The Happiness Project

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Have any of you heard of the book, The Happiness Project? I have been learning about it and thought it might be something MHH could follow.

It's a book based on a year long worth of exercises centered around making ourselves happier~ And who doesn't want to be happier??!!

I'm going to get a copy and see if it's something we can start mid year or if it's something that is better done starting in January. If so, we have a project we can think about for 2011!

Annie

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Never heard of it but it sure looks like a good idea. Thanks Annie for doing this for us.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I looked at the table of contents at Amazon and it does go month by month beginning in:

January.

So, something we should do for 2011. The author also does a weekly short Youtube video with a weekly challenge. We'll do that too. Let's REALLY do this!

So, get your Christmas wish list out and put this book on it.

The Happiness Project
by: Gretchen Rubin

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I just tried to request this from my library, and there are 27 people waiting in line. It must be popular.

The author has a blog of the same name - looks interesting.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Annie - this sounds like a lot of fun! I just added it to my Christmas wish list and if I don't get it I'll buy it myself!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I've heard of it and been wanting to read it. Our library doesn't have it so i'll have to buy it. Maybe i'll put it on my birthday list.

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
Annie ~ super idea. I have not heard of it but I have already put it on my list. I am going to try to take a sneak peak at it.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Wow! Looks like we will have a lot of participation in this next year!

happy2bme- From what I know, this whole thing started as a blog. The author knew she had a general unhappiness in her life and she devoted a year to working on making herself happy. From the blog, came the book.

This will be something to look forward in 2011.

I'm planning on getting my book soon so I can be a good facilitator of this.

Annie

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
AnnieClaus...do the weeks build on each other or can you just jump in in any month and just get to the early chapters next year? Or can you just "reassign" them so that the book's January corresponds to whatever month you start? You can always search for the appropriate week on YouTube. just a thought.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Have it ordered from the library. Number 80 on the list. lol

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Colleen in Pa-
I do think the months build on each other (Each month has a theme of happiness to work on) because in December the theme is to have everything culminate together.

And each chapter in the book is named after the months starting with January.

I'm going to order my book and read through it and see how we can work it.

Maybe until January we can, as MHH, work on some things surrounding happiness- maybe some questions or journaling about happiness??? Or noticing when we feel happy, when we don't. (Like, I'm noticing right at this moment that when I'm tired, I'm not happy!) I can come up with some stuff if anyone is interested? Let me know.

I'm going to go order the book right now- you all have me too excited!

Annie

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have ordered it from library. If I can order it from a bookshop I will. This will be so good

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
Annie
I am so ready!!!

When you feel ready for us to begin with whatever this year I am in!!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I just got an email saying that my book has shipped- so should have it early next week.

If I do post some exercises about happiness- not having to do with the book but gearing us up for next year- where should I post?

I'm not sure it should be in the Book Nook- or should it??
Maybe in the Week to week?

I want to make sure everyone knows because a lot seem interested and I want all to be able to find it.

Annie

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Annie I have the book...It is great!!! The chapters are written by the month but the things she did in the book don't have to be followed by the month. A happiness project can be started at any time. I love this book!

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
Count me in as well. The book sounds great. I'm off to check out her site and also check to see if I can download it on my kindle.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I got the Kindle version yesterday and have begun reading Chapter 1, which the author dedicated to being more energetic. Should be good.

I also took the Authentic Happiness Inventory Questionnaire that Gretchen references to get a "baseline" measure of my happiness. The link is below:
http://www.authentichappiness.sas.upenn.edu/profile.aspx
You must register to take it, but the results are kept confidential and used only for research purposes.

HTH!