It's Beginning to Look a lot like Christmas (in July)

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Colleen - I love that description of the CIJ you had a decade ago. What fun and what memories. You continue the tradition by sending along your CIJ boxes. That is just great!

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Last year I did a thread here in CIJ called a tip a day and people sent me their tips to post. I learned so much from all of you - some of which I used last years and other tips to try this year. I had fun learning from everyone.

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
Colleen-sounds like a wonderful CiJ

I had a CiJ treat (I did post about this on the chit chat thread) that I went to take some baseballs my neighbor was going to throw out and found a paper bag full of christmas lights they were going to toss. And all but one works! Maybe I can find a craft to make w/ them. I know my craft store sells the glass blocks maybe I can make something w/ them.

An idea for your Christmas Lights...you can make rag swag garlands. These are sometimes sold at craft fairs. It is basically like a rag wreath, but you tie the fabric strips or ribbons in a knot right onto the string of lights. Here's a link to a patriotic theme swag on etsy.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/20411702/patriotic-rag-swag-garland-9-feet-long

This one has a better picture of the whole swag.

http://emilienichole.wordpress.com/2008/07/11/rag-swag/

Last edited:

happyalice

MHH Member
Oct 16, 2007
For the last several years we've hosted a CIJ dinner party for family. DH's parents are elderly and I'm not sure they quite understand why we have a big Christmas party when it's not Christmas, but they are good sports and go along...last year DMIL got into it more and wore a Christmas sweater :)

I think this year we are going to open it up to some new friends, so we'll see how that goes. Typically I cook a big Christmas dinner, use the Christmas china, listen to Christmas music, etc. I have that day off, so will probably listen to QVC for part of the day. I don't do a lot of decorating, but I have a musical Christmas clock that stays up year round, a nativity set that stays out, and my kitchen always has a Christmas themed rug by the sink. Ooooh and I will make little boxes out of Christmas cardstock, and fill them up with candy for the place settings.

I'm digging the idea of the rag swag above...trying to think where I could hang that besides over a mantel.

I think my favorite part are the invitations, though. I have an embroidery machine, and I make very elaborate postcards that get mailed a couple of weeks in advance. Most people save them to use on their tree in December, I think. I'll probably start on those this weekend, so excited!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Happy Alice, I couldnt help but giggle at your comment about your husbands parents. Poor things, they are probably shaking their head and think..."Oh...sure, we'll play along, but this lady is CRAZY!!" I invited my 2nd aunt for this year and she's like....what am I coming to dinner for????

happyalice

MHH Member
Oct 16, 2007
MinnieCo - I really hope that by now they're used to my antics, but I think that they still shake their heads a lot. I remember the first year I invited them over for dinner with the fancy invitations and DMIL called me to make sure I knew I sent them a Christmas card for a party. LOL

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
If I tried to do CIJ all out, my family would have me committed! They think I'm crazy when we are all together at Thanksgiving and ask when we can get together for Christmas! Lol
I love the idea of using the Christmas china in July...that just might happen!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
CIJ is a warm up exercise just like runners do stretches before running.

Basket

Retire Member
Dec 25, 2007
Northern Germany
I had Christmas in June ;) this year and looking for some Christmas ornaments on my vavcation in NY and Boston

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Basket: I love getting things for my free when I go on vacation to other places. I have collection of keychanes from places that I couldn't find an ornament I wanted and hang those on the tree.

Went to Miachels today and they had some stuff out in the center isle for Christmas crafts.