Try a recipe day

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
After the success of Annie's read in day I thought we might set aside a day to try a recipe that we have been wanting to give a go.

I thought that Sunday 28th June might be a good day.

After we have tried the recipe, we can post on here what we tried, how it went and if we would use it again.

It might be a great way of coming up with new ideas for Christmas(or any time) brunches, lunches or snacks.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am thinking of trying Pioneer Woman's Baked French Toast.
I would like to serve it for Christmas morning breakfast but am not sure if
A) we would all like it and
B) how much time it will take to bake.

In trying it out before Christmas it means I will add t to the menu if it is great or come up with another idea if it does not hit the spot.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Hmm, sounds like a great idea! I won't be here that weekend but will do it the weekend before so I can get it in before our vacation! I'll have to search for a recipe I've been wanting to try.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I might not be able to do it the 28th either (moving dd) but I'd like to try it during that week when I'll be on vacation. I need to find a recipe now :)

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
How ironic. I was looking through a recipe book this morning that I have recipes marked in I want to try. I also have a three ring binder with recipes. Now, I'll get it out and look through it, too. Maybe I'll try a whole new meal. I know some are recipes I want to try for Christmas breakfast, like Katrina. I want to do this once a week while I'm off this summer.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I'm in!

I have a new cookbook with a recipe for chicken enchiladas.

I'm not a big enchilada fan but for some reason I keep looking at that recipe! :)

I, too, will have to pick another day as the 28th is the day after my dad's 80th birthday party. We are having like 100 people attending! Yowza!

Annie

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Love trying new recipes. Will have to mark it in the calendar and put up a very big NOTE for me. I tend to think of three or four dinners before remembering I have something else defrosting in the refrig. lol

I am making a pasta salad tomorrow from here:
http://therecipecritic.com/2015/05/california-spaghetti-salad/

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
i also just found a taco salad recipe that will be great for supper in the summer. Might try that too

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
What a great idea. I will put it on my calendar and see if I can 'play' too!

I am thinking of trying Pioneer Woman's Baked French Toast.
I would like to serve it for Christmas morning breakfast but am not sure if
A) we would all like it and
B) how much time it will take to bake.

In trying it out before Christmas it means I will add t to the menu if it is great or come up with another idea if it does not hit the spot.

I've made a baked French toast that DH and I really liked. A friend makes regular French toast with some amaretto in it. I'd like to try that in a baked version. He serves it with syrup and sliced almonds on top.

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
I have been searching recipes too. Since I want to plan my special holiday meals this month, this is very timely.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Just saw this thread and tried a new recip tonight. It was Parmesan crusted chicken with cheese and bacon....not too bad.

I make a French toast bake and it is always well received.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I will try it too, though not on the proper weekend as I will be away. Maybe next week.

Yum!

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
I am in. I need to try some doughnut recipes. That is one of our fair entries this year. Marking it on my calendar. This will get me going on it for sure. Otherwise I might have just waited until the last minute and then beat myself up for waiting!!

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
I am in!!!! What a great idea Katrina. I am going to look for a recipe for some kind of french toast bake thing that I can prepare ahead of time and throw in the oven early Christmas morning. How nice to have the whole house smelling like warm cinnamon when Dd and Dh wake up.

Kelly

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Our Try a new recipe day is scheduled for this coming Sunday. I am doing the groceries tomorrow so must make sure that I have everything I need for my Baked French Toast.

The weather forecast is for cold weather so I might try the taco salad another time.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Im in. I have been wanting to try breakfast casserole for a while. This is not something that DS would like. I found a recipe the other day for a serving for just 1 person. I will give that a go.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I an working all next weekend so it's not a great day for me to do it but today I made banana pudding cake (it's cooling now) and maybe in my day off Wed I'll try something new.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Looks like we will have lots of new recipes to try.
I will post the recipe and review here once I have tried it.

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
I tried my recipe for the french toast bake. Something went wrong, terribly wrong!! It was so soggy on the bottom. I am so happy I tried it ahead of time. I will have to find a new recipe to try. Thanks for the day and motivation Katrina!

Kelly