September 2014, Declutter thread

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
putting away some summer clothes. 4 sweaters in the garbage, 10 to give away... for now! not finished.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Added 3 more sweaters to the give-away pile.
Got a few tupperwares in the give-away pile too. Threw out shredding accessories I do not use.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have had a huge breakthrough. I few weeks ago I gently asked DH that if one Sunday afternoon he would help me go through his closet.
Yesterday was the day!!!!
We went through everything that he has and threw out anything that was horrible, stained, torn or just plain yuck. We threw out two garbage bags full of clothing. We rearranged his closet and it looks really nice. He needs just a few more pairs of socks, a pair of work trousers and that is it. I am one happy girl.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Nice, Katrina!

I took 5 bags of clothes and 2 baskets to Goodwill yesterday. Now there is some space in the garage to walk!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lisa, feels good to get it out of the house or garage. Feels even better when you can begin to notice the change.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Did all the kitchen yesterday. It did not take me as long as I thought because I cleaned the pantry a few weeks back and gave that a good going through. I did come up with just a few little things to get rid of but really not as much as I thought.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
got rid of 2 pairs of pants, 2 pjs and a few more sweaters today.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
You guys all rock!

Had to check in and report this because I'm so darn proud of myself:
I just let go of 90% of the paper recipes that I spent YEARS clipping out of magazines and carefully putting in files and binders. Times have changed and I get most of my recipes online now or out of very specific cookbooks. I have my one big recipe binder with my 4x6 cards in it for the true winners. The rest I will now keep in Evernote.

Yep - I let them go. Gobs of them. About a trash bag full! Then I super fast took out the recycling so I couldn't change my mind and go dumpster diving to save them! ;)

Also go a couple boxes off to Goodwill. More boxes getting ready. (But they contain electronics - which as SO hard to figure out what to do with!!)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Cindylouwho, job well done. I am still a slave to recipe books even though a have a huge board on Pinterest full of recipes, so times certainly have changed.

I think that I need a whole mental shift. I have spent months cleaning my house and getting rid of clutter. Today I was at the mall and all I could think of "i must buy STUFF for the kids stockings". Now the stocking stuffers are normally junky, fun type things, so essentially more clutter!!!!!!! UGH the cycle continues.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Sweetpumpkinpye -- I hear ya on the stockings!

Have been spending 20 minutes on decluttering paper every morning while sipping coffee (no decisions - just pitching). Amazing how much I am getting through. Trying not to be impatient and spend longer than that. (Because then I'll burn out).

I managed to declutter my desk drawer this week by tidying a couple items every time I opened it. That wasn't so bad. What other drawers do I have....? :)

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
DH emptied the van we sold yesterday and tonight he's throwing out tons of papers that were in there

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
DH emptied the pool... it will get thrown out... so lots of stuff going with that pool... wow!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Yarn

I have a bag of old yarn that I will either let the LCs take or drop off at the thrift store. I emptied on whole tub from the craft room. Only that might stay in the house is the tub itself.

I found three pieces to a table loom that I will toss if I do not find the fourth piece. It might be hiding on top of the closet.

So if I do another tub tomorrow I'll have more room and less clutter than today.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Great job everyone.
I am really beginning to see the difference in my own home with the stuff I have.
DH and and I will eventually move into our farm house which has 5 rooms. Not 5 bedrooms, 5 rooms. So most of the stuff that we have in this rather large house we live in now will have to go. I am aware of this and trying to scale back now.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
DH got the pool out of here and the big tree stump and an old bike.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I decluttered old pots for plants under the patio and some other stuff under there :)

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
The only big declutter job I listed for the month was my back patio. Still not done, but I'm off tomorrow and that's on my to do list. Besides being hot, I had to work a ton this week, so it got put on the side burner. But I am going to get er done tomorrow!