January Test it, Taste it, Rate it (Recipes)

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register
:happynewyear: :heartsNY: :jumpinghearts:

Test it, Taste it, Rate it is explained here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1024

Okay so as we head into January we are left with a budget crunch and exhausted from all the holiday shopping and cooking. Our first temptation is to eat out but the new budget just doesn't seem to agree. Well why not bring some of your restaurant favorites to your dinner table at home (and no I am not talking take out)!!

Here are 3 HIGHLY rated "copycat" recipes over at recipezaar.

Olive Garden copycat Zuppa Toscana
http://www.recipezaar.com/38298

Boston Market Meatloaf
http://www.recipezaar.com/28927

and Carrabba's Chicken Marsala (I can't wait to try this one)
http://www.recipezaar.com/50979

If you also search keywords copycat or a restaurant's name you just might find TONS of recipes to bring those famous meals home!! PS for those of you who don't have a Carrabba's near you their bread dipping sauce is to die for and also available on the site!!! Okay ladies let's get this New Year started!!! :party: :party:

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Re: January Test it, Taste it, Rate it

OMG....can't wait...I will print the recipes today...and add the ingredients for one of them to my weekly shopping list....!!!

PS: Check your link for the second one...the meatloaf...its mixed up...

jkbb2

Retire Member
Oct 17, 2007
Re: January Test it, Taste it, Rate it Recipes

Thanks Christmas creations! I can't wait to try the meatloaf recipe--it looks like something my family may actually eat! :cloudnine:

ChristmasMissy

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Georgia
Re: January Test it, Taste it, Rate it Recipes

Is it okay if I swap out the ground beef in the meatloaf recipe and try it with ground turkey? That way I can rate how it tastes with ground turkey (also because I don't eat ground beef...lol) The rest of the recipe sounds yummy...I always substitute turkey for the beef in recipes. Hehe

Since I am asking....is it okay to substitute for a lower fat ingredient (ie. half and half for heavy cream) or are we supposed to be true to the original recipe? I like twisting recipes around to fit the way I eat..lol

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
These recipes look so GREAT!!

Question, though -- we are very new to a 'no dairy' order from DH's physician. . . seems he's allergic. Anyone know what I could substitute the 'heavy cream' for? Something soy or rice based?

rockin_granola

Retire Member
Dec 27, 2007
Go Colts!
www.rockingranola.com
VERY cool! I've printed out the recipes and am looking forward to giving them a try this month.

Just my two cents, but I think it would be nice if, as we were testing and rating, there were some variations (like the ground turkey for ground beef someone mentioned before or other substitutions). That way, as we're building our recipe files we already benefit from our own or someone else's experience of trying variations on the original recipes, you know?

Looking forward to gettin' cookin'!
:happynewyear:

I am so excited about this one!!!

I am going to try the Chicken Marsala!! I bought a bottle of Marsala for my Creamy Mushroom Soup recipe and have been wanting to use it for something else!

I definitely would encourage variations but make sure for rating time you mentioned the changes you made to the recipes!!!

There is no particular order to do them in. They are generally for you to try throughout the month and great to do on RD,GPD, and TD or anytime around those days that work for you. We all have different schedules and I know baseball tryouts are at the end of the month for my boys so my schedule will change dramatically soon also.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
The only one my family might eat is the meatloaf. But then again it doesn't have pork in it so they may not. We have gotten so used to having ground pork in our meatloaf but I guess I could add it.

The chicken no way would any of the kids eat it because of mushrooms. Maybe I will have to just make it for myself.

The first one I think I will skip on just doesn't look appealing to me.

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
Good choices, christmascreations! They all look yummy to me! I'll be sure to put them in my menu plans for this month.

KimD said:
The only one my family might eat is the meatloaf. But then again it doesn't have pork in it so they may not. We have gotten so used to having ground pork in our meatloaf but I guess I could add it.

The chicken no way would any of the kids eat it because of mushrooms. Maybe I will have to just make it for myself.

The first one I think I will skip on just doesn't look appealing to me.

Kim I have NEVER had the first one but if you see how many rave reviews it has, there must be something good about it!!!

My family hates mushrooms too which is great, more for me...lol They will probably still eat the chicken with marsala sauce I will just drizzle take the mushrooms out of their servings!!!

You can definitely modify the meatloaf with a mix of pork, like I said in an earlier post, modifications are great just mention them on the rating!!!!

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
christmascreations said:
Kim I have NEVER had the first one but if you see how many rave reviews it has, there must be something good about it!!!

My family hates mushrooms too which is great, more for me...lol They will probably still eat the chicken with marsala sauce I will just drizzle take the mushrooms out of their servings!!!

You can definitely modify the meatloaf with a mix of pork, like I said in an earlier post, modifications are great just mention them on the rating!!!!

That's how I feel about mushrooms. More for me. OK you convinced me I will give the first one a try.