Reading Day- Jan 5th!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
After a VERY busy month several of us have declared next Sunday, January 5th as a day for reading. A "Read In."

My soul is starving to get lost in a book.

I plan on doing a few other activities that revolve around reading.

* I have a couple of books to log into my book journal- this is where I jot down a bit about the books I have read.

* I have some magazines to go through and then GET RID OF!

Everyone is welcome to join in!

Fix a mug of something hot, grab a comfy soft blanket, and hunker down with the reading material of your choice!

Annie

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I will so be doing this! It will be the last day off the kids have for break and I will be ready for a relaxing day. I have several books on my Nook waiting to be read.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I am in!!

Sunday afternoon I will have a book in one hand, a mug of tea in the other and a blanket on my lap!!

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
Count me in!! I will return to work the next day and the day before family will gather to choose what they want of my parents things so I can get them out of the parsonage. I will be ready to read. Just need to find a good book that will be good for me!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Great idea...I just read 3 books in 2 days...lazy vacay days. I just finished Nicholas Sparks' The Longest Ride. I cried like a baby. His books always do that to me.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I just ordered Longest Ride from the library. Think I'm behind 82 other people on the waiting list.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
My friend in Houston, Texas said he will join in on reading day!!!

Our friendship started with talks of books-he has a bachelor's degree in English, so is a BIG reader!

In talking to him (we talk several times a week), I said, "You know what I haven't heard you talk about in ages? Books!"

He said, "You're right!"

I told him about our reading day and he said, "I'm going to do it too!"

Annie

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Every day is reading day but I'll try and read MORE on the 5th!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am in......looking forward to it.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I think that AnniClaus…. and her friend in Houston…. hit upon an idea for the second part of our Reading Day on January 5th: that is: to TALK about the book(s) we are reading that day… right here on this thread.

For example…. teachermomof2… you mentioned that you always cry when you read Nicholas Sparks' books. I immediately thought…. "Why do you cry?" I haven't read any of his books…. so I don't know.

And…. Ahorsesoul said that a lot of people are with her… on her library's waiting list for his book… "The Longest Ride". What about Nicholas Sparks' writing…. is meaningful… to some people?

Also… our Doodlebug/Debbie… is looking for a good book (that will be good for her)… to read that day. Can you recommend one?

I like to read novels about American women who are "private detectives"…. because…. their lives are SO different from my life… that they offer "a different world… for me to live in, for a while." Living in that different world, for a while… is "refreshing" for me.

These are just a few random thoughts…. from me.

Last edited:

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I'm really getting excited for this!

Annie

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
How will you make time fore reading this Sunday? Let's try to prepare a bit…. in advance. Arrange some easy-to prepare food? Try to get our houses picked up… and maintained?

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
Lisa, I have met Nicholas Sparks and even have a picture of us together!! What an awesome writer. His books can break your heart!! I can't read any of his books at the moment though!! I need some that is not down, depressing, about dying, hurting people. I really have no clue what to read!
Any suggestions?

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Debbie- Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series is pretty funny if you've never read those.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Debbie… I agree with MrsSoup! Those books are very "readable" and very enjoyable. They "transport you"…. away from your everyday life!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Doodlebug- Have you ever read The Shipping News by Annie Proulx?

There's a sweetness to it. It's about a man taking his two daughters and moving to Newfoundland to start a new life for them.
It goes into the characters and the quirkiness of the town.

I read it years ago and have it on my list to re-read.

I'm trying to think of a book that is maybe laugh out loud funny.
But haven't thought of one yet. :)

Annie

Last edited:

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
DD brought home 3 new books for me. I love having a daughter that works at a library.

Now, I have to decide which one to read first.

Decisions, decisions.