Kids Rooms

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

java elf

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Ohio
tarachapman.blogspot.com
Anyone want to share what they do to decorate their kids rooms? I've never done it, but have two preschoolers, so I think this is the year. I'd like to do really simple, but festive things, so I was thinking paper chains, some snowglobes and/or figurines from the dollar store (out of reach, of course), and maybe some felt cutouts (christmas trees, stockings, etc.) hanging from the ceiling. My mom used to put little trees in our bedrooms when we were kids, but we owned a Christmas tree farm, so it was free for us to have a tree in every room in the house. I'm hoping to work up to that someday, as my budget allows. :globe:

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I always got myself a little tree and decorated it with lights. We usually line the ceiling of Samuel's room with lights, ours too.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I keep my boys rooms pretty much the same all year. I do however change their sheets ( I know I am a wild lady :haha: )

• fall flannel sheets (leaves)
    late fall - but before Chirstmas - sheets (moose with evergreens)
    winter flannel sheets (skating penguins and polar bears)...

They have quilts that have large squares with many colours, works very well with almost any sheet!

java elf

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Ohio
tarachapman.blogspot.com
Wow, that half tree sounds cool! Thanks!

patteemom

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Idaho
I usually put a wreath on their door that they can decorate anyway they want. They enjoy having there own wreath on their door. I have put small trees in their rooms in the past, but I've told them if they can't keep their room clean they can't have a tree because it's not safe. My kidos are 12, 10,& 8 now so clean room are a on going issue. I think that is why the wreath works for us.
:welcome:

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
We have a 2 1/2 foot pre-lit tree that goes into their bedroom. There is a container of ornaments that only go on this tree. These are ornamenst that our DD have picked out the past couple of years along with several small disney charater ornaments that I bought several years ago.
We also sting lights around the closet door and around the windows in their bedroom.
They also have a couple stuff animals dressed up in christmas colors that get placed in their room.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Was at Hobby Lobby today and they had a 3' tree for $6.99.

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
My boys share a room and I usually put out a few things But I love the Idea of a wreath on the door! I don't think I'll be able to this for this year but i would love to do a huge Advent tree Wall hanging and double up the numbers so they would each have an ornie a day to put on the tree-I would make them(the ornaments) little pockets to hold a candy or small toy for each of them. Maybe ... :thud:

christmas3

MHH Member
Oct 15, 2007
My kids have their own small tree (3 to 4 ft. tall). They decorate is themselves. They are so proud of themselves. We now have a big playroom also upstairs and I put the lights on it and they decorate it but then when they are at school I go up and kinda straighted that one up because you can see it from downstairs. They also have Christmas picture frames and other nick-nat stuff to set around. They have Christmas blankets or throws that my mother has made for them and when they make their beds they put them on top of the comforters. Then they put their Christmas pillows on top of that. They really have fun decorating their room.

Christmas3
:smile: :smile: :smile:

Jingle Belle

MHH Member
Oct 15, 2007
My kids each get a 4' pre lit tree in their rooms. My two DDs have white trees and DS's tree is green. They are each decorated in colors that coordinate with their bedroom decor colors.

My two little ones also have Christmas stuffed animals and DS has a big Christmas throw pillow for his bed. This year I want to make some new ornies for DD6's tree. She has a pink/green/white shabby chic style bedroom and it's been hard to find ornies that match. I also would like to make some type of stocking to hang on her door or the foot of her bed. DD14 has a hot pink/black/white bedroom, and surprisingly I've found lots of ornaments to go in her room. DS3 has a room that is sort of muted primary colors, so all of the more rustic looking traditional style things work well in his room.

I love having the little trees in their rooms and they do too.

java elf

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Ohio
tarachapman.blogspot.com
Wow, that sounds amazing! I've seen lots of funky colored ornaments at target.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
My boys have trees in their rooms. DS14 has coco-cola on his...actual cans, tied with curling ribbon. It's cute. The little boys share a room. Last year, they had a cowboy tree, with red, white and blue lights to match their room, mini lariat ropes, unbreakable balls in red, blue and silver and bandannas torn into strips and tied into bows. The topper was a cowboy hat.

They had a Christmas bedspread for their bed when they had a double bed. Now, however, they have twin bunk beds, so I don't know what I'll do in there. I think they will have snowmen on their tree this year....although we may do the cowboy theme again.

java elf

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Ohio
tarachapman.blogspot.com
Fun themes. When we were kids, my mom put instruments and music notes all over my tree, teddy bears on my sister's, and sports stuff on my brothers'. So fun!

Jingle Belle

MHH Member
Oct 15, 2007
I love these themes! The cowboy tree sounds especially cute!

(By the way, Java Elf, I know it has nothing to do with the thread, but I have to tell you how I love your You've Got Mail quotes... one of my all time favs!)

java elf

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Ohio
tarachapman.blogspot.com
I know, what a great movie...and I love that it covers all the seasons throughout the story.

Christysue

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I bought a small tree at Walmart today for DS's room. He wants a sports themed tree, so I told him we could put one in his room he could decorate any way he likes. He is going to use red and blue lights for his Cubbies. We are going to Hobby Lobby next weekend so he can get some ornaments and he will make a few of his own. He is really excited about having his own tree. :tree:

dejavu

Retire Member
Oct 22, 2007
Chicago suburbs, Illinois
My 3 kids each have a small tree for their rooms. My daughter snagged my silver tree last year so I may never see that one again. :haha:

Last year I made the kids holiday pillow cases and they loved them. They have solid color comforters so it was easy to find fabric that they would like and would match. This seemed to be one of their favorite room things and they are 9, 13 and 15! My daughter wants to put lights all around her room so I may let her this year, as long as she's responsible and turns them off before bed (or I can dig out an extra timer..). My youngest also is thrilled when I pull out the Santa and Rudolph (and holiday penguin, bear, etc.) stuffed animals. These are only out from November to January, then they go back in the box. They also have felt Santa faces that hang on their doorknobs that my older son made with me when he was 4. Those are pretty cute. :smile:

Have fun! I'm sure your kids will enjoy whatever you do for their rooms!

NLxmasmom

Retire Member
Nov 22, 2007
We don't do alot, but we do have little trees that we put in the kids' bedrooms. They are maybe 2 feet tall. I sit them on their dressers. I put the lights on and they have their own little sets of decorations and beaded garland.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
For anyone concerned with the price of trees, Walmart has table-top trees that are $1. They are relatively small but good for smaller kids as they don't have so many branches to decorate. I just put one in my son's room today, or I should say Santa did (part of our Magic Elf lineup).