January 2021 Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Welcome 2021! Today is a perfect day to declutter here. It is raining out. I'm going to put my January declutter goal here for accountability and to help me remember.

January Declutter Goal: Office
Dh is on board with this. He went through his stuff and is content with the progress made so far. I went through all boxes that I moved to the family room yesterday and I went through the three units of books. I now have 8 boxes of books to donate. There are still a lot of books on the shelves. However, they are books that are wanted either by me or my dc. I have a Yankee Candle bag filled with old magazines for recycling and filled a trash bag with stuff from the office that we don't need anymore.

Still to do:
  • Bring all of my genealogy binders and folders, all the paper filing trays and school folders to the family room. It will be an eyesore but it will motivate me to sort through them sooner than later.
  • Sort through office supply section.
  • Sort through the general boxes and bins.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary. It is often too hot here in January, February and March to get too much done but I am keen to start.
I am going to really look at every room in our house and reassess how they are used and how I would like them to be. I am going to reorganise my gift closet and my craft room. I think a lot of stuff will be getting tossed or donated.
I will then need to find a place to take the donations as a lot of charities here are clamping down on donations, they seem to just want cash donations not goods.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I will then need to find a place to take the donations as a lot of charities here are clamping down on donations, they seem to just want cash donations not goods.
This could be because they have too much. With everyone home in quarantine last spring I think a lot of decluttering got done and once they opened they received more than they could handle. One charity I talked to told me they were picking way more than usual.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I didn't work on anything today, but tomorrow I will work on the boxes that we put on the trailer from the old house this week. I need to work in the sewing room. That, however, will be a long-term project.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Hoping to get 2 or three bags of clothing and other odds and ends to the Vietnam Vets in a week or so.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I am on vacation this next week and I plan on tackling my home office. Everything we didn't know what to do with when we were cleaning out my parents house is stored in my home office. Plus, it is where I tend to put stuff like magazines that I haven't read yet.

I also have a Goodwill box started.

Annie

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Dh decluttered the bedroom yesterday. He has some shirts and a suit to go to a thrift shop. Other shirts were well loved and tossed. We got a new mattress pad and pillows. The old pad is tossed. The pillows are going to be saved for a potential craft project. If they aren't used by November 2021, I'm tossing them.

Dd took three of the eight boxes of books to a friend who teaches. I also decluttered a basket sitting on our dryer. Just about everything in there went into the trash. It was a catch all. I removed the basket because it's not serving the original purpose anymore.

I went through the genealogy papers quickly to see what was actually genealogy papers and what wasn't. Those papers are going to take a while to sort through so I'll save them for when I watch TV or listen to a podcast.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Sending 6 moose munch canisters to the thrift shop. I’ve been saving them because they are too nice to pitch. Since none of my crafty family or friends can use them off they go! Not much but a start.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Everyone is doing so good! :D Well, I do have little areas to reassess. January 2019, DD28 and I did the Kon Mari (Marie Kondo) declutter of the entire house! Amen! So, now it's just making sure what comes into the house gets put away (or dontated right away or thrown out). It's a good feeling. But I wouldn't have ever gotten to it if it weren't for my daughter. :) That was her gift to me ... before moving to VT.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Tidied the little cupboard that I store candles and melts in. Found 6 or 7 candle holders that I don't want. DD said that she will use them for her wedding so I will store them for her.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
My first thought was to wonder what you put in a Goodwill box and which organization collects them. Like the Shoebox idea. lol
The "Goodwill box" is for donation to a thrift store called "Goodwill."
But I like your idea. Could make a "Goodwill box" for places like a woman's shelter, a pet rescue.
You have my mind coming up with ideas!!

Annie

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
I hope to declutter 1 thing a day or at least work on it. It could be as simple as cleaning my phone notepad, or email box or FB page. Or throwing or giving away 1 thing a day. Little by little it will make a difference I hope anyways..

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
The "Goodwill box" is for donation to a thrift store called "Goodwill."
But I like your idea. Could make a "Goodwill box" for places like a woman's shelter, a pet rescue.
You have my mind coming up with ideas!!

Annie
Annie, I have one so that’s why I thought it was so funny. My mind muust have been in Christmas charity mode. Do your friend browse you Good will box. My friends do.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I have a goodwill bag. I just add to it, then carry it around in the trunk of the Tahoe until I finally drop it off. LOL

I did some decluttering yesterday in the den. I went through the items that were stacked on my cart and trashed, put away or into the goodwill bag. It's so nice having things where they belong and throwing things away that are not needed.

I am going to tackle my closet this month. When I shop on Saturday, I'm going to pick up an 6 cube storage cubby, maybe 2, and put them in the bottom of my closet to sort my jeans, tees, shoes, sweats, etc.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Diedra- LOL.When I first read your response I thought, "Maybe they don't have Goodwill stores in other parts of the country... put I'm pretty sure they are nation wide!" Hahahahahah
I put some jewelry making stuff in the Goodwill box and I was going to ask some friends if they wanted it.
I seem to have a lot of flower vases in my box.
My Dad was known to bring fresh cut flowers over to my house and leave them either on the front door mat or in my kitchen...
I just have to remind myself, "The vases are not him."
Lisa- I'm like you, it seems like I have the box for quite awhile before it gets dropped off.

Annie