May 2 - May 8: Planning/Preparation Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Cindasnow - Congratulations to you and your family on the wonderful news! AND -- if YOU can take care of two young girls AND get ready for a NEW BABY AND GET READY FOR CHRISTMAS 2010 IN ADVANCE.............. then the least I can do is get ready for Christmas 2010 right along with you!!!

I would just like to say how much fun and happiness every one of you adds to my life! It is SO GREAT to be a member of the Magical Holiday Home Family! What a wonderful group of people you are!!!

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
I agree Sparklenana!!!
I keep a day planner so my calendar is pretty much up to date of what I know right now. So I will buy a notebook and get ready to get started on my list of to-do's. I think for me anyway all of us doing this together will help to keep us motivated and going. This is a great bunch.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
CindaSnow - Congratulations!!!

I am printing out my calendar and will start filling in obligations, etc. I am planning to do the "walk-through" excercise in my home this week. There are lots of little jobs that I never seem to take care of because they're not on my To Do list! Better to tackle them now than during the months running up to Thanksgiving and Christmas!

thanks for the inspiration!

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
I just signed up for a Yahoo Account so that I could get on this site. But am a bit confused. Are there going to print outs to put in our notebooks? Will that be through the e-mail account? I don't want to get behind. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Hhmmmmm. Good question. What does everybody else think? For me - I am changing the rooms/weeks around. So.... I'm not going to use printouts....... for example, my first room is going to be the Back Porch -- which isn't even on the plan. And...... lists of jobs are usually much too ambitious for me. The most I do is look at them for ideas -- see if I am forgetting something crucial.

Santa_Elf

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Wylie, TX (NE of Dallas)
I am not doing printouts. I bought myself a journal today and will use this to write down my ideas and lists. This journal will also house my monthly goals and the Christmas HGP. With everything in the same journal, I will be able to look back for inspiration or to see what worked and what didn't work. With the number of pages in the journal I think I will be able to get two years in the same journal.

Eddie

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am not using printouts either, I am just writing what I want to achieve in a notebook.

I woke up this morning and thought that I would get started on my plan so I cleaned the front porch. I took everything off the porch and threw it on the front lawn, I washed the window and the front door and washed the porch with a bucket and broom. I replaced everything on the porch and then went to the garden shop and bought new plants for all of the pots. It only took about 1 1/2 hours to do it all and the porch looks great.
I will now be able to cross that job off my list and am now able to concentrate on other things inside the house where it is warmer.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Doodlebug-
I'm thinking the lists will be the exact same for the regular Holiday Grand Plan (which you may not be familiar with). There are lists that go with that:

Click on this link:

http://christmas.organizedhome.com/holiday-grand-plan

If you scroll to the bottom- you will see each week and you can click on the weeks.

The HGP Summer plan will be doing everything except the holiday prep.

MHH was born out of this site. And we will be forever indebted.

Annie

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Doodlebug - I print out the lists - separate pages for each area/week (link above) and then I rearrange them in my notebook according to how I designate the weeks. This works for me. I also put blank notebook pages behind each one so that I can add my own lists for things that might not be covered. The checklists provided are quite detailed, but I just ignore the items that don't apply to me. For this time around, I will ignore most of the holiday prep stuff. I use them as a starting point, I guess. HTH!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
For me.... it is better to write down the things that I DO ACCOMPLISH. Sort of a journal. Goals and plans -- sure! But not generic all-encompassing lists. I can write down what is happening and how I feel/think about things. I want to remind myself of all the things that I actually do accomplish! Because.... I tend to forget everything I do.... and just focus on the things that I do not do! So -- a list of accomplishments is good for me!

Also - A Christmas Open House! That is an idea I love. (It is also an idea that my husband hates!) And -- our house is little. So....... the Block Party (THIS WEEKEND) TAKES THE PLACE OF MY CHRISTMAS OPEN HOUSE. SAME PEOPLE. I MAKE TONS OF FOOD AND PROVIDE DRINKS. I DECORATE. And..... walla!! In MY mind..... it is my Christmas Open House. Everyone has a wonderful, magical time. I get VERY tired..... but it is MAY!!! Plenty of time to recover before Christmas! OH --- and my husband actually LIKES the Block Party -- because it is all OUTSIDE -- in the street! (Not even in our yard!) So he can escape whenever he likes. Or -- stay inside and watch a game until it is over..... and then come out later! He can even skip the whole thing if he chooses! Now THAT is HIS idea of great entertaining!

So... I am doing everything I can to make this Block Party fun! Including -- making our home presentable for those people who come inside to use the bathroom. And for those people that dh invites inside for a drink or whatever!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
SN the block party sounds like it will be such fun now that the details are ironed out. I often feel that I would rather catch up with friends all through the year rather than trying to see everyone over the Christmas period. If we spread out our entertaining it is much more stress free. The Christmas season is often so busy I had for my friends to think we jammed them into the schedule somewhere

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Today, May 7th, I am feeling VERY CHRISTMASSY! Why, you may ask? Well......... there are LOTS of different kinds of feelings that we have in December.... as Christmas Day gets closer.... and one of the feelings is..... "kind of overwhelmed".

I will describe the feeling to you -- see if it sounds familiar? I'm preparing for a big party tomorrow....... which - in my mind - is my Christmas Open House for friends and neighbors.

AND -- there is LOT to do over the next two days! (Even though I have prepared as much as possible in advance!) AND..... this is SO MUCH EASIER than doing an ACTUAL Open House at Christmas!

Why is it easier? Well.... most important..... there are NO other Christmas things going on right now! HOWEVER.... there are LOTS of "real life things" going on...... and, at Christmas, lots of "real life things" will also be going on! And -- ADDING Christmas events to our "real life events" creates a lot to do!!!

PLUS -- there is no "Christmas decorating" going on for this party. I'm not buying and wrapping presents, sending cards, travel plans, attending school and community Christmas events, etc. etc. And this party is pretty easy -- I am using paper plates, plastic silverwear, etc. Although I am buying the ice, and setting up the coolers; setting out all the furniture and closing the streets -- etc. it is still easier than preparing for an "inside" party!!! (Although things have to look nice -- because people come in to use the bathroom, use the phone, change a child's diapers, etc. etc.)

But... I do feel a lot of "pressure" to make sure that the party is a success!

So..... it reminds me how much pressure I would be feeling if this party WERE being held a Christmas. (People getting sick.... maybe even ME getting sick before the party. People coming into the house with wet coats and wet boots and gloves. Etc. Etc.

Bottom Line: I am VERY happy that I am giving my Christmas Open House THIS weekend!

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
i got the schedule scribbled into a notebook. I say scribbled b/c I am not sure how I am setting up this notebook yet but atleast the weeks are in there. I can go from there. I want to get them into my calendar I carry around also. It was a nice surprise that the week I am on vacation is a catch up week. Plus I am pretty sure I will not be in the attic in August unless we have an unusally cold week. LOL I figure I will plan the basic to do's the week before b/c summers we mostly fly by for the day. My parents are teachers so sometimes we go there for a few days or we will have passes to the water park so I don't know what our schedules will be like this summer.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Saturday, May 8th. It i 9:45. Still no word whether the Block Party/Birthday Party will be held today or tomorrow. I guess I will do a quick House Blessing! Dh and I have a 12:00 soccer game -- both dgs are on the same team this year!