Magazine Challenge

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Foxpaw - You are as bad as I am! LOL At least you get bargains - I pay full price to have the piles! :0)

foxpaw

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
After hearing how well everyone else is doing...I think I am going in...wish me luck!

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Let us know how it goes, Foxpaw!!!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Kim, my daughters BF is moving away, so we had an surprise going away party for him. He thought it was an "end of summer'" party, but she was able to get all his friends over and we had a mini luau. We had about 20 kids and it all went well. No complaints and I got good reviews from the friends...Apprently I'm a "NICE" mom...LOL

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Our challenge is "officially" over but we can still continue to pare down if we would like!

For me, I didn't get through as many as I had wanted. One reason, I feel I need to read the magazine!

But, I'm going to try to be better at actually scheduling time to read them once they come in.

Annie

foxpaw

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I am doing really well...I had a stack that I had already sorted thru...that was a big help. Now to figure what to do with them...I think some will go to the local laundromat. I was giving them to a Stat-care but they will not take them anymore due to sanitary reasons. What do you all do with your magazines?

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Foxpaw,

I just dropped my pile off at the library. They have a free box by the front door for people to put in books and magazines.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Now that I am done with the Christmas magazines, I am going through all the other magazines in the house. I have gone through 5 so far and I can't figure out why I was keeping them. There was nothing in them that I wanted to keep.

foxpaw

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Mel...thanks...I will check at our library...I know I have donated a lot of books there...

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Around here I know the nursing home and hospitals take them to put out on tables. I actually took some of mine in to work and put out on the coffee table in lobby today.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I didn't get in on this challenge when it first kicked off, but I am going to do it for myself now. My vice is Christmas and any fall magazines. I did not renew any of my mag subscriptions last year and have just one that is finishing out.
Wish me luck!

foxpaw

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Good luck missjane...I am right there with you..lol

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
How did I miss this thread?!? Ladies, step aside for a professional! A professional magazine hoarder, that is! I have stacks in almost every room in the house! I have quilting magazines that go back to about 1976! Just last night I was looking through a Tea Time magazine from 2005. I started going through my magazines in earnest about a month ago. I tear out what I want to keep. It goes into a file folder or 10. The plan is to put them in my seasonal binders, and a huge recipe binder, which I need to weed out, because it was started long before my husband and I were both diagnosed with diabetes. All that pasta and sugar needs to go! What really happens, though, is that when I finally start putting things in binders, I look at much of what I've torn out, and wonder why I was interested in THAT?! So more pages go into the recycling bags. I recycle catalogs, which I get by the ton. I've started giving my magazines to my cleaning lady, who takes them home for her mother, who has Alzheimer's, to go through (she especially likes the quilting magazines), and then she takes them to a nursing home. I think I really get my money's worth from my magazines! I don't have a deadline, but I've really made a dent in them. I've cut my subscriptions back considerably, and I'm in on this one until the stacks are gone! Congratulations to all who are working on this blight to an organized home! We can do this!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
ChristmasRose,

First of all - good job on getting started cleaning out your magazines. Sometimes getting started is half the battle. It is really great that you can pass them on for others to enjoy.

Second of all - don't mention any magazines by name. Seriously, Tea Time magazine? OMG!! I just did a Google search and found their site. I have just signed up for their newsletter and am trying to stop myself from finding out if they ship to Canada.

This is not good!!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
ChristmasRose-
I know what you mean. When you pick up a recipe that you tore out, long ago and you wonder why you wanted to keep it.

A wise friend once told me that she never tears and keeps recipes from magazines because she said she noticed whatever she was in the mood for at that moment- that's what she tore out. If she had the munchies, she tore out appetizer/snack recipes. If she was down in the dumps, she tore out comfort food recipes.

And, really, if you think about it, any recipe we would ever want in our lives can be found on the internet.

But still, I tear...........

Annie

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Me too Annie....I have a new stack from the last two or 3 years, BUT I did toss an old stack from years ago. Some were used though, but honestly I didn't feel like going through them. They were in my way when I was decluttering my office, so I took the whole drawer and DUMPED it in the trash bag. I took a deep breath afterwards, hoping nothing important was in there. But I did it!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Oh..and what I came here to say was....Hi my name is Michelle...and I"m a magazine addict. I'm still moving through my magazines for this challenge. Maybe I didn't get it done in August, but I'll still keep on trekking. I have been reading the recent ones though and then going back to the old ones, so things pertain to the present. Mind you, 90% of these I don't buy. My MIL gives them to me or a friend. They all give me the magazines to take to work for my operators. They enjoy them between calls, but I always feel the need to read them first. ugggg!!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
M I C H E L L E - keep on trekking!!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Thanks Mel!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
MinnieCo- You're not alone! I'm still going through mine too!

I want to report- I sat down with a National Geographic and read each and every article.
It made me feel so worldly! I loved it! Why haven't I been taking the time to do this??!! And those with kids- you can really show them a lot about the world and different cultures by looking through this magazine. And the photographs- spectacular!

There is so much to learn out there! If we take the time to do it!

Annie