May 2 - May 8: Planning/Preparation Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
This first week of the HGP is the week to try to plan our May-September Calendar. After we put in the "real life events" -- which we already know are going to happen: Fourth of July away from home? Houseguests? Family vacation? Kids going to sleep-away camp? Wedding trips? Family reunions?

Then..... time to arrange the weeks of the HGP to fit our own summer schedule! For example -- we will be out of town for the first couple of weeks in June. NOT a good time to assign major rooms to that week!

And -- every plan is subject to readjustment..... based on real life events!

I'm making changes to the first week! This is our planning/question week. Looking at the HGP on the OrganizedChristmas.com site...... I see that these subjects are mostly about the "Christmas aspects" of the HGP. And we are skipping them this summer! So....... I am using the time to plan the calendar for May - September.

I am also changing the first week to include: The Back Porch. Our back porch is where we spend a lot of time during the summer. It is just outside the kitchen door -- very convenient for meals and relaxation. (It is not even on the HGP!! But - I want to do it first!)

The second week of the Summer HGP is entry/foyer/front porch. This is a BIG week for me. The front hall closet is still a black hole. And the front yard takes lots of work!

This adjustment to the Summer HGP will help me. The heat and humidity will not be at their worst in early May! So these weeks will be a good time to work outside!

Does it sound as if it might be helpful to you to give the Summer 2010 HGP a whirl?

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I am planning on getting a binder just for this.
And purchasing or printing a calendar so I can plan my weeks May-Sept.

I'm not really sure yet how I will taylor the plan to fit my needs but I guess that's what this 1st week is all about.

Thanks for guiding us, SparkleNana!

Annie

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have printed out the list and will probably follow it pretty closely..I do not have a family room, basement/attic, or guestroom so some of my weeks will be free. I feel I should add back porch instead of one of these rooms. I will use some of the weeks as Christmas prep weeks.
I will feel more confident of completing the list if I follow what has been suggested.
I am quite excited to be doing the plan because at the moment I have hit the time of year where the momentum of last Christmas has worn off and the excitement of Christmas 10 has not really hit yet.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Sweetpumpkinpye -- it is brilliant to use our "free weeks" for holiday prep!!!!! WOW -- we might be in really good shape when September rolls around!

Today -- I want to keep dashing out to the Back Porch -- doing Baby Steps. It is supposed to be in the 90's. However.... say I am watching a TV program, and working in the kitchen..... when a commercial comes on, I can duck out to the back porch and do small jobs!!!

My second week on the Summer HGP will be the front porch/yard/entry. THAT will be a big job, so while it is a little cooler in the morning, I'll go out there for a bit!!! Baby steps!

Santa_Elf

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Wylie, TX (NE of Dallas)
I got internet just in time to join the summer HGP. How's that for luck? After reading and catching up on the posts, I will print out my calendars and check the schedule. Going from around 15 rooms down to 6 small rooms I think I will have plenty of free weeks to work on other things. Will need to see what's on the schedule. Luckily with the move I have decluttered so much (and I am talking a dumpster of stuff LOL) that I won't have that much to declutter.

Off to catch up, print my calendars, and make my lists.

Good luck everyone.

Eddie

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Santa Elf -- what a lovely person you are!!!! I am so happy that you are going to be doing the Summer HGP with us! We will have lots of adventures!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Santa Elf-
I'm so glad you're with us on this!

I was just over at the yahoo group on this.

It looks like this week is all about preparing for the following weeks ahead.

And scheduling what needs to be done like:
Marking our calendars with appointments- dr, dentist, vet, fun stuff
Stocking up on supplies- cards that will be needed in coming months, cleaning supplies.

Annie

Santa_Elf

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Wylie, TX (NE of Dallas)
thanks for the 'welcome to the group' SN and Annie. I can't wait to jump right on in. I have vowed that this little home is going to stay clean and decluttered if it kills me. LOL I think that starting on the Summer HGP right after the move will get me in the habit of keeping my home clean, or at least that is my goal. Also my lists so far are going to get me moving on really organizing everything and making sure that everything has a perfect place.

Everyone have a nice evening.

Eddie

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
What a happy little group we shall be. I have sat down with my calender and diary and have started to write what I want to achieve. It is really interesting to look at the home with a fresh pair of eyes and to really take note of what needs to be done. I have also asked DH and the kids what they would like out of the home. Kids surprised by saying that they thought our home was very comfortable and that they felt very safe and cosy here. My kids like the idea of table lamps rather than the bright over head lights for in the winter, so it looks like I may be purchasing a few more lamps.

Will continue to use this week as planning so I can jump right on in next week.

cipalla

Retire Member
Oct 22, 2007
PA
I am in too, can't wait to get everything in order. I will get the calendars done and figure out what area I am doing when! Excited!

cipalla

Retire Member
Oct 22, 2007
PA
Is it okay to post our lists here so I can keep myself accountable with you all?!?!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
sweetpumpkinpye- I LOVED how you got your family involved and your kids what they feel about their home.
That's the kind of thing I want to ask myself this week, too. Things like, "A friend unexpectedly pops over. What do you want your house to look like as they glide through the door." Like in the entry/foyer week- How do I want that to look as people come up to the front door.

One thing I know is how I want to FEEL- in able to enjoy my company and events at my place.

cipalla- YES!! I think we should post our lists as we go through the weeks. I agree with you, posting them holds us accountable.

Annie

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I think that the lists will help me too. You might have thought of something that I have missed.
I am starting on my front porch so I really hope that the weather will co-operate this week.

cipalla

Retire Member
Oct 22, 2007
PA
Ok, here's my list for the porch/entry way. I am doing it this week along with the prep.
(X)Get new doormat
(X)power wash all of front door area(siding,door, step)
(X)clean door/windows
(X)clean light fixtures
(X)clean 2 front windows/screens
(X)trim bushes
(X)new spotlight bulb
(NO)does post need painted??
(X)seed around sidewalk by door
(X)plant flowers in containers for front porch
(X)mulch areas at front door
()buy stain for front door

Last edited:

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Over at the Yahoo group- someone listed this- to do this week. I think it is a great suggestion.

They said:

In your notebook, write down each area of your home corresponding with the weeks in the HGP, leaving a few pages blank between each area.

This week spend time thinking about each area, looking and spending time there.
In the pages left blank- write out your plans for tackling the jobs in each space. This is also where you can make lists of what exactly needs to be done and any cleaning supplies, organizers, bins, etc. that may need to be purchased.

Also- say we're in the kitchen week but you think of something that needs done in the living room week, you can get to that section and jot down your thought without derailing you from your work in the kitchen.

Annie

Cindasnow

Retire Member
Nov 6, 2007
I have decided to join in this summer. I have just found out a great motivation for getting myself organized now for Christmas. I am pregnant and am due Dec 28. Since both of my other girls were c-sections if everything goes good I am expecting we will probably have a scheduled c-section around the 20th. That means my house has to be clean and Christmas prepared way in advance. Knowing I will get tired toward the end makes this summer really important.

My house is in complete disarray with clutter everywhere. I have filled in my calendar of dates I know right now and rearranged the schedule to fit our summer. Some rooms got moved to top priority because they are the most cluttered. OUr youth are having a huge yardsale the first week in June and I hope to take a van load or more of our clutter to the sale. Looking for to cleaning and organizing with you ladies. Hope everyone is having a great week.

Santa_Elf

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Wylie, TX (NE of Dallas)
Good evening everyone.

I have my list for this week.

1) Buy Notebook or journal
2) Set-up my notebook
3) Redo the schedule to suit my teeny tiny place
4) Make my list for the first week - front porch, entry and back porch
5) GET IN THE SPIRIT OF HAVING COMPLETE PEACE AT CHRISTMASTIME.

Annie - I am taking your advise on the notebook. I think it is a great idea.