January decluttering

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I decluttered dh three dressers. Took most of the day too. When he came home he sorted and tossed most of the items I had set aside. I still have a computer monitor and TV in the truck of my car. When I went by the computer shop the parking was all taken so I figured I would wait until I could park in front of the shop. Way to cold and those items are heavy.

I did pick up my table from the glass company. I guess they had nothing else to do this morning because it was done about 10. I just dropped it off late friday. Had the help of two guys to place the table and glass in my back seat.

So far I'm having fun decluttering. Can't wait to start on my scrapbooking supplies.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Cindylouwho, the secret to a successful rummage sale is not location only, it's advertising. If you have a local paper, take an ad out two weeks before and the week of. Put flyers up near your neighborhood with the address. List some of your nicer items that would draw people to the sale. Mark the way to your house well at least two days in advance.

Are there any consigment shops near you? The nicer pieces, you could take there. Or if there are some antique/junktique malls near you, they may sell some pieces for you.

Good luck.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
My little decluttering list:

Cleaned out two drawers....how does some of that sutff get stuck in there?

Decluttered the January-December files so they are nice for 2013

Decluttered the top of my desk...

NOW.....I have to do something with the laundry room....I hate to even go in there! .

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have two pieces of furniture removed from the Living Room. A TV from the scrap room (which is now in the truck of my car, lol).

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
I am making baby step progression. I have gone thru kitchen stuff, but will have to do more. I have some utensils that I may only use once a year. Do I keep or pitch? The thing I need most is to go thru my craft crap. It will take years. Ok, maybe not years, but it will seem like it. I have scrapbooking magazines. Binders full of craft ideas and recipes. I'm talking 3-4 inch binders. If I cooked something new every single day, these would last till my dying day! Or whenever my kids throw me in the nursing home, and we know they will! I have a cubby unit in my entry way, and I need to organize the fabric bins better. I actually got one emptied!!!!! Yay for me. Ok, I'm gonna go easy, because I hurt my back a little while ago. So it is definitely baby steps for me.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Baby steps Pam, it does not matter when we get it out, as long as it is gone.
Good job ladies, my bedroom is nearly done and then I move on to the dining room.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Taking deep breaths and doing the attic boxes in bits and spurts. Chistmas Boxes are ducluttered and stacked neatly in the living room -- nothing will go back in til all boxes are purged.

Camping gear next....Maybe Autumn decor....No, it's gotta be camping gear. Here I go...

Sinus infection is clearing which is making the world seem more possible.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I dropped off a bag of items to the thrift store. Only came home with one sweater. lol

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I am making baby step progression. I have gone thru kitchen stuff, but will have to do more. I have some utensils that I may only use once a year. Do I keep or pitch?

Pam, I had this same problem and solved it with a nice clear Sterilite tote (the ones with the white lid that get clamped down on two handle sides). I put all my items that were used only 1-2x/yr in one those, labeled it something like "Once a Year Cooking Items", and put it in my pantry. Did the same with my cake decorating stuff and cookie cutters. Now they live there instead of it taking up prime space in the drawers. Works great!

DawnSu -- Good for you for clearing out your clothes closet! That's a big job! You are inspiring me!

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
Pam, I had this same problem and solved it with a nice clear Sterilite tote (the ones with the white lid that get clamped down on two handle sides). I put all my items that were used only 1-2x/yr in one those, labeled it something like "Once a Year Cooking Items", and put it in my pantry. Did the same with my cake decorating stuff and cookie cutters. Now they live there instead of it taking up prime space in the drawers. Works great!

EXCELLENT IDEA!! I too have things I want to keep but only use them a few times...LOVE THIS!

DawnSu

Premiere Member
Sep 8, 2008
Missouri
wonderful idea, CindyLouWho. I have cabinets above in my laundry room, that I have little containers with cutters, platters & aother things, that I don't use much. But I also have a list written & taped on inside of cabinet door, to let others know what's in that cabinet..... that way when I ask hubby to get such & such, he knows if its' there or not.....
I also do that in my pc room, in the closet. I have wire racked shelves with containers marked with things like my glue gun & glue sticks. my tote for kids' coloring books & or markers, I have my gift closrt stored in that closet as well.. so it doesn't take up room in my closet.... & ther eisn't much traffic in that room, as no one uses the pc room other than hubby when he is on phone mayb... not much..

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
The attic continues. Dragging today as I got woken up several times last night. I'm setting my timer for 15 off and 5 on (pathetic, but at least SOMETHING will get done).

Made a dent in the camp gear. Separated the camp gear from the travel bags (as in: piles on the attic floor) and was surprised to learn that much of the clutter is sleeping bags. Some people's kids are just hucking them in there without rolling/stuffing them!

I've pretty much concluded I need shelving in my attic. And DH is not going to get to it any time soon. Ikea is over an hour's drive from here but maybe they have this in stock.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40047675/

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I need shelving in the attic too but dh doesn't want to do it. However I do have somthing like that Cindylouwho.. it is used to put shoes in. dh made it.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I did drop of some stuff today, but I bought some as well.. sighhhh.... LOL

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I need shelving in the attic too but dh doesn't want to do it. However I do have somthing like that Cindylouwho.. it is used to put shoes in. dh made it.

Start doing the shelving yourself. If your dh does not think it's up to par maybe he will finish it. lol

DawnSu

Premiere Member
Sep 8, 2008
Missouri
Ahorsesoul, I have done that a many of times... lol lol I go to do something & it isn't never the way he would do it, with him being in construction, he is always different... lol so then he does finish it... lol so yes, I have to say that would work....lol lol

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
:) Diedra I would but I hate going in the attic and I am NO GOOD with tools.. it's his domain. I did talk to him this afternoon about how the attic would be nice with shelvings & storage... maybe it'll make its way slowly.

Have been decluttering pictures from USB keys.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Yes, try it especially is you are NOT good with tools. He'll have to fix it.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
The decluttering journey continues.....I have gotten a few more things out of the house over the past few days and it certainly makes a change