it's nice to see them. I hope to get some planning done but am not going to set goals for gifts or any thing like that. There are so many things that can change b/n now and Dec.

Dreamer

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Lawton, Oklahoma
In the past I have used CiJ as a jumping point to get ready for Christmas, printing things out, starting Christmas gifts, and trying to recipes. CiJ always puts me in a better mood as I get to think of Christmas, cooler weather, and with it the memories I have from growing up with my family

A few years I managed to get the ex to agree to doing an actual CiJ with the dinner, little tree and little presents for DS but ex hated it and called a stop to it :(

This year, I get to celebrate it with my Dsis and her boys. Like me she LOVES Christmas so I think it will be a great CiJ. I also want to talk to her about maybe starting the Christmas Elves for the boys, I never got to with DS and think my nephews would love it.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Christmas in July/Christmas Elves

I'm new to Christmas in July - this will be my first year - and I'm really not sure what I'm going to do yet. What are Christmas Elves?

thechristmasnut

Retire Member
Jun 30, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
I usually always use CIJ for December prep. I love having a reason to put out a lil tree and watching movies and listening to Christmas music. This year I will be using CIJ for more of a fun celebration instead of so much work.... :)

carol1231

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
W-S, NC
We will be out of town for most of July, so I won't be doing any decorating. I do have some Christmas crafts that I would like to start. And I will definitely pull out my Christmas Gooseberry Patch books.

Dreamer

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Lawton, Oklahoma
I'm new to Christmas in July - this will be my first year - and I'm really not sure what I'm going to do yet. What are Christmas Elves?

Pamela, sorry it should have been Magic Elfs. I need to read up on it again and see how best we could do it with the boys, there is "forum" for it here on MHH.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
CIJ is a combination of a starting my Holiday prep (Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas) and a mini Christmas celebration (watching QVC, christmas movies and a nice holiday festive dinner). This is also when I start checking out the craft stores to what goodies they have out and to see what new crafts to I can get for the kids to do.

The Magical Elves will make a week long appearance bringing little goodies for the kids.

Last year they did not come (They got mixed into a different box could not find them in time) and the kids noticed and asked about them. Santa has sent them a letter stating that he has been very busy with upgrades and needed all the elves to help.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
CIJ - putting up some Christmas posts on my blog, going through my Christmas notebook, checking up on my christmas closet. Start planning my fall calendar (writing in dates that are busy and then scheduling some Christmas stuff in there - freezer list food to start, cleaning that has to be done, scheduling haircuts, etc...). Watching Christmas movies & having hot chocolate. :)

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
The years that I have done Christmas in July... I get lots of my homemade gifts started and homemade decorations started (if not finished). I like to use the time to get my ICal all set up to do the Holiday Grand Plan (I am a huge list maker).

This year I am going to play, play, play. I already have all of my Christmas gift made so I can used Christmas in July to make craft projects with Kiddo and stocking stuffers. My family LOVES stocking stuffers (almost more then the gifts under the tree).

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Pamela- the magic elves started w/ the Elf on the shelf idea. Of the elve watching over us to report back to Santa. We all have our versions and what they do. Mine show up the day after Thanksgiving and get into lots of trouble when they are here. Santa sent them to us to watch b/c they are on winter break from Elf school the their parents are busy prepping for Santas big trip. Like Summer camp. They tend to make a mess and sometimes bring treats. They don't usually hang out in CiJ for me but will this time. But either for one week or for a day or two a week to last through the month.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Hi everyone. For CIJ I used to start preparing like many of you as well as use the month to work on crafts. It's also my birthday month and I usually go away for about a week.

This year, my plans are to still celebrate my birthday for a week. But for the rest of the month I am going to pull out my old VHS tapes and watch all the holiday decorating shows I taped from HGTV. Also I will be watching some holiday movies and maybe try a few dessert recipes. I will have my trusty little notebook to make notes when ideas come to me so that I don't forget.

Oh, and after three years of furloughs, we finally catch a break. We get our days back that we gave up for the next three years and a one time bonus (Should receive in July - Yipeee). My plans are to use that extra money to do some gift shopping online while chilling in the house with the AC.

Last summer was the hottest I can remember and it feels like this summer will be a repeat. Watching movies will help take my mind of the hot weather.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
My favorite has not been completed yet. It's the CIJ ornament swap. I really enjoyed this activity and I haven't even received the ornaments yet. July is so far off.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I really enjoy the activities here for CIJ. I like the ornament swap that we have had for 3 years now. Can't wait to see this years. I use this month to really plan out my craft gifts and then I have a week vacation so I usually get some crafting done.

alisonmcg

Retire Member
May 2, 2008
I love CiJ! It's like everything moves up a gear :) I plan on watching QVC and I'm hoping ,like last year, there will be Christmas movies on every weekend in July!

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Great thread! I usually go through my gift closet (which is actually a rubbermaid tub in the basement), and start making my lists in preparation for the HGP kickoff in August. I listen to lots of Christmas music and try to watch several Christmas movies throughout the month. DSIL and I also shop for stocking stuffers while we're on vacation together.

I also send out 6 CiJ boxes...including all of the forms for the HGP, a beachy type of ornament, usually a Christmas CD (Beach Boys, Kenny Chesney, Reggae, Jimmy Buffett), and a mix of fun Christmas &/or fourth of july goodies...small trinkets, candy, etc. Sometimes I include Christmas cookies, but I didnt have time to bake any this year! :(

My favorite Christmas in July was almost 10 years ago...before I ever found this site! DH's best friend from college invited us to join his large family (8 kids, plus spouses, kids, etc.) at their beach house on Cape Cod. His mom had spent the winter making ornaments out of shells, etc. and they put up a full size tree in the livingroom, wreaths on the door, etc. They played Christmas music, cranked the AC inside, had a homemade pinata outside for the kids (of a snowman) and a full turkey dinner with all of the trimmings. We played the secret santa game where everyone brings a wrapped present and ended the night singing Christmas carols - it was SO much fun!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Colleen I would've loved that!! but in dh's family... NOBODY even cares for the real Christmas (at least not much), so no way 1 in summer. In my family ... well there'd be just me & mom I guess

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Colleen-sounds like a wonderful CiJ

I had a CiJ treat (I did post about this on the chit chat thread) that I went to take some baseballs my neighbor was going to throw out and found a paper bag full of christmas lights they were going to toss. And all but one works! Maybe I can find a craft to make w/ them. I know my craft store sells the glass blocks maybe I can make something w/ them.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I am the only CIJ person in my family. They get it even if they do not want it. lol