January decluttering

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I will try to follow the 2013 decluttering calendar. I read it through... gives me some ideas!
This morning I decluttered the bunch of restaurant menus I had... most of them ended up in the recycling bin.
Tonight I decluttered business cards... threw alot away... gave the rest of the book to dh so he can go through the other business cards (mostly his).

Not much... but every little bit counts!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I'm jumping in with SN and trying to remove at least one piece of furniture from each room this month. I thought I had a futon gone but the person called tonight to say they were buying a couch instead. I think DS will take it but do not know when he'll come for it. I do miss not having a truck. lol

DawnSu

Premiere Member
Sep 8, 2008
Missouri
as I cleaned rooms this afternoon, I recycled alot of things. either in bag for Mission store or trashed.... am trying soo hard to declutter... didn't realize what kind of horder I was till I started cleaning for others..... wow.... a big wake up call..... am doing alot of online sale sites to make a few extra $.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Agreeing with Lucie, it does not matter what we get out as long as it is out the door. Have gotten rid of some face washers and dish towels that I never used, I am trying to get back to basics and just have what I absolutely need in the house

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Yesterday I decluttered a year's worth of magazines. And I usually keep all the recipe section of the magazines (I have boxes of torn tear-files), this time I just kept 3 recipes!
Will bring them to work and leave them in the coffee room.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Yesterday I decluttered a year's worth of magazines. And I usually keep all the recipe section of the magazines (I have boxes of torn tear-files), this time I just kept 3 recipes!
Will bring them to work and leave them in the coffee room.

Good job. I use to collect tons of recipe sections too. Then I realized I could find all the recipes online. I still have a 4 inch notebook of recipes I want to try and then the collection on Pinterest. One day I'll have to declutter Pinterest I suppose. I have decluttered most of my cookbooks to the library. I let them store, dust and organize them for me.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Diedra our recipe collections are a biggie to declutter!. I too realize that when I want a recipe I go on the net.

Just decluttered the bottom cabinets of the armoire in the guest room. Had 3 address books... one is enough. Put all my Christmas cds & dvds together. Kids will go through the cds with computer games... I'm thinking they need - none! they don't play on the computer anymore.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Decluttered see-through tea-candle chandeliers that I keep everytime we burn a candle (like the glade candles). Have kept some but not all!
Decluttered the cabinet doors of the armoire in the kitchen corner.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Doing a great job ladies...every little bot helps. I did not realise how much stuff I had here, and I can now look at it with fresh eyes. If I don't love it or absolutely need it, it is gone.

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
Just finished decluttering and deep cleaning the dining room. I recruited my guys to help me. Kiddo cleaned all the glass and Hubby sorted through all the coat closet stuff. I dusted everything and polished a few things as well. Everything shines and we can actually find things in our coat closet. I just finished vacuuming the baseboards. We worked off and on this weekend. Amazing how fast it got clean when we worked together. SWEET!!!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Great job Cmerth!

I decluttered & purged the mountain of wrapping tissue paper that had been tossed on a side after Christmas. All is now neat & tidy.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Decluttered some computer games the kids had.. with their permission. Did not get rid of as many as I would've wanted (all!), but half the pie. Now I've got cds with nothing written on them so I'll have to go see what is on there.

DawnSu

Premiere Member
Sep 8, 2008
Missouri
decluttered dresser drawers today, am very happy with my out come.... it was awesome. if I haven't worn it in the last 6 months or won't wear it in the next 6 months, its' gone....
tomorrow is spare room.. getting rid of clothes this week, as hubby is off on a work trip & won't b back till friday. so I am trying to get it out....
Good Job to all that has accomplished & will accomplish.
happy decluttering...

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Ladies you are doing GREAT!

Carrie, it really does help when others help!

I haven't did much yet. Pantry all sorted and threw out stuff and have the boxes and such to recycling.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Purging a few Christmas goodies while I pack. Not much, but some!

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Just deleted one box of Christmas Items.

My big dread is the attic. I'm traveling soon and I've got luggage coming out of the attic. Christmas boxes that need to go in. Scout gear that needs to come out shortly. THIS is the time to purge the attic but I can only handle small sections at a time or the rest of my house (which works nicely with the FlyLady routine) will fall apart if I get into the attic too deep. Plus I'm a clutter-phobe and going into that attic is like walking into a Lion's Den for me. My heart-rate sky-rockets.

Between that attic and the garage there is enough in there to have a big garage sale and make some money. But we do not live in a spot that would work for a garage sale. Nor have I found a friend's garage sale that I can just crash. Do I just give it all away? We are talking items of value. Not just junk. I've donated tons to church groups and charities. Its disturbing how much money is being lost, though I feel better knowing it went to a good home. Trying to tell myself we will be better off and someone else will be too. The universe pays back. Just give it away. But then the other part of me thinks if there was a way to liquidate it all I'd have a good chunk of cash to pay for Christmas in the future. And after the holidays I'm feeling mighty poor! :)

Am I the only one dealing with this?

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
We did something I've wanted to do for years! We've had some rugs rolled up in our attic for 16 years -- ever since we moved into this house. We had someone come in and help us, and they carried those rugs (9x12s!) out. Under them were peanuts removed from a squirrel trap by mice! I am so glad to get rid of those things! I was more worried about spiders living in them than mice! Anyway, they are gone, and my Christmas stuff has been moved to its own place in the attic. It's only a drop in the bucket, but it's a good start. I'm still trying to get my sewing room organized. Hope springs eternal.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Good effort ladies. My friend is having a fete at her daughters school in early March and the always do well on the brickabrack stall. i have already got a few things out of the house and off to the fete. Yee haa

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Tiny things that got decluttered during the weekend

- 4 craft drawers in the guest-room
- Drawer in the guest-room armoire
- Decluttered my purse
- Decluttered coupons in the kitchen (after all most of them end on dec. 31st)
- Emptied an old purse and it is getting given away
- Threw away a set of old bedsheets that had holes in them and were getting see-through.