Summer reads

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
It's time to prepare for our summer vacations! What do you like to read (or re-read) during that period?

I love the H.Potters (but I have reread them this winter so that'll be for next year)
I also like to reread the children of the earth series.

carol1231

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
W-S, NC
I am slowly making my way thru the Debbie Macomber books. I'm almost finished with the Blossom Street series, then I'm going to start with the Cedar Cove series.

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
carol1231 & all Debbie Macomber fans

I just received a newsletter from Debbie Macomber. She has several new books coming out. One of them is in the series Blossom Street. Also a continuation of Mrs. Miracle. I don't quite remember all of them right now. I am at work but will get the newsletter out when I get home at post it.

Christmas Girl

Retire Member
Jul 24, 2009
Scotland
I have to say that Debbie Macomber is one of my faves. She isn't that popular in the UK so it's nice to talk about her books with people that know them.
Her Christmas ones are my favourite and I tend to re-read them each year - A Cedar Cover Christmas is my favourite! I'll be getting the new one, Hannah's List for my summer holiday

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
For summer I like to read things on the "light" side- maybe something that might be more of a guilty pleasure.

This year, I decided to get with my niece who goes to a highly academic high school and read what they are given for their summer reading list.

Also- I put on my list The Grapes of Wrath because I have never read it.

luludou- I'm going to go check out the list you gave a link to.

Great thread!

Annie

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I have to read at least one Debbie Macomber Christmas book each year. They are always light hearted and make me laugh. I'm a sucker for a good love story ending!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I need to get busy making my list for summer, although we'll be super busy with the house. But DH will be gone for the entire month of July so i'll need something to keep me busy at night.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I love Debbie Macomber as well.

Annie - you are going to love The Grapes of Wrath.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Debbie Macomber just released Hannah's List yesterday. I have to pick it up this weekend. There's another Blossom Street book coming out this summer, and Call Me Mrs. Miracle too. I think they're doing a movie of that one too.

No real plans for summer reading just yet!

carol1231

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
W-S, NC
I didn't realize there was another Blossom St book on the way! I've enjoyed them all so far. I got a Kindle last year and I am loving it....

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
Here are the lists for Debbie Macomber's 2010 books. Hannah's List, Summer on Blossom Street (paperback issue) Hardcover came out in 2009. September a new Cedar Cove Series - Book 10 called 1022 Evergreen Place; In October will be Call Me Mrs. Miracle and One Simple Act: Discovering the Power of Generosity (Paperback Hard cover came out in 2009); In November a nonfiction called God's Guest List. Some pretty good reads.

foxpaw

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I, too, am a Debbie Macomber fan...have read all but the latest one...I especially love the Cedar Cove Series.

I have also read The Lakeshore Chronicles series by Susan Wiggs. They are especially good and I just picked up the newest..."The Summer Hideaway"...it has me hooked and I just started it.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I started making a list yesterday of books I want to read. Most of them came from an email list i'm on for our library. Every week they send emails (a chapter a day from the same book for a week) of the featured book in specific genres. So I found several that interested me. Now to see if our library has them.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
from all this talk I guess I am going to have to check out Debbie Macomber. I saw the movie they made from one of her books last Christmas and it was really cute.

Mom/Dad buy a lot and send them my way so it tends to depend on what they give me that I read. I have a lot in my closet waiting for me.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I just uploaded Stieg Larsson's The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played With Fire.

I am also waiting for:

Charlaine Harris' new book (11) in the Sookie Stackhouse series - Dead in the Family out May 4th

Book 3 of the Hunger Games Series by Suzanne Collins - Mockingjay out Aug 24th

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
OOh I am loving this thread. I am getting alot of great ideas of what to read over the winter here. I am a reader all year around and our library here is fantastic. Looking forward to the new Debbie Macombers as I like her. I am reading Nora Roberts' "The Villa" at the moment and really enjoying it. There is nothing better on a cold wet day then hunkering down with a good book.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I picked up a stack of books from the library yesterday. I got:

Club Dead by Charlaine Harris
Dead to the World by Charlaine Harris
The Perfect Christmas by Debbie Macomber
When Christmas Comes by Debbie Macomber
Evil at Heart by Chelsea Cain
Lethal Legacy by Linda Fairstein
Shadow Baby Alison McGhee

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I just finished reading JR Ward latest book in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series, Lover Mine. Was just ok. Have to say I could put this book down. Not at all as good as the other books in the series. Getting a little to HEA for my liking.

I really haven't found anything I'm really hooked on reading for this summer. May re-read a few such as Clan of the Cave Bear series since I found a boxed set at the thrift store.

I am not a vampire fan or a HEA fan at all. It's hard to find a good author that can hold my interest.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Nearly finished Nora Roberts' "The Villa' was hoping to finish it last night but could not keep my eyes opened.
Received 3 Gooseberry Patch Christmas books from Amazon this week. After hearing everyone rave about these books thought I really must get me some. I am hoping to leave them to look through on Rudy Day. They look so good.