January 2013 Rudolph day

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
What terrific posts are here on this thread! Really fun and inspiring ideas! It has really cheered me up... to read them today!!!!!!!

I am REVAMPING "Christmas" this year!!! AND... what a good time to think about that: on our January Rudolph Day!!!!!!

I am DOWNsizing Christmas! (Remember: I have NO children at home! I do NOT recommend.... "downsizing Christmas"... when you have little ones at home!!!!!!!!)

Things change: now... it is NOT good... for me to shop in advance! The simple FACT is: our adult children and their spouses.... much PREFER getting "gift cards". And... to tell the truth.... dh and I.... much PREFER receiving gift cards!

For the grandchildren.... their wishes change rapidly.... and I need to coordinate... with the parents and other grandparents... so they don't get "duplicate electronic games"... or ... "duplicate anything"! So... buying close to Christmas... is necessary!!!!

May I be embarassingly honest here? I haven't sent out Christmas cards for years! This year... I received FEW Christmas cards. And... I did NOT even open.... any of them. Dh opened some of them... and I read those. Many of the unopened cards... were from neighbors that see often... who... for decades... have sent cards... just signed with their names. Sigh. I enjoy giving money to the Salvation Army at Christmas... MORE than I enjoy spending it on cards to send.

Eliminating a lot of the time-consuming things.... gives a lot more time... for dh and I... to calmly ENJOY.... Christmas events.

I love the IDEA of cards. It just is not working out for me.

I ate ONE "Christmas cookie" this year. It was OK... but it didn't make me want to eat another one. AND... I did NOT gain ANY weight during the Christmas season. (I did have special treats.... but they were "cups of eggnog"... and a gingerbread latte... from Starbucks!!!!

Here is the most shocking thing: For years..... I had a Christmas binder... with "plastic sleeves" holding the printouts from OrganizedChristmas. I have thrown it out! A small purse-sized notebook is MORE than sufficient for my needs!!!!

At this stage of life.... Christmas is "festive for me".... if I am rested, NOT broke, dressed in pretty & festive outfits, with my hair washed and makeup on... ready to give help, love and cheerfulness..... to family and friends.... and full of celebration and gratitude... for the Birth of Christ!!!!!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
It's hard to believe the 1st Rudy Day of 2013 is days away!!!!

Annie

Snowey

Premiere Member
I sincerely hope that I can spend my Rudy day getting my paint stuff organized. I want to be left alone in my room and get it done. I wonder if I tell hubby to let me have Friday evening to myself is he will mind? I think it is healthy to be able to have a break to yourself right?

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I'm on track for getting all my stuff put away by the 25th. I think it will all be done tonight in fact!

I did already get my inserts for the Christmas Swap picked out and printed for next year. One step ahead!!! LOL

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
I completely forgot that Rudolph Day is near!! Yay me...I have tomorrow off!!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
We have a very cold day today.... for January Rudolph Day!!!! I went grocery shopping.. before the snow arrives. I got delicious hot chocolate and soup makings and crusty french bread. It will be cozy to stay inside, with a pretty snow falling.... outside.

Our Christmas tree is still in the living room.... although most of the decorations are packed up. I'll try to finish it this weekend.

I have an adorable Christmas box.... for saving $5 bills for Christmas 2013.

DawnSu

Premiere Member
Sep 8, 2008
Missouri
wooo hooooo as I haven't began yet. my Rudy Night will b later this evening as I am waiting for hubby to get home.... But am going out to eat with him & then this evening as he & sons r watching their TV I will do my cards & have my christmas CD's playing..... I have my little Rudy Box, to open & sit on desk....

HAPPY RUDY DAY

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Had a Christmas gift in the mail :) Received 'Chicken Soup for the Soul' The Gift of Christmas which I won in Ginger's giveaway! It arrived on Rudolph day :) guess I'll read a story tonight to put me in the mood :)

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I'm going to work on my journal tonight. Just clearing it out. Other then that, I think I'm taking the night off.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I had DGS#2 tonight, such a live wire all over the place! No Rudy activities at my house today, but I did put some money in our Christmas Club account today since we get paid every month on the 25th.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
For rudy day I cleaned and lined the totes that I store the gifts in. I went through my notebook and jotted down a few ideas from Christmas just past. What worked, what did not. Also asked the kids if there was anything they would add or take away from our Christmas plans, menu, outings etc. they seem perfectly fine with how we do things, so that is good. Gives me an idea of where I am heading this year.

Holiday Barbie

MHH Member
Oct 1, 2008
January Rudy Day

I'm a day late with my Rudy Day plans thanks to yesterday's snow. So, I've got my DVR ready with a Christmas movie I recorded last month and never got to watch and my Holiday candle burning. My January job is organizing my Christmas cards. I'm one of those crazy people that keeps my Christmas cards. I love to look back at the photo cards and read the funny Christmas letters that are included with some cards. I especially cherish the cards from loved ones who have passed. My usual organizing method is to wrap a rubber band around them, slap a post-it on the top with the year and call it good. Unfortunately, over time, the rubber bands have broken. I've got some baker's twine to tie them up and tags to label the year. I've already got them sorted into piles on my bed so it shouldn't be too difficult.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
What a great idea holiday barbie, I do not keep Christmas cards but I do like the idea of tying them with twine

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Well I got all of my pages printed and neatly placed in my notebook. Then I started working on some of my lists, like my menu for Christmas Eve and gift ideas. Like SN, I too will wait before I shop for gifts for my nieces and nephews. They are teens and young adults now and I don't know what they're into. I think gift cards for them will be the best choices.

JennyMariePhoto

Retire Member
Nov 30, 2012
Forgot to post what I did on my Rudy Day

I got my notebook organized, new pages for this year printed, started jotting down gift ideas. That night I sat down and made 3 items to add to my gift closet. I am making a dishcloth for every month of the year for my mother, sister and 2 nieces and myself (Yes I will be wrapping mine and putting it under the tree from Santa). I got 3 of the 5 done with the Christmas yarn I bought on clearance a couple of weeks age

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
I printed off the pages for my notebook, but after work we had 3 of the granddaughters over night. So nothing got accomplished but had a great time with them. So tonight I will be working on my notebook. DH will be gone so it will be a great time to do it.