Sweet Candy Christmas July 1st-9th 2011 Give Away

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Love the chocolate-cherry story :)
PamelaG - love the site.

Same thing as Ahoursesoul here with blogger - I have to post anonymous on various sites for it to work and sometimes that doesn't work either. :(

Nutcracker

Retire Member
Jan 9, 2008
Birmingham, Alabama
Growing up I always helped my mom make cheese straws, toffee and fudge. I was only 20 when she died and I tried making all three for my dad to enjoy that first Christmas she was gone. With my little brother helping, we made the cheese straws and toffee, but the fudge...We had pulled out mom's recipe and carefully followed the directions including the one that stated add 2 squares of chocolate. It had to be cooked on a double boiler and stirred often. Well my brother and I stirred and stirred and stirred that fudge. I had to add water the the double boiler. I remember telling my brother that this didn't take mom this long to make it. I finally broke down and called my maternal grandmother. After much discussion as to what could have gone wrong she started laughing. I wasn't in a good mood for that. She then told me she knew what the problem was. When mom had written down the recipe 2 blocks of chocolate were those 2"X2" blocks of chocolate like a Chunky candybar. What I had used were the little 1/2"X1/2" squares of Baker's chocolate. So that year my Dad got our creation as ice cream topping and the whole family had a good laugh. Every year I remember that scenario and remember my mom.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
This thread has such wonderful, wonderful stories! They are a gift to our MHH Family.... and bring us closer! Thank you!

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
This givaway thread will close at MIDNIGHT FRIDAY....that will give me Saturday to draw the winner and then a new thread for WEEK TWO will open on Sunday!! :)

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
WEEK ONE WINNER......

DREAMER

PLEASE send me by PM a working email address.......THANKS!!!

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
WEEK ONE WINNER......

DREAMER

PLEASE send me by PM a working email address.......THANKS!!!

Congratulations, that really was a beautiful story about your Gram.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
pixiestick I was kind of sad, because I didn't think I had anything to share in this post, becuase I really didn't do anything like that with anyone when I was younger. No special candies, we didn't bake..etc. But I sat there this morning, thinking the only thing close I had was those books with lifesavers. My grandma gave me one in my stocking every year. I went back and read through all the stories and you had mentioned the same thing. Brought a smile to my face and a little warm fuzzy to know someone else had joy in something so small.

Dreamer

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Lawton, Oklahoma
Ginger, I sent you a PM with my email address. Let me know if you got it or if I need to resend it. I guess I forgot to mark to keep a copy in the sent box because it's not showing that I sent you one.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Michelle - Me too! My grandmother always gave me a lifesaver book. I was just thinking about that this morning on the way to work, too. It was such a treat and my parents used to let me keep the book in my room and I felt so grown up to eat candy whenever I wanted!

Congratulations Dreamer!!!!!

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Congratulations Dreamer!!!

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Dreamer.....can you verify that you received your Amazon gift certificate. Thanks!

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Sorry you missed it...Did you see the tree photo contest we are having this year? Submit a picture!

:tree: