Sweet Candy Christmas July 1st-9th 2011 Give Away

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Thanks Pamela. I just blogged about CIJ...

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Several years ago DDs and I made truffles for the teachers. This was one of their favorites...I'll have to look up the others.

Easy Oreo Truffles
1 pkg. Oreo cookies, finely crushed, divided
1 pkg (8oz.) cream cheese, softened
2 pkg. (8 squares each) Baker's semi-sweet chocolate, melted

Mix 3 cups of the cookie crumbs and the cream cheese until all blended. Shape into 42 (1inch)balls.
Dip the balls in melted chocolate; place on waxed paper-covered baking sheet.sprinkle with remaining cookiE crumbs.
Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm. Store leftover truffles in tightly covered container in refrigerator.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Several years ago DDs and I made truffles for the teachers. This was one of their favorites...I'll have to look up the others.

Easy Oreo Truffles
1 pkg. Oreo cookies, finely crushed, divided
1 pkg (8oz.) cream cheese, softened
2 pkg. (8 squares each) Baker's semi-sweet chocolate, melted

Mix 3 cups of the cookie crumbs and the cream cheese until all blended. Shape into 42 (1inch)balls.
Dip the balls in melted chocolate; place on waxed paper-covered baking sheet.sprinkle with remaining cookiE crumbs.
Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm. Store leftover truffles in tightly covered container in refrigerator.

I have these truffles on my list of recipes of try this CIJ.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Pamela, seems I remember they were really sticky because of the cream cheese .... (we did so many different ones, I can't remember if it was these or one of the others we did that day).....it doesn't tell you to do this, but if you will refrigerate the "dough" a while before you start rolling them into balls, it is less sticky. HTH

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Thanks, MissJane, that's good to know. I have three different truffles to try this CIJ so I'll keep that in mind for each recipe.

One Spoiled Brat

Retire Member
Aug 11, 2010
Christmas would not be Christmas without Oma's Potato Candy....Oh what memories...

Old Fashioned Potato Candy

1 small potato
2 pounds confectioner’s sugar
peanut butter
Peel and slice potato. In small sauce pot, cover potato slices with water and cook over medium heat until soft. Drain potato and place in mixing bowl. Beat until mashed. Add 1/2 sugar and mix well. Mix in remaining sugar, scraping down sides as needed.
Line a countertop with a sheet of waxed paper dusted with confectioner’s sugar. Scrape out dough onto waxed paper and dust top with more confectioner’s sugar. Roll out to a thickness of about 1/4 of an inch. Spread dough with peanut butter and roll up like you are making cinnamon rolls. Once you have rolled up into a log, roll log up in your waxed paper and cut in half. Place halves in a gallon zipper seal bag and store in the fridge until ready to serve.
When ready to serve remove waxed paper an slice into 1/4 inch slices. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.

Yummy....It is

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
One-Spoiled Brat ~ That is the same recipe I was going to add. I remember every Christmas my Grandma would have Potato Candy. The only thing she did different was she would add red food coloring to one batch, and green to the next batch. So good but oh so sweet. Thank goodness for the peanut butter.
Glad both our grandmother's made this unusual candy.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
My memory is of the Lifesaver people Christmas ornaments my Grandmother made us. She put a piece of yarn through the middle of the lifesavers and then used yarn to make heads, arms, legs, etc. Usually we ate the lifesavers after Christmas but one year they were packed up. Sometime in the year they were packed up mice got to them so when we unpacked them they were just a string, no lifesavers. I was young and completely freaked out and could not understand what happened to their bodies. My grandmother quickly made me a new one but that memory still makes me laugh.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
some great memories posted here and recipes.
I made some candy similar to One Spoiled Brat recipe but w/o the potatoes. I am such a messy baker I added the powder sugar to my stand mixer and it flew sugar all over the place. Then it was too wet so I had to add more. It stuck to my hands and wouldn't roll out. I had my mom on speeker phone calling for help (she knows how I bake) we were laughing. I finally got it made and it's really yummy but have not gotten brave enough to try again.

*I posted a pict of my mess in the community photo section

Last edited:

Christmasstar

Retire Member
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario Canada eh!
my favorite Christmas candy is the candy cane. We cannot go without those, ever. As soon as they show up in the stores I buy them.

I always have some with me to give a bit of Christmas cheer to those I meet. Most people say thanks and accept them with a smile.

The kids certainly like them. Except for one boy that comes to my door regularly (once or more a day) he started announcing as soon as I opened the door..."do you have any new flavours?"

They go into Christmas cards, on top of gifts and in most parcels I send out.

:elf:

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
Lifesaver "Books"

I remember stockings as a kid ALWAYS had one of those "books" with different flavored rolls of Lifesaver candies! It seemed like such the mother lode of candy! I always ate the Buttered Rum flavored Lifesavers first! I still think of Christmas anytime I see that flavor of Lifesavers in the store. They aren't that easy to find any more!

Another funny story surrounding candy and Christmas. Each family at Christmas always gave my Grandpa a box of Chocolate covered cherries. He was a very quiet man and always said big thanks to us.

Move forward-- my Grandma passed and Grandpa came to live with us. The first Christmas guess what he got- a couple boxes of Chocolate covered cherries. BUT - this time he said,
" I don't like chocolate covered cherries- your Grandma always ate them!"

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
nice site TFS...BTW I can't post on your blog, not sure why...

I have no idea what seems to be wrong. I've had some comments but not many. Do you get some sort of message when you try to post?

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have trouble posting comments on blogger also. I just tried using the option of my Google Account. It doesn't give me the code word page. No error message either. Sometimes it takes me to the sign on page
https://www.google.com/accounts/Ser...p=http://www.blogger.com/home&ltmpl=start#s01
but even it will not let me sign in using my Google account. It's not just your blog. It happens on a lot of blogger's blogs. I usually can post if I can select anonymously but not using the other selections.

You may have a lot of followers who can't post.

I just went back to your site and presto your 9:06 a.m. posting shows up. Wasn't there a few minutes ago.

Last edited:

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
PixistickI remember those books. I alway got them also. I still have some of the ornaments that came w/ some of them.

DH, when he was little, was accused of eating a can of cherries. He said he never did and his brothers never claim it either. But b/c they thought it was him, he always got chocolate covered cherries for Christmas.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
My fondest memory of Christmas candy is of Aunt Erna who lived one house from us. She was known for her cooking and baking. She made the best candy at Christmas. Once I helped her make marzipan into tiny fruits and veggies. But my favorite was her Chocolate covered cherries.

She died rather young. My uncle had plenty of help from the church ladies. All of them wanted to find my aunt's recipe for her marzipan. They never found it.

One day I was looking at my mother's recipe box. Out pops the recipe for the Chocolate Covered Cherries. Apparently my mom had gotten this from a Fran Cole and shared it with my Aunt Erna. Now I do make these almost every Christmas. I've never tried making marzipan but I do have some almond paste I picked up just the other week.

My mom always made penuche at Christmas. It was my DBs favorite. I do have that recipe.